Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,189Posts
    • 22,389Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Dec #4 SFD 8/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 619/2017
Page 15
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 8th Oct 17, 8:38 AM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Mothernerd I hear you on the procrastination, I have so much stuff to do and absolutely zero motivation. It doesn't help that I have had a really hard week so this has taken my focus away even more. I need to remind myself to put me first and that all of this is to make this duos life better.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Toni'sfriend
    • By Toni'sfriend 8th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 711 Posts
    • 9,705 Thanks
    Toni'sfriend
    Back from my lovely, relaxing holiday and ready for the challenge (a little bit late).

ORGANIZE: Sorted out the freezers and store cupboards before I went away. A lot of food in there. So this month the plan is to only buy fruit, veg etc, things for son's packed lunch (including HM soup) and maybe something for Sunday lunch when the three of us eat together (although I think I might get away with using up from freezer for that one)
    :
    REGULAR:!All the bills are paid and I know exactly how much we have left. Plan to spend as little as possible this month

GET READY FOR WINTER;:

Check medicine cupboard
    Arrange flu jab
    Check there are enough candles and matches and that the torches are working
    Look out winter hat, scarf, gloves and boots
    Look out tracks for covering shoes for walking in icy weather
    Council are responsible for gritting path and lane but might buy some salt anyway.
    ALWAYS BE KIND: I try but I’ve been a bit grumpy lately. Must do better

NSD: 12

IMPROVISE: Always try to do this. I have a partner who can’t stand waste.

STOPTOBER: No alcohol or eating rubbish (clothes a tad tight after the holiday)

EXERCISE: Walk most days but must try to increase the length and time outside

ONE MORE TIME: See Stoptober. Need to use a few (actually a lot of) pounds

CHRISTMAS: We cut down drastically last year and will try to do better this year. Not many gifts to buy and a strict limit on how much we will spend. Present to ourselves is a holiday in January/February and some small inexpensive things to open on Christmas morning.

BANNED: Rarely have take aways but will cut them out completely. Same with coffee shops etc.

EXTRA INCOME: I’ll try surveys again but I do seem to get screened out a lot.

Hope I can manage this.
    • Mooloo
    • By Mooloo 8th Oct 17, 10:41 AM
    • 9,298 Posts
    • 45,102 Thanks
    Mooloo
    Just come over from Eager Elephants diary.
    Not sure if I can actually join in this month, but I am going to try to follow you all and get some inspiration to improve my lot. At the beginning of the year I had savings and no debt, but after helping my family I now have limited funds and a lot of debt in my name.
    So I need to get my act together and start to recoup things.
    When I die I will know that I have lived, loved, mattered and made a difference, even if in a small way.
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 8th Oct 17, 11:20 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 8,131 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Stoptober- still not smoking- 4/31

happy Saturday everyone x
    Originally posted by Shelbi
    You are doing brilliantly. Well done I don't know you, but I am ridiculously proud of you.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 8th Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 1,105 Posts
    • 8,131 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Yesterday, as expected was not a NSD, but I am now the proud owner of a long coat rack, with holes ready drilled and all I need to do is drill 3 holes in the (party) wall and put it up when DH is out of the way.

DH is in a foul and stinking mood and I am tiptoeing around, but the kids are playing up, he is massively stressed at work, getting more and more stuff thrown at him to do, and he came home on Friday night and warned me he was going to start looking for another job. So, major bombshell. Everything has just been shunted up a gear, my timetable has just imploded, the world fell out of its bottom. This means I probably have 12-18 months to get this place ship shape.

So although I felt like running around in circles and flapping my arms, I bought two blinds (£120) so that two bedrooms on the top floor are done.

Going to fill the pantry today, so it will not be a NSD but I tend to stock up if I know the month is suddenly going to be spendy or unpredictable. This classes as unpredictable.

Just subbed DH £200. DS1's birthday this month, DH is trying to be more involved with buying the kids birthday presents, but does not change his spending habits to reflect the £££ in the month the birthday occurs.

must go, kids fighting.
    MFW START DATE May 16 £118,340 :
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    December 17 £108,800
    NEXT GOAL is sub £105k
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,791 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Yikes f0xh0les. Hope it all calms down a bit for you.
    NST DDD#1; NSD 9/15; Ex 4/12; craft 11/30 (267); remove 6/31 (601)
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3708/£4050; 2
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 8th Oct 17, 2:55 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 3,055 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 8

Early update today but nothing will change now

NSDs:
    4/15
    Exercise: Cycled - 1/12
    10k steps - 4/22
    Food Budget: 54.80/100 hoping I will only need a couple of top up shops in the next couple of weeks this should then leave me enough for one more bigger shop for the last week of the month (I hope).
    Extra Income: 76.84/150

Only things that changed today was the food spend and extra income. Extra income came from a voucher used on my food shop and a nectar points win of £5, hoping these count but please correct me if I'm wrong. I do have almost £19 in my PA account but I'm waiting for it to clear before I cash out.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 8th Oct 17, 6:53 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 22,389 Thanks
    mothernerd

Fmess has a bathroom with a bath

She scrimped and scraped, saved her pennies, plotted and planned, wrangled with workmen - all to get the bathroom of her dreams (with a bath). Great celebration throughout the land. Well done Fmess and enjoy every minute you spend in there.

Mooloo you are welcome to join in if you want, but if you prefer to follow along and start implementing some of the rules and join in properly next month, that is fine too. If you want to join in now, let me know and I will allocate you a number.

Will comment on the rest of your posts later. Brief update of my day. A SFD again. Did not sleep last night but did not get lots done. I was tired but it gets to about 4am and you know it isn't going to happen. About 6am I decided to carry on tidying.

Lots of progress but think I may end the weekend in the position I would have liked to be in on Friday ie ready to finish a tedious time-consuming project that is giving me no joy but I want it done just for the sheer relief when it goes out the door.

Atm I have floor space but not much room on the bed (have expanded that, at one point I had an 18" square patch to sit on). using the storage that I have (old, bit battered, odd items and not enough of it) and concentrating on getting things away, not necessarily where I want hem to end up, but at least putting like with like so I can still find things.

So many ideas, so little time. Will be worth it, in the end. Really need it under control before we get into winter properly. Already feeling run down and not up to speed (forget the vitamin D this morning).

Today I am grateful for good (ish) weather which has got the best part of 5 loads of washing fairly dry (I have a dress for tomorrow and have brought in lots of socks and knickers to put on the bathroom towel rail - will dry there even if they don't turn the heating on), for a good book read and a new one started (a lot due back on Wednesday so gathering them to return asap) and for food from the fridge (yummy gammon).
    NST Dec #4 SFD 8/15 Food £112.71/£150 Travel £6.50/£20 DIY £6/£30 Hol £50/£50 Xmas £50/£50 No Debt No mortgage Dec Clear out 619/2017
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 8th Oct 17, 6:56 PM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 19,606 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    Day 8
    Achieved another NSD today 6/30.
    Used up food etc already in.
    Made mince pies with what I had in. Will use them with lunches during the week.
    Reading the book and the study guide by the Christian author today. Trying to plan and action things in the books to make most of time in the day. Started the books last week.
    Grateful for:
    Able to rest/chill out most of the day.
    Had a better morning today.
    Being able to catch up with some little things today.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Oct 17, 6:59 PM
    • 6,611 Posts
    • 38,128 Thanks
    determined new ms
    check in 8/31

went to the lottie & did an hour digging & hoeing that's the exercise for today sorted

did GC shopping so now at £65.66/£160. Might need bread and milk later in the week but that's it for the coming week

* have spent quite a bit of the day knitting, but not really time for self as feeling quite anxious
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 13/15 CC saved £2372.50
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    greent
    Thanks mothernerd (and apple) about the vets/ NSD

Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up - Dinner tonight is from freezer. Made a batch of soft rolls for lunches for myself and boys

Pay debts/ savings - nothing today

Budgets
    * Food - 113.04/ 325 (stretch 290)
    * Fuel 60/60
    * Clothes 15/75 new pair of cheapy jeans for me from Sainz
    * Gifts 31/150 -
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 70.50/200 (stretch 150) - meal out and drinks in pub before and after

NSD - 5/12 Nope -Sains shop

Improvise -

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 3/4
    * Week 2 - 0/4

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way"
    Debt at start of year more than halved.
    Weight/ fitness = Still need to weigh myself

Extra income -50 y0ug0v points from survey and also 500 bonus nectar points from shop

Christmas - bought an advent calendar for DS3 - that's kind of prep!

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins not yet taken today so still 5/31
    4 - Maintenance - need to contact plasterer & electrician by 10/10. (Have mentioned it to electrician's wife - mum at school - but need to do it properly) Have messaged plasterer (03/10) - no reply as yet and I phoned plumber (03/10)- no longer trading so now need to find a plumber....

Gratitudes:
    * it's still the weekend (just)
    * last night was good fun
    * dry weather means OH got all the lawns mowed
    * DD was seen quickly at out of hours today and got tablets and ear drops for an infection (causing vomiting and vertigo)
    * line dried washing
    * no need for heating
    * my wonderfully comfy new boot socks (bought a few weeks ago and not worn before)
    * shopping from the loft for 2 more pairs of school trousers for DS3 (were DS2's)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1985/2017 items
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 8th Oct 17, 7:31 PM
    • 2,189 Posts
    • 22,389 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Hugs f0xh0les - full cupboards make me feel more secure too.
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,791 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Greent - are you ever going to weigh yourself??!!

Today I am grateful for some great sunshine, for knitting with dd, for dh picking the last apples from the tree, for frozen peas to put on my head when I clocked it (hard) against the open kitchen cupboard door, for a relaxing bath, for feeling ready for tomorrow (leading a sch trip to France for the day and will need to be up at 4.45am and out of the door by 5.15. Ugh.), for quite looking forward to tomorrow (!).
    017 sell 351

Mortgage £23,486 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • moneysavingfamilycomp
    • By moneysavingfamilycomp 8th Oct 17, 8:05 PM
    • 568 Posts
    • 1,821 Thanks
    moneysavingfamilycomp
    hi everyone bit of a hectic weekend so only just got chance to update.

all of my deliveries made and cash collected will work out how much to add to extra income once iv been to bank

Friday was spendy needed a few bits and also ended up buying half price chocs to put towards christmas presents. My most annoying spend was a set of new pans my microwave blew up and as I only use it to heat up beans etc for the kids I told DH I would manage without for now, then when DH was washing up the handle fell off the last of our pans ARRRGG decided I couldn't manage with just a wok
    Sat and sun both NSD big family party on sat and one of DDs friends birthday parties today so no shops.

nothing else changed this weekend and still no heating on

food 68.61/200 NSD 4/15
    i find a cup of tea can solve most problems
    but alcohol solves them all
    first blue baby moneysaver 09/05/1993
    pink baby moneysaver born 30/07/2011
    blue baby moneysaver born 28/09/2012
    debt to pay : cc 1217.10 holiday : 607.42
    • Kerry Woman
    • By Kerry Woman 8th Oct 17, 8:07 PM
    • 2,072 Posts
    • 19,606 Thanks
    Kerry Woman
    apple muncher - Hope the sch trip to France for day goes well tomorrow. A very early start for you.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2017
    Mortgage free as of 1st August 2013
    NST December: Debt Destruction December NSD 5/15 Food/household budget £59.58/£150
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Oct 17, 8:10 PM
    • 6,519 Posts
    • 65,784 Thanks
    greent
    Greent - are you ever going to weigh yourself??!!
    Originally posted by apple muncher

Weighing myself is quite hassle-y in that we don't own scales. We do, however, own a wii fit - so I need to get it out, set it up and then weigh myself - and then put it all away again. I hereby pledge to get it done by Weds!

Hope you get a decent sleep for the time you're in bed tonight xx
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £5278/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1445.57/£500 PAYDOX17 £12239/£10k Decluttered 1985/2017 items
    • ilovetea
    • By ilovetea 8th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 824 Posts
    • 6,228 Thanks
    ilovetea
    Good evening ladies (and gents?)
    Another NSD 6/31 now.
    Wasn't sure what to have to eat today,so opened the freezer,put my hand in, and there was some smoked haddock.very nice it was too.
    Haven't seem to have done much today accept sleep,hopefully feel better soon.
    Need to declutter soon as crafty stuff is taking over the flat.I know most of it will never get used.

Congratulions on the bath,Fmess.

ilovetea xx
    £2017 in 2017. #2 £1,511.20
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Oct 17, 8:44 PM
    • 4,669 Posts
    • 35,861 Thanks
    DawnW
    OK, confession time
    Spendy weekend:
    1.Yesterday I renewed our membership of a local attraction,
    2. Also bought extra food as extra family members appeared at lunchtime and I didn't really have much in the fridge to feed us all and no time to cook anything/ nothing suitable out of freezer
    3. Then Campbells (lovely Scottish online meat and fish company) sent me voucher codes so I ordered enough to fill the freezer and last us a few months for £68 with free delivery. This will have blown my food budget for this month, but I wasn't going to pass us a chance like that, and it will even out over future months (I tell myself!)
    4. And then today we went out for lunch, to a localish carvery. This is a very rare occurence for us, and wasn't really intended (won't bore everyone with the story). It was lovely, not expensive (though more expensive than cooking at home, obviously) and a nice break, so I am pleased we went.

Apart from that:
    No NSD - Not going to happen tomorrow either as I have a hospital appointment and will need fuel and to feed the car park machine.
    Exercise, not much, did some gardening, but the tidying sort rather than the strenuous type.
    Preparing - see above re stocking up the freezer
    Stoptober - not really doing this bit, but felt very virtuous today when I had a soft drink rather than an alcoholic one with lunch. Not really that virtuous at all as I hardly ever drink at lunchtime No alcohol this evening either though.

Gratitude:
    Grateful for a lovely warm sunny day, and getting a lineful of washing dry outside

Better scuttle off with my tail between my legs and update my spending diary and signature
    NSDs for December 8/15
    Decluttering 55/31

• apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 8th Oct 17, 9:17 PM
    • 6,654 Posts
    • 48,791 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Dawn - you can have an NSD so long as the fuel and hospital car parking fees are all you spend. Go for it!
    017 sell 351

• dizzyblnd
    • By dizzyblnd 8th Oct 17, 9:21 PM
    • 370 Posts
    • 3,256 Thanks
    dizzyblnd
    Nsd yesterday and today so I'm now at 4/15. It's still warm-ish here so still no heating on. I'm now aiming for end of October. Let's hope it stays mild. Got the last of the apples off the tree today to make a crumble. Delicious and just what I needed.

Lauren what winter activities do u have planned?
    NST #30: nsd 19/21
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,524Posts Today

6,540Users online

Martin's Twitter