Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Maureen43
    • By Maureen43 28th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    • 474Posts
    • 633Thanks
    Maureen43
    Car recommendations!
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:41 PM
    Car recommendations! 28th Sep 17 at 6:41 PM
    Hello All

I wonder if you can recommend some car models to me?

My mum is looking for something small. She currently drives a Peugeot 107 which has died.

Her requirements are: Economical, £20 tax if possible, good all rounder, good reviews, five door.

She's looking for something two or three years old.

TIA
    Maureen
Page 1
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 28th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 423 Posts
    • 216 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:46 PM
    Honda Jazz.
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 28th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 3,930 Posts
    • 3,328 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 28th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 7:01 PM
    Budget ?

Don't fret about the tax bracket - that's a minor cost in the grand scheme of owning a car.

What do you mean by "good all rounder" ? She wants to tow occasionally ? She wants to fit 3 child seats in ? She goes off-road ?

Why 5-door ? Something like the Toyota Aygo, or it's Peugeot or Citroen clones may suffice ?

The Fiat Panda is often mentioned here as a decent car.

As above, the Honda Jazz gets rave reviews. But if you're looking at a 2-3 year old car, you're still going to be spending a fair chunk of money, so it makes sense to establish more clearly what you really want/need from a car.
    Last edited by Ebe Scrooge; 28-09-2017 at 7:03 PM.
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • Stoke
    • By Stoke 28th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 1,933 Posts
    • 704 Thanks
    Stoke
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:10 PM
    Golf, Focus?

Two of the best all round cars on the planet.
    • Clive Woody
    • By Clive Woody 28th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 4,392 Posts
    • 5,005 Thanks
    Clive Woody
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:12 PM
    Skoda Fabia (get the estate if she wants a big boot)
    Rugby Union - The Greatest Game
    • Shaka_Zulu
    • By Shaka_Zulu 29th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 1,026 Posts
    • 2,335 Thanks
    Shaka_Zulu
    • 29th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 8:47 AM
    My mother in her 80s went for a Toyota Auris she seems to like it.
    ‘I’m not in favour of this new-age drippiness’ JRM
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 29th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 7,094 Posts
    • 5,487 Thanks
    daveyjp
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 10:44 AM
    Another vote for a Jazz, all those pensioners can't be wrong!

The other bonus is Honda dealers are generally well regarded.

My dad is on his second Jazz. I don't like it, but for what he needs it serves him well and both have been totally reliable, never developing mechanical faults.

Even after the warranty expired on his first one the dealer managed to get Honda to pay for niggly issues such as split door seals as he had FDSH.

Second call would be a Yaris. Good dealers and 5 year warranty.
    • peter_the_piper
    • By peter_the_piper 29th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 26,058 Posts
    • 33,001 Thanks
    peter_the_piper
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:46 AM
    Kia Picanto, zero tax, cheap insurance, cheap to buy (£8-12000 new) economical. Whats not to like.
    Last edited by peter_the_piper; 29-09-2017 at 5:47 PM.
    I'd rather be an Optimist and be proved wrong than a Pessimist and be proved right.
    • Lucky Duck
    • By Lucky Duck 29th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 78 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Lucky Duck
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 29th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    Honda Jazz.
    Originally posted by Warwick Hunt
    Agreed (plus some added characters)
    • luvchocolate
    • By luvchocolate 29th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,469 Posts
    • 1,324 Thanks
    luvchocolate
    Hyundai i10
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 29th Sep 17, 1:59 PM
    • 1,215 Posts
    • 570 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    Cars registered after April 2017 are mostly taxed at £140/year. You pay less tax on small cars registered prior to April 17.

The VW Polo, Seat Ibiza and Skoda Fabia are all based on the same components. The Fabia is particularly popular and good value. Seat cars serviced by Seat dealers include 12 months Europe wide breakdown and recovery, making annual running costs a few quid cheaper if you use a breakdown service. Only available online, see:
    http://www.seat.co.uk/owners/your-seat/servicing-maintenance/fixed-price-servicing.html

Not sure if other manufacturers include such packages, oddly VW do not!
    • Nagme
    • By Nagme 3rd Oct 17, 12:29 PM
    • 322 Posts
    • 477 Thanks
    Nagme
    My mum loves her Skoda Citigo, very similar to the Peugeot 106 and has received various awards.
    • ss53
    • By ss53 3rd Oct 17, 12:44 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    ss53
    Another vote for Hyundai i10
    • elsien
    • By elsien 3rd Oct 17, 12:54 PM
    • 15,170 Posts
    • 38,026 Thanks
    elsien
    Skoda fabia.
    Used by myself for work (average mileage 1000 per month) hoiking dog in crate around the place and general use as a shed.
    Also used by 80 year old auntie for a day to day car with no long journeys.
    Mine is 11 years old and still going strong, Auntie changes hers every 2 or 3 years. Both equally happy with it.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • LauBar
    • By LauBar 3rd Oct 17, 5:43 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    LauBar
    2 or 3 years old you can't go wrong with Kia or Hyundai. At 3 years old you've still got another 4 years of warrenty on a Kia and 2 on a Hyundai and with the complexity and parts costs of modern cars a warrenty is a very worthwhile asset.

Also, the current crop of Korean cars, despite being marginally cheaper, are better built, have nicer interiors, and come with much more in the way of toys than any equivalent from Vauxhall, Ford, Nissan, Renault etc.

I honestly don't know why anyone buys anything else. And that's from someone who owns 2 VW's!
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 4th Oct 17, 12:25 AM
    • 10,358 Posts
    • 6,651 Thanks
    bigadaj
    2 or 3 years old you can't go wrong with Kia or Hyundai. At 3 years old you've still got another 4 years of warrenty on a Kia and 2 on a Hyundai and with the complexity and parts costs of modern cars a warrenty is a very worthwhile asset.

Also, the current crop of Korean cars, despite being marginally cheaper, are better built, have nicer interiors, and come with much more in the way of toys than any equivalent from Vauxhall, Ford, Nissan, Renault etc.

I honestly don't know why anyone buys anything else. And that's from someone who owns 2 VW's!
    Originally posted by LauBar
    Korean care are fine, though I'd argue with the cost comparison.

I bought my current Vauxhall partly because it was cheaper than the equivalent Kia or Hyundai. It was a year old so your comment could have something to do with even more inflated new car prices on traditional makes maybe.
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 15th Oct 17, 7:47 PM
    • 14,832 Posts
    • 126,660 Thanks
    zagubov
    Another vote for the i10. A TARDIS of a car that you can park on a postage stamp, but still surprisingly roomy. Quite peppy /nippy too unlike some VWs I've owned.
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • mr_accountant
    • By mr_accountant 15th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 625 Posts
    • 152 Thanks
    mr_accountant
    Another vote for the i10. A TARDIS of a car that you can park on a postage stamp, but still surprisingly roomy. Quite peppy /nippy too unlike some VWs I've owned.
    Originally posted by zagubov
    ive owned a mark 1 i10 from 2009 to 2016 and an i20 mark 1.5 facelift since 2016 so I think I can give a good and fair opinion.

I liked the i10 it was untouchable when it came to room for a city car, very impressed and also has a peach of an engine 1.25 kappa 75 bhp (or thereabouts) plus it was loaded, when my i20 was in the dealer for some servicing i had the new version i10 as a courtesy, it was the i10 1.0 air, having read all the reviews i was rather excited, only to be met with a damp squid, overall it was poor, the 1 litre engine was noisy and slow, the car was noisy (contrary to all the reviews on how quiet it was) and it was base spec, so overall i was not impressed, though I will reserve full judgement until I try a higher spec version of the i10 like a 1.25 SE or similar. i thought the old version was a better car

When i went back to the i20 it was like being in a limousine it felt MUCH quieter and of course far more substantial. The i20 is also a big supermini meaning 4 can travel some distance with some luggage in the big boot, also its very stable at high speeds and the speedo is vitally spot on (only around 1mph out) which probably explains why at 85mph (on the race track of course) its flying past most. on the downside the ride is hard over bumps and it can get noisy on rough tarmac surfaces at higher speeds.

Overall whilst would not discount the new i10 i think the i20 mark 1.5 is a much better car overall in terms of comfort safety and refinement, and cheap tax £30pa with the 1.25 84 bhp kappa engine, which is all you need for both motorway and town.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,818Posts Today

10,342Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin