Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • djrobmac
    • By djrobmac 28th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    • 412Posts
    • 142Thanks
    djrobmac
    Old cahoot account in arrears - New Santander 123 account
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:44 PM
    Old cahoot account in arrears - New Santander 123 account 28th Sep 17 at 4:44 PM
    Ok so I have really old debts with cahoot that I was never chased for, we are talking maybe 10 years ago now, so statue barred. If I put my money into Santander (who owns cahoot) can they take the money I owe them from a new Santander 123 account?

Thanks in advance
    Hardcore moneysaver
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 28th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 12,670 Posts
    • 12,004 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    Yes, if records still exist of the debt, they can use the right of set off.

A debt been statute barred does not stop them reclaiming there money in this situation.

But it would all depend if, as said, records still exist or not.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • djrobmac
    • By djrobmac 28th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    djrobmac
    • 28th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 5:02 PM
    Yes, if records still exist of the debt, they can use the right of set off.

A debt been statute barred does not stop them reclaiming there money in this situation.

But it would all depend if, as said, records still exist or not.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    WOW! Thanks for this. Records do definitely exist as I do still get statements showing how much I owe but instead of saying cahoot, its addressed from Santander now. No threats of payment, just the amount owed.
    Hardcore moneysaver
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 29th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 12,670 Posts
    • 12,004 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:54 PM
    You would be best advised not to use that account if i were you.

You can write and tell them the debt is statute barred, but to be safe, don't use that account again.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • djrobmac
    • By djrobmac 2nd Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 142 Thanks
    djrobmac
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    You would be best advised not to use that account if i were you.

You can write and tell them the debt is statute barred, but to be safe, don't use that account again.
    Originally posted by sourcrates
    I owe you my friend Withdrew and closed the account within 10 mins of your first post haha. Thanks!!!!!!!
    Hardcore moneysaver
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,398Posts Today

7,666Users online

Martin's Twitter