Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 28th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 55Posts
    • 125Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    My New Frugal Life
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    My New Frugal Life 28th Sep 17 at 4:40 PM
    Hi all, I used to post quite a bit under a different name on DFW forum but have lost my log in, also my situation changed dramatically so I'm taking this opportunity to create a fresh new log in and start my new frugal life

I will be back with a quick intro and my plans a little bit later on
Page 5
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 17th Dec 17, 3:46 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Hi there NFL

I've been reading your diary with interest. Will subscribe!!

One thing i do to keep food bills down is to shop every day. I decide what's for tea and go and buy it. I was wasting huge amounts of food it was untrue but no longer!!
    Realise with family this may not be practical but it certainly helped me slash a £200 monthly bill to less than £100. There's just me though.

Good luck

T
    Originally posted by Thistlewhistle
    Hi T
    Thank you for popping in and reading my diary
    Yes thatís exactly what my initial instinct was to go shopping each day, but for some reason we didnt stick with it. Iím so glad itís working for you though! We fell back to weekly shop at the moment, but I might go back and try daily again. Just makes so much sense!
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 17th Dec 17, 3:51 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    So little update on my doggy sitting weekend, it has been a success
    This pup was a handful, I cant deny that, but he also was so sweet and not a single bad bone in his body, just needs more training. We took him on a few walks and he has been very good on the whole. But he left me exhausted now, especially as I had to do some extra cleaning afterwards haha.
    The extra money will be used on a family cinema trip next week
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 13-02-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 23rd Dec 17, 8:27 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Got my mark for the assignment I submitted - 76, very very pleased with that! Im on my Christmas break now but will get back into it with renewed motivation in January, when I have 2 more assignments due in.

This diary becoming less of the money budget and more of the open University motivation, but as long as its working, Im very pleased!

In terms of money savings, I had another dog come for a settling in session and the owner was happy, so she booked in for a week in January. This is the longest I had a dog round, so looking forward to it.

Im doing a pre Christmas clean today and family time, all the food shop is done. I actually have £20 left in my food account which will roll over to the next months budget. We are away with family from Boxing Day to New Years so not expecting to spend anymore
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 13-02-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 2nd Jan 18, 6:17 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    We are back and ready for the new year! Hope everyone had a lovely Christmas and New Years celebrations!

Spent the day cleaning, washing, done a food shop for this week up to Friday/ but can stretch to weekend if need be (should be going again on Friday though).

Tomorrow kids are back at school and Im back to my uni work. Im also picking up a dog Im looking after and they now need me for 2 weeks, so this will keep me busy and out of trouble
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 13-02-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 19th Jan 18, 6:25 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Hi long time no speak as been busy busy. Lots of uni work and also lookin* after the doggy had taken its toll

I have submitted one of the assignments and the next one is due 25th, which I am on track for. Im hopeful to get good marks, fingers crossed, but the computing assignment has been very very tough so far and I have one more to do before this module is over!

I have quite a few new enquiries regarding dog sitting so have registered as self employed. However I have next to zero clue about tax returns/ self assessment etc so trying to seek advice ASAP just in case I need to do a tax return by 31 of jan! I believe my self employed deadline is next January but not certain at the moment! Im not expecting to be anywhere near tax threshold at the moment so there shouldnt be any tax to pay in theory, but I want to do everything proper and by the book!

My food budgeting is going surprisingly well so far and Im sticking to my other budgets, so a very positive update overall... But did have a moment earlier this week where I thought my drier has gone, luckily it seems to have come back to life!

If anyone has any self employment advice please feel free to reply. Any advice is welcome

Back soon
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 13-02-2018 at 12:32 PM.
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 19th Jan 18, 7:06 PM
    • 939 Posts
    • 4,295 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    No, you don't have to submit a tax return by 31st Jan.

You ring hmrc to register as self employed, it's very easy.

Keep all your receipts from any work related expenses.
    Set up a filing system to keep everything organised.
    Do your tax return online, it only lets you fill in the bits you need to.

This is a good time to start as you'll only have a few months of this current tax year to sort out post April 2018, so it will be a bit simpler.

I'm sure others are far more knowledgeable than I
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 o/s £34,400
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2025
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £124.36/£2,500
    • kimplus8
    • By kimplus8 19th Jan 18, 7:29 PM
    • 662 Posts
    • 2,062 Thanks
    kimplus8
    Ok so in a quick nutshell we have a large mortgage of £221,528 and its not great as its on 34 years term. Also due to a change in circumstances I will be stay at home mum starting next month, so we will have to manage on husbands salary.

But I have been a budget queen while paying our debts and am very confident I can do this again and not only "manage on one salary" but save and overpay the mortgage as well! I will use this diary to run a pretty tight ship and record my goals and achievements!

At the moment I'm still playing around with the budget, but will be back once I finalise the figures.
    Originally posted by Newfrugallife
    you can totally do it!!!
    If you managed to get the debts gone then you can overpay with money thats freed up now you are not paying off debt.
    I wish u well and will be following with interest.
    Member of £1000 Emergency fund Club LIGHTBULB!!! BR and living with it! Dave Ramsey fan
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 24th Jan 18, 9:46 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Submitted my computing assignment, phew. It was very very hard and judging by lots of the messages in our Facebook uni group lots of people thought so! I just need to pass this module as I know I!!!8217;m not continuing with this subject, but still need a pass for the overall degree points! So I need at least 40% it will be a nervous few weeks wait.

My next assignments are due 15/02 - computing
    15/03 - computing (last one EVER!)
    22/03 - business

And I have another new business module starting in April, which Im looking forward to. I seem to have loads of motivation so far this year and scheduling proper study times each day, long may this continue.

Also I have received correspondence from HMRC regarding my self employment registration, so everything is on track there. Thank you for reassurance that I wont need to do self assessment until the next financial year phew

Overall I am very happy how everything is going at the moment, I do have mild anxiety still but definitely no depression and no where near the levels I had before. Budget wise its all on track and Im putting half the money earned from the dog sitting to family entertainment and half to savings. We went for a lovely family meal last weekend to celebrate mine and daughters birthday, all thanks to the dogs And I also gave a chunk of money to husband, as he is working so hard and all his wage goes on the mortgage/ food and bills (he also has a small personal allowance). And it felt good to treat him as well an feels like I contributed.

Speak soon!
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 13-02-2018 at 12:30 PM. Reason: It changes all my apostrophes to random ,,!!!??? Figures arghhh
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 26th Jan 18, 8:00 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Got my business assignment back with a score of 71, my best one yet. Very very happy Two more assignments to go now for this module.

I am dreading the computing score though, thats for sure.... I need st least 40, keeping everything crossed.
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 13-02-2018 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Everytime I do apostrophe it changes it to random figures! So annoying
    • Jelllibeanz
    • By Jelllibeanz 26th Jan 18, 7:51 PM
    • 151 Posts
    • 367 Thanks
    Jelllibeanz
    Sounds like it it is going well x
    Aiming for more consistency in 2018
    Mortgage '09 = £103k Feb '17 =£79.9k, Aug 17 = £69k
    #105 £460/£3520 credit card at 0%, #10 penny a day challenge £12/£667
    Wombling Our Way to Wealth 2018 £35.39, Jan's bring your lunch to work 5/20
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 9th Feb 18, 1:52 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Just had my computing assignment back, the one I was very worried about and I got 59 Very very happy with that!! I wanted at least a 40 so very pleased.

Not done much studying this week however, as been very busy with my dog sitting business. Ive had two dogs at the same time and its been a bit tricky. I dont know how some dog walkers manage with 10 or more! The dogs were getting on great but I obviously would still watch them all the time, as you never know and I do not want any incidents while in my care.... plus I have two cats, which do generally keep out of the way but one of them likes to come and see the dogs. So again I have to be so so careful.

I dont know if I will take more than one dog again, however obviously thats where the money lies and as Im now serious about my little venture its all a balancing act. Just for reference I do know a lot about dogs and have been around them all my life really. I obviously separate them for mealtimes, careful around toys, separate whenever Im out of the room, watch body language etc.... maybe its because I do know dogs Im much more guarded and careful, whereas others are more relaxed?!
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 9th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    I have also mentioned in my previous posts that I have now registered as self employed. I have been keeping all my income from the dog sitting and any expenses, to be fair there arent many at all, but I will claim part of the house hold bills (theres a set % you are allowed when working from home). I will claim any mileage when going to clients house, any treats, poo bags and I bought two stair gates Oh and extra cleaning products as one dog had some accidents on my carpet! All my insurance and advertising is taken care of as Im a member of a particular dog sitting website (they take a cut of my payments) and the owners provide all the food.

But you might be interested to know how much Ive earned so far:

October - 32.80
    November - 8.20
    December - 32.80
    January - 368.96
    February - 402 so far

And I have one booking for March worth 340 already, but Im never counting on it until its done and paid
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 09-02-2018 at 2:16 PM.
    • SuperSecretSquirrel
    • By SuperSecretSquirrel 10th Feb 18, 9:22 AM
    • 643 Posts
    • 2,838 Thanks
    SuperSecretSquirrel
    Wow! The doggy income has shot up for you the last couple of months - well done!

Mtg [2013 £64k|2014 £51k|2015 £38k|2016 £26k|2017 14k] Zero!
    MN [2013-£25k|2014-£2k|2015+£16k|2016+£34k|2017+£52k] +£51,713.71 (MFiT4:+60k)
    NW [2013 £126k|2014 £156k|2015 £190k|2016 £228k|2017 £269k] £270,817.92 (2020:300k)
    FI [2013 -1.2%|2014 2.8%|2015 6.9%|2016 13%|2017 18%] 29.1% (exc SP)
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 13th Feb 18, 12:25 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    This is what we have done with the extra income so far:
    I give a proportion of it to my hubby for his fun spending money
    We have used the extra money for family days out, restaurant and cinema
    I am saving chunk of if to build up a buffer fund and once it gets to a certain amount that I feel comfortable with we will start mortgage overpayments!

Im very excited as when I started this diary I wasnt 100% sure that we will be able to do that as we only just managed to pay the bills/ food on husbands salary with only a small amount to spare. But now things look much brighter Realistically I wont be making overpayments for few months yet as will need to see how the dog sitting business goes and the money is better in savings, but it certainly on the cards for the future.

I have also saved the 160 this month as its a free council tax month (with another 160 to be saved next month)

And I have submitted another computing assignment which is due 15/02
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

2,101Users online

Martin's Twitter