Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    • 2,114Posts
    • 21,618Thanks
    mothernerd
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:46 PM
    NST October ORGANISE OCTOBER 28th Sep 17 at 9:46 PM
    Ninja Savings Turtles ORGANISE OCTOBER

Several people have indicted that circumstances dictate the continuation of September's Super Scrimpers regime and the tough line instituted by Ninja Savings Kat in her challenges (see NSK).

Austerity October? Austerity with a twist because although the turtle way is difficult we always aim to have some fun along the way, provide the odd inspirational quote, offer help and advice, sympathise when things go wrong and celebrate our successes. Remember No Turtle Gets Left Behind.

Commit to the challenge, follow the rules to the best of your ability. The rules are all tools that will help you on your debt free journey, the more tools you utilise, the more you will save but if you are new, it can take a while to get up to speed with them all. Don't worry.

The Truth is out There
    Question Everything
    Be Stronger Than Your Excuses

Organise. Start as you mean to go on. Know the contents of your fridge, freezer and cupboards. Plan your meals around them. Cook from scratch. Don't buy anything you can make unless cost /time taken dictates otherwise. If you are new to turtle challenges or still have full cupboards you could try living from the cupboards.

Regular budget items should be set by 3rd October at the latest (extra time allowed because this is being posted later than usual). If you don't know how much you are spending on food or petrol, now is the time to find out. Question every purchase - need or want? Can you make a percentage cut to one of your budget items - 3% to 10% you decide. Most importantly, Pay To Your Debt Or savings First, Live off What Is Left.

Get Ready for Winter. Checklist in separate post. You decide how and when to implement it.

ALWAYS Be Kind

No Spend Days. Aim for 20 (high target) or 15 (low). You will not lose an NSD for petrol included in petrol budget, medical expenses (you don't choose when to be ill but stocking up would be cheaper), yellow sticker purchases only (no additional full price items). For regular activites where fees are paid weekly (children's clubs, window cleaner) you can set aside the money for the month on a spend day and avoid losing a spend day each week.

Special exemption for the turtle who's family drink milk by the bucketload. Any requests for special exemptions will be considered (some turtles manage their money in other ways)

IMPROVISE. Make do and mend with a creative twist. think of a substitute ingredient, how to make an old/broken piece of furniture last a little longer. Looking forward to reading your stories on this one (not if they invlove sending OH to work in your pants).

STOPTOBER Are you participating? Have you any bad habits to curb or a good one to implement or re-instate.

EXERCISE Four times a week at least (20 minutes minimum but can be done 10 minutes at a time). Get outside in daylight as often as possible.

ONE MORE TIME It is never too late for a second chance. Some of us set goals in January. last month thrifty asked us to look at where we wanted to be, why we weren't there and what was going wrong. Now you need to put in the small steps that will lead to your goal. If you have fallen off the path, start again - just because you can't do it all, doesn't mean you can't do any. New starters may like to set some goals for the next 3 months.

CHRISTMAS Sorry we do have to talk about it. If you love it and have been planning and saving all year, enjoy yourself.
    But let us think about cutting back.
    You still have time to have the 'no present pact' talk (token presents/ children only) or talk your work colleagues or other groups into only giving one card to the whole group with savings possibly going to charity.

You still have time to make presents but may need to buy materials (may be more time for edible gifts). Involve children in making gifts particularly for grand-parents and teachers. Encourage them to have a toy clear out and pass on any that are no longer wanted to younger family memebrs or charity (or sell to make a few pennies).

Finally Don't Be A Martyr For Christmas
    If the works annual do is a chore (and an expensive one) opt out. Say you aren't going.
    Some people have lovely families and love to gather together. Most of us have the odd awkward relative and some would try the patience of a saint. Don't let others take you for granted and don't feel obliged to welcome all and sundry.
    If Christmas is a difficult time for you, take time out if you need it, treat yourself kindly .

THE Challenge will run from 00.00 on 1st October until 00.00 on 31st October.

ODD - This month's inspiration is going to be slightly off the wall. Looking forward to how many of you can follow where others boldly go

BANNED Takeaways, coffee shops, chippys, pie shops, vending machines, sandwich bars etc. exemption for turtls who budget for this from personal/ social spending or who have nowhere else to meet a friend. Dispensation for support for sick friends.

EXTRA INCOME Overtime, surveys, second jobs, craftsales at Christmas fairs (Bunny tales - and tails - always welcome).

REPORT in, daily if possible (I know some people have access problems). Sometimes people slink off if they have strayed but you will not feel better until you tell your fellow turtles about it. BE STRONGER THAN YOUR EXCUSES.

Last edited by mothernerd; 29-09-2017 at 10:19 AM.
    Building a rainbow of happiness and joy
    NST Oct #1 SFD 10/20 Food £71.25/ £100 Travel £3/10 DIY £17/30 Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
Page 12
    • Fmess
    • By Fmess 6th Oct 17, 5:47 AM
    • 2,541 Posts
    • 23,996 Thanks
    Fmess
    Morning all,

Woke up a hour before my alarm!

Yesterday was SFD number 3

12 hours at school again so that stopped me spending. Today should be relatively quick, 6 hours of meetings as it's inset and then should be able to come home

Yesterday I was grateful for, finding a discount voucher for a Christmas present, the virgin media getting reconnected, the tiler doing my new bathroom and my cleaner/dog walker - I don't know how I'd go to work without her.
    LBM = 07/09/13 Debt = £13339 (100% cleared)
    New Roof Debt £1425/£8542
    SeptNST #? SFD 1/18 Food 101.16/120 Personal 160/200 Petrol 50/100
    • Sazzle13
    • By Sazzle13 6th Oct 17, 6:22 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 226 Thanks
    Sazzle13
    14 checking in
    Just a quick reply today, wow this thread moves at speed!

NSD 4/18
    Petrol (parking) £20.71/£100
    Food £4.85/£100
    Entertainment £0/£100
    Food to work 5/22
    Stoptober 5/31 no crisps or chocolate

No great plans today so fingers crossed for another NSD
    • misstara
    • By misstara 6th Oct 17, 7:18 AM
    • 2,407 Posts
    • 16,711 Thanks
    misstara
    Went for a really early night last night so didn't get a chance to post.

Organise - mushrooms used up last night plus some green beans. I blanched the rest of the beans and have frozen until a later date. Had been using up some porridge sachets that my mum gave me but they've now ran out. They're quite pricy to buy for so I made my own ones ready to take to work today.

Budget - £51.73/£150 food, £15/£20 social
    Still haven't checked bank account so see if I can make a wee payment, will do that this morning

Getting ready - chilly yesterday morning so I've popped my gloves into my bag. Got out the blankets which are now on the arm of each sofa ready for the colder evenings

NSDs - 5/20 yesterday

Stoptober - a little packet of dolly mixtures may have been eaten

Exercise - over 18,000 steps. mothernerd walking to and from walk every day gets me about 11,000 and my job can sometimes be fairly physical so quite easy to get the steps in. Took all my gym stuff with me to work yesterday as I was planning to go after or run home but wasn't feeling up to it. Will do this after work today instead.

Extra income - 1hr overtime at work yesterday plus completed a few surveys
    Debt at LBM Jan 2014 £10458.09 Now £0
    New flat debt Jan 2017 £2302.75 Now £1414.77 (38.6% paid)
    Mini Targets
    Exercise target - Run 5/8, Gym 1/4. Groceries target £159.03/£150. NSD target 14/20.
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Oct 17, 7:23 AM
    • 3,047 Posts
    • 25,133 Thanks
    thriftylass
    mothernerd that's the attitude i strife for. To remember the things done/achieved rather than to focus on the things left to do.

sashanut I've got cellar envy. Back in Germany everybody has a cellar even in tenements. Solves so many storage problems.

Lunch to work and some of the apfelmus i made for afters. Short run and SFD planned. Will send of the form to the DVLA to change my name on my license. It's free, yay

Till later
    NST Oct 4
    SFD11/17 spends 574/480
    Exercise 10/17 Amazon vouchers for xmas £7
    Debt - all 0% 1656 to go from 5290 (68% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • squirrelgirl
    • By squirrelgirl 6th Oct 17, 7:29 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 601 Thanks
    squirrelgirl
    Haven't managed to check in due to work commitments but no spends since Tuesday
    I'm having dgs this weekend so shouldn't need to buy anything and, other than going for a stroll if the weather permits, probably won't leave the house!!
    MFW £3510.00/£22968.96: October GC £30/£300
    • f0xh0les
    • By f0xh0les 6th Oct 17, 7:57 AM
    • 988 Posts
    • 7,116 Thanks
    f0xh0les
    Gratitudes: The moon this morning was FABULOUS! Had to take DS1 to school for 7am for a robotics competition trip, and got to see the moon, and realise that by the end of the month, when the clocks go back, school run will begin in the dark.
    Yay!! I think genetically I was born to live in a cave.
    MFW May 16 £118,340
    October 17 - £109,495.00
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Oct 17, 8:03 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    laurenh1
    just checking in.

Today will certainly be a spend day as I am off to Aldi for my weekly shop. So NSD total is still 4. Hoping for nothing sat & sun but we will see!!

Lots to do today so I can spend some more relaxed time with the kids tomorrow.

Made a list last night off all the foods i need to use up in the house, my challenge is to use something from the list on a daily basis

Today I am grateful for 2 lovely children,
    • laurenh1
    • By laurenh1 6th Oct 17, 8:07 AM
    • 150 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    laurenh1
    Ah pressed reply. I am greatful for my 2 lovely children, that we live in such a beautiful place with lots for them to do and my lovely neighbour who returned my escapee chicken last night xx
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 6th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Day Six inspiration
    Correlation doesn't imply causation, but it does waggle its eyebrows suggestively and gesture furtively whilst mouthing 'look over there'
    NST Oct #1 SFD 10/20 Food £71.25/ £100 Travel £3/10 DIY £17/30 Debt free and EF January 2016 No mortgage Progress through plodding, baby steps and purposeful pottering
    • mothernerd
    • By mothernerd 6th Oct 17, 10:04 AM
    • 2,114 Posts
    • 21,618 Thanks
    mothernerd
    Was so busy replying, I forgot to report on my own day yesterday.

Early morning phone call from mum's cleaner, worrying about the kettle (leaking water including on the electrical bits). Assured her that it was on the day's list along with the garden sieve and a rail for hanging more cups (mum changed things round and put utensils on the hooks I put up for cups).

Was nearly ready so set off to get cash for mum, small purchase for me (I had to take my NSD back as I temporarily forgot it) as I only had £20 notes and needed change for the taxi, then onto the shop for the bulky items and then phoned for the taxi to mum's.

Set up the new kettle but was mostly a quiet day (Thursday is my old visiting day so I don't feel guilty if I don't do too much 'work'). Weathe was too changeable to continue armchair gardening. Put together a shopping list for mum but it may not be a SM delivery. There are a few items needed from different shops so it may make sense to 'batch shop' next week.

Will also start separate lists for different shops and get those items if I go near that shop. She is low on tinned soup so one day next week I will go the little Arseda, buy 3 of each variety she likes and then get the taxi to mum's, so I'm only carrying them into the house.

Did more embroidery and some sewing for crafts (just finishing bits), watched a film, made tea. Second set of antibiotics was delivered by the pharmacy, so hopefully that system is now working.

Before anyone asks, yes I could make soup for mum but she likes the tins, they are easy for her to do whilst she is feeling the benefit of the pills (may change as we go into winter and then I will be the one pleased with an easy to do meal), we are stock piling for winter (I've tidied enough to now have cupboard space for things like that) and she was telling me all her plans for making cakes for the Christmas fair - aaargh.

Now she is feeling so much better, she's planning to come out of cake retirement and use her 1/2 hour of energy a day (she even gets exhausted writing a letter) to prepare cakes. Of course I am included in these plans. I don't want to have the freezer space blocked for all of October and November and tried to suggest alternatives (making cakes that would look colourful and inviting on the stall but don't involve hours of work and use up the ingredients already taking up shelf room).

Now that she can't control her hands sufficiently, she has decided my icing skills are sufficient. One of her plans, once I decoded it, involves making seven fruit cakes in cans (6 small, 1 large grapefruit tin) which will then be turned into candles covered in icing stars, for 'them to raffle'. I'm going to need that break in December. Meanwhile will keep trying to talk her down - she always forgets that I am not a bakery full of staff. The year before I made her retire her cake tins she put us both in bed for a week.

Mum said I didn't need to go today. I had intended to but we did the 'after you, no after you' thing until finally I said I would decide today and surprise her. I wrote a list of things (I need) to do, including several for mum so will work on that and may go later so that the day is broken up. Her hairdresser goes late morning and she has people visiting on Saturday and everyone knows to phone me if there is anything wrong. I really have to catch up with things like laundry (that might be the decider as I might be out of socks). Already thrown the bath mat, towels and bedding down.

For yesterday I am grateful for a project turning out well, quiet time with mum and for some lovely sunny bits between the downpours.
    Last edited by mothernerd; 06-10-2017 at 10:32 PM.
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 6th Oct 17, 12:42 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Will update my post later if things change but today will not be a NSD as I need to renew my driving licence. Cannot use my passport as its post-dated and has my married name. It's a bit of a nuisance having to renew it for £17 and then having to renew it again with my name change for another £17 but I can't really be without my car/licence until after the wedding so I'll have to do that this afternoon at the post office. So that's by NSD ruined!

Saturday and Sunday will be very spendy as it's my hen-do. I'm not feeling particularly hen-do-ish at the moment. Trying to gather excitement but it's not there at the moment. I'm exciting to be getting married for sure, just think I'm expecting things to go wrong tomorrow or something. Im also excited to see my friend/bridesmaid Emma who has been in Australia since February! Im sure I'll be excited when I'm getting ready but right now it just feels like another normal, boring day. Then I feel bad for not getting super excited. I think perhaps all the wedding planning has finally caught up with me and now I'm in this 'I want it all to be over and done with' frame of mind as it's taken so much out of me!

I regretted using entertainment budget last night on my takeaway as it wasn't great (I had butter chicken, won't be having that again!). It's what that budget is there for so I'm not particularly bothered about spending it just a bit disappointed that we dipped into it so early on in the month.

Tonight I'll make something from scratch as I'm off today. I'm not back at work until Tuesday.

Overtime was offered but I didn't take it - we work to time standards in the office and overtime would be granted but would not be in line with time standards (expected to do one third more of work than usual) which would be fine but I'd be claiming 4 hours overtime and working six hours to get the work finished. We would not get time back for extra two hours - so two hours would be un-paid and not given back. I'm not doing that - there is no incentive to be even more overworked and underpaid than we already are! Think it may have been a ploy to ensure no-one wants to do the overtime!
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 9/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • thriftylass
    • By thriftylass 6th Oct 17, 12:56 PM
    • 3,047 Posts
    • 25,133 Thanks
    thriftylass
    Will update my post later if things change but today will not be a NSD as I need to renew my driving licence. Cannot use my passport as its post-dated and has my married name. It's a bit of a nuisance having to renew it for £17 and then having to renew it again with my name change for another £17 but I can't really be without my car/licence until after the wedding so I'll have to do that this afternoon at the post office. So that's by NSD ruined!
    Originally posted by Lauralozzle
    Just changing you name on one of those plastic ones is free unless you have to provide a new photo which you'll only have to do once if even necessary. They'll reuse it for your name change. I'll do mine next week.
    NST Oct 4
    SFD11/17 spends 574/480
    Exercise 10/17 Amazon vouchers for xmas £7
    Debt - all 0% 1656 to go from 5290 (68% paid off)
    DFD 2/2018 Mortgage 109343 (04/17) 16 years left
    • Lauralozzle
    • By Lauralozzle 6th Oct 17, 1:26 PM
    • 437 Posts
    • 4,097 Thanks
    Lauralozzle
    Ohh that's good - I know this one (the one I do today) will cost £17 as need a new photo but I shouldn't need a new photo in a months time! that's made me somewhat happier!!!

EDIT: Well, licence sorted but it was £21.50 as I forgot the cost of a new photo! Oh dear!
    Last edited by Lauralozzle; 06-10-2017 at 3:39 PM.
    October grocery challenge £150.54/£200 | October cleaning budget £75.16/£75 | October NSD 9/15
    Credit Card: £220 (0%) | Car Finance: £8,240 (7.9% APR) | Mortgage: £111,684 (3.99% APR)
    Wedding Fund: £3,564.74
    • Jellybean88
    • By Jellybean88 6th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    Jellybean88
    Check in for yesterday and today .

No spends yesterday. I went for a coffee with my mum and dad, she paid for me. I didn't end up getting enough time to look around town, so guess thats a bonus .

Took my daughter and a friends daughter to the baking club, as I drove my friend said she'd buy me a coffee.

Today

I had to buy milk today, so need to take that off of my budget . I need to go shopping, I have food for dinner tonight and really don't have the willpower to venture out to shop. I'll probably pop to the shop before the gym, hopefully get some reduced food too.
    • Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 6th Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 155 Posts
    • 743 Thanks
    Scrimps
    36 checking in
    Hi all, hope you had a good day.
    Checking in early as I need to do a load of housy stuff then bath and bed I think. Bit of a day of it today and really want to finish the decorating before Im back at work on Wednesday.

NSD 2/20

No progress on anything else as yet today - hopefully I will make some organising/winter prep progress this evening
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 6th Oct 17, 5:56 PM
    • 230 Posts
    • 1,043 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Day 6

I'm really getting in to the swing of this now and feeling very positive about it.

NSDs:
    4/15 another NSD, I can't believe how easy I am finding it to do these, I thought I would really struggle. Tomorrow I am going to treat me and the small so it won't be a NSD but I will spend as little as possible.
    Exercise: Cycled - 1/12 haven't been in to uni the past couple of days.
    10k steps - 4/22 I am enjoying getting out for a nice walk each day, its amazing what this can do to your mood.
    Food Budget: 15.58/100 remains unchanged.
    Extra Income: 66.84/150 £5 amazon voucher from swagbucks today.

I put in a complaint for a bad experience at a restaurant last week, today I received 2 vouchers, each for 1 main meal. The great thing about this is that me and the small have tickets for disney on ice in a few weeks and we had already decided that we were going to this particular chain so now I will save myself at least £20/£30.
    Debt 14/10/17/20/9/17 5395.16/5690.50 = Loan: 2065.32/2207.38 Car Loan: 2292.94/2419.64 0% CC: 1036.90/1063.48 DFD April 19 (Target Dec 18).
    Make up to £10 a day challenge: £110.51/£150..NSD October 12/15
    • fruitloop04
    • By fruitloop04 6th Oct 17, 6:51 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 432 Thanks
    fruitloop04
    Just caught up with posts - everyone is doing really well

My totals are so far:
    NSD: 4/20
    Food: £85.04/£280
    Personal: £17.03/£100
    Alcohol Free Days: 4 (Won't be one tomorrow as having wine with a friend!)
    Exercise: Only Tuesday so far and will do a youtube session tonight. Aiming to go to the gym on Saturday and possible Sunday.

Grateful for: My sister and her baby going home :
    16.08.2017 CC 1 - £2050 £1603.47 CC 2 - £1766.82 £1163.36 Emergency savings: £1000/£6000
    Mortgage - April 2017 £153,000 £149,954
    Debt free by xmas: 1070.86/1500
    (Non Mortgage) Debt Free Date: August 2018
    • greent
    • By greent 6th Oct 17, 7:40 PM
    • 6,300 Posts
    • 63,856 Thanks
    greent
    Day 6........
    fruitloop - great news re your sister & baby

Organise/ Cook from Scratch/ Use things up - All food from stores.

Pay debts/ savings - nothing today

Budgets
    * Food - 30.14/ 325 (stretch 290)
    * Fuel 60/60
    * Clothes 0/75
    * Gifts 12/150
    * Toiletries 0/10
    * Social 0/200 (stretch 150)

NSD - 5/12 Have only ventured out of the house for school run. No shops

Improvise -

Exercise
    * Week 1 - 3/4 - 1/2 hour gardening tonight, clearing leaves and bedding plants

Jan Goals - "By the end of the year I want to have halved the (non mtge) debt we have and have lost 20lbs - and also get fitter along the way"
    Debt at start of year more than halved.
    Weight/ fitness = Still need to weigh myself again

Extra income -Nothing today

Christmas

Get Ready Checklist
    1 - Health - vitamins taken today so 5/31
    4 - Maintenance - need to contact plasterer & electrician by 10/10. (Have mentioned it to electrician's wife - mum at school - but need to do it properly) OH has messaged plumber we used for bathrooms before - fingers crossed he still has the same email.....
    Have messaged plasterer (03/10) - no reply as yet and I phoned plumber (03/10)- no longer trading so now need to find a plumber....

Gratitudes:
    * getting washing dry
    * getting kitchen cleaned
    * freezer hm ready meals for dinner - quick and easy
    * it's Friday

Tomorrow will not be NSD - out for dinner with friends (inc in social budget) and DS1 may be going to barbers
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) Bal 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Next: BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786. 2017 OPs (#18) £4607/£3286
    Net sales 2017 £1202.80/£500 PAYDOX17 £11635/£10k Decluttered 1650/2017 items
    • apple muncher
    • By apple muncher 6th Oct 17, 7:46 PM
    • 6,424 Posts
    • 46,881 Thanks
    apple muncher
    Thank you fr all the suggestions for vegan food. I have had a good ol' read!

Today I am grateful for a peaceful day, for a lovely hot bath (sorry fmess!) , for speedy buses, for a dry day, for getting some knitting done, for dd enjoying her online maths work, for Friday night meaning fish, chips and peas, for 2 refunds from V1rg1n trains for late arrivals in the summer totalling £90, for being able to help dd's school with something, for a lovely phone call from big sis.
    NST Organise October #10; NSD 12/20; Ex 6/20; craft 6/31 (212); remove 514
    2017 MFW#63 Pay off: £3320/£4050; 2
    017 sell 116

Mortgage £23,689 (01/14: £78,201; 01/15: £59,629; 01/16: 39,915; 01/17: 27,295) MFWDate Dec 2018
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 6th Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 6,538 Posts
    • 37,610 Thanks
    determined new ms

Saturday and Sunday will be very spendy as it's my hen-do. I'm not feeling particularly hen-do-ish at the moment. Trying to gather excitement but it's not there at the moment. I'm exciting to be getting married for sure, just think I'm expecting things to go wrong tomorrow or something. Im also excited to see my friend/bridesmaid Emma who has been in Australia since February! Im sure I'll be excited when I'm getting ready but right now it just feels like another normal, boring day. Then I feel bad for not getting super excited. I think perhaps all the wedding planning has finally caught up with me and now I'm in this 'I want it all to be over and done with' frame of mind as it's taken so much out of me!

I regretted using entertainment budget last night on my takeaway as it wasn't great (I had butter chicken, won't be having that again!). It's what that budget is there for so I'm not particularly bothered about spending it just a bit disappointed that we dipped into it so early on in the month.

Tonight I'll make something from scratch as I'm off today. I'm not back at work until Tuesday.

Overtime was offered but I didn't take it - we work to time standards in the office and overtime would be granted but would not be in line with time standards (expected to do one third more of work than usual) which would be fine but I'd be claiming 4 hours overtime and working six hours to get the work finished. We would not get time back for extra two hours - so two hours would be un-paid and not given back. I'm not doing that - there is no incentive to be even more overworked and underpaid than we already are! Think it may have been a ploy to ensure no-one wants to do the overtime!
    Originally posted by Lauralozzle
    Honestly that is taking the mick re ot! ahhhhhh! It makes me so mad how over recent years employers seem to expect more and more. I work for a charity and often work a bit extra because there are important things to do for my clients. BUT I feel that is my choice and something I am giving freely. But a lot of the time - and I've had 3 employers over the last 4 years and all 3 have expected you to do more than your contracted hours - more and more these days there are expectations you will do stuff outside of your contracted hours for gratis, and it's not even as if it's asked!

I always feel like that about take out. Trying to break the habit, although tbf we only have had take outs max 1 x month over recent years. It just isn't worth it, better to have a couple of frozen pizzas in the freezer for when you cba
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling '16 £287.33 Roadkill £28.25
    Wombling YTD £2982.2/Roadkill £8.63
    SFDs Oct 12/15 CC saved £2372.50
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

12Posts Today

4,285Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin