Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 28th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    • 41Posts
    • 86Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    My New Frugal Life
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:40 PM
    My New Frugal Life 28th Sep 17 at 4:40 PM
    Hi all, I used to post quite a bit under a different name on DFW forum but have lost my log in, also my situation changed dramatically so I'm taking this opportunity to create a fresh new log in and start my new frugal life

I will be back with a quick intro and my plans a little bit later on
Page 4
    • Miss Moneysaver
    • By Miss Moneysaver 1st Nov 17, 10:09 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Miss Moneysaver
    What are you studying?
    Interest rate 1.25%, offset mortgage Woolwich
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 2nd Nov 17, 9:51 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    What are you studying?
    Originally posted by Miss Moneysaver
    I really want to study business management and computing at open university and signed up back in August. Since then I’ve been backwards and forwards to the student loan company and they keep promising a decision.. first by end of September, then end of October, now definitely by 1st November. Well surprise surprise I called up today (expensive line as well!) and it’s now saying I will definitely know by Monday!!

At the moment uni are waiting but they can cut me off at any point and I wouldn’t blame them the money was due ages ago! And the most annoying thing is when I applied in August I asked if it will go through in time and was assured that it will be

So it’s a bit up in the air still. I already done 2 assignments- hopefully it’s not all for nothing!
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 2nd Nov 17, 4:35 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    I kept hearing about the surveys people do and signed up to a few, let’s see how I get on
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 2nd Nov 17, 5:08 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Food - £166.53 (-£27.88/ -£55.59)
    Family entertainment- £82.80
    Everything else - £20 (-£20 present, -£10 haircut)
    Emergency- £20

Canít stick to the food budget arghhh!

Food shop - DONE
    Front garden - DONE
    Dining room/ play room - DONE
    Clothes wash -DONE
    Back garden, cut grass - DONE
    Drop nephew present after school -DONE
    Open uni
    Book
    Originally posted by Newfrugallife
    Son and husband went to football last night, had a meal out/snacks £25.97

Food - £166.53 (-£27.88/ -£55.59)
    Family entertainment- £56.83 (-£25.97)
    Everything else - £20 (-£20 present, -£10 haircut)
    Emergency- £20
    • Miss Moneysaver
    • By Miss Moneysaver 2nd Nov 17, 9:57 PM
    • 205 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    Miss Moneysaver
    Seems odd that the SLC are taking that long to give you an answer. Have you had loans from them before?
    Interest rate 1.25%, offset mortgage Woolwich
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 15th Nov 17, 8:32 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Not been on here for awhile was feeling a bit down and had to work through some things!

But! Some major good news I have been accepted for the student finance and now officially on my course! I am currently working on my third assignment and then moving straight onto fourth (they are due in 23 and 30th of November). It’s hard I’m not going to lie.... and I had my second assignment back with a score of 55 which is a pass 3 (only just the cut off is 55-69, pass 4 is 40-54; and the minimum to pass is 40 marks), but not amazing so I need to work harder....
    One of my biggest problems is motivation, sometimes I go through a low periods and feel like there’s no point etc and then give up. I really really need to stay on top of this as this course is something I really want/need for my personal development and future career, when I go back to work. To try and motivate myself I have my mums graduation photo as my screen savers and I’m breaking the course down to the assignments, for example I need to complete 2 more this side of Christmas. That sort of thing...

In terms of my budgets, I had to increase my food budget as really was not managing, it is now 70 a week and I only go shopping’s once a week, with a small top up for bread permitted midweek!

I am also doing the surveys, but not had a pay out so far and I’m on a look out for a little part time job.
    • Shammi
    • By Shammi 15th Nov 17, 4:27 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    Shammi
    Hey Just wanted to say Good Luck! I've never managed to stick to a budget. So your definitely not the only one.
    stay motivated and keep trying x
    • Scrimps
    • By Scrimps 16th Nov 17, 6:49 PM
    • 186 Posts
    • 815 Thanks
    Scrimps
    Good luck with the course! I hope you start to enjoy it more., It's always harder at the begining.
    At least if you go shopping just once a week that'll give you some time back, don't worry about sticking to it right at the begining too much as it's all a learning curve and best to try a few approaches.

Something that seems to have worked for us so far:
    big month shop for coffee, tea, cleaning,uht milk, toilet paper, flour , sugar etc. I.e. non perishables and things that will last
    Then a weekly food meal planned shop.
    Then one mid week shop in the evening for bread and milk etc. I think I've found our local do lots of bread and milk yellow stickers on a Wednesday so can usually fill the freezer then. I'm trying to figure out when they do the minced beef discounts now

I don't have fussy kids to cater for so it may not work for you but it might!
    MFW: May 17: £143,000 o/s. Oct 17: £135,090 o/s. End Nov:£133,588
    OP Target £12k by end May 18. As @ end Nov 17: £6,830
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 18th Nov 17, 8:51 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    I’m so happy, I think I have cracked it, it was a bit of trial and error and stress but my food budget seem to be settling at between 60-70 a week. And when doing my budget for the month if I put 350 a month (so working on the basis of 5 weeks), we should have a buffer building up in there..... I know it’s more than what I originally planned, but my previous estimation was unrealistic.
    So this is the amount I will now take out of the budget and this covers everything - food including 2 meat free meals a week, packed lunches, cleaning products, cat food and litter, beauty products such as shampoo, some medicines etc etc...
    As it stands I have £77.55 left in my food shop account and I have one more weekly shop to do before pay day.
    In my family entertainment pot I have -£6.17, we went for a family dinner to Nando’s which was a bit over £60.
    My everything else pot I had £10, but now counting it as £3.83 to balance out the entertainment short fall
    Emergency still have £20
    I have found out that I don’t actually use that much petrol as hardly drive during the week (still need the car though as it’s the only family car we have). So I originally budgeted £40 a month and I spent only £10 so far this month! But we topped up £20 the month before. I will still budget the £40 as the excess can go towards other car costs.

In terms of me making a few ££ here and there, I had another doggy to walk which earned me £10 (they said will be booking me again soon).
    My surveys - one poll I have £11sh need £40 to cash out. PA surveys I have £18 ish and will cash out at £20 so nearly there... YouGov doesn’t seem that good, I have 500 points so far and need a ridiculous 5000 to cash out £50!

I have also done a free trial of matched betting, followed all the instructions but really did not like it!
    It took me 2 hours to try and figure out this one bet, also I did not realise that you have to deposit quite large amounts to cover the lay bets (you can withdraw them straight after the bet clears but still!). In the end I deposited £55 and took out £60 so I did make £5 and I haven’t lost the money BUT it so extremely complicated to me, and the odds change so quickly (that’s why I only made 5 was supposed to be 13, but by the time I submitted my bet the odds changed slightly).
    I have decided it not for me and I still have one more free bet but too scared to do it!
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 18th Nov 17, 9:13 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    I have also sorted a budget for Christmas, I buy presents for niece & nephew £20 each, then some chocs for that side of the family (we don’t buy for adults) £5, and my nieces birthday near Christmas £20.
    My mum and his dad £20 each. Our 2 kids £50 each, and me and hubby £20 each. Unfortunately the niece/nephew is a fixed amount which would cause lots of bother if challenged (don’t ask difficult family relations), but I have massively cut our own kids budgets. So I’m getting total of £245, plus say extra box of choc for the teacher or what not, let’s make the total present budget at £250.

I will try to be under, and I really like boots 3 for 2, so potentially can get mine or husbands present “free”. I have the money already saved in the Christmas/ birthday/ everything else pot but will need to replenish this for next year. Normally allocate £50 a month, but this month have already used £30 for nephews present and haircut. But I’m not stressing about it yet, I’m confident that some months I will use less and will be able to add and replenish this pot. I will run the minus total alongside this category so I can see what’s coming in and what’s coming out each month.
    I will also be going over the Christmas budget, I was initially hoping to be £250 all in but again, same as my food budget, it seems to be unrealistic...
    So far my Christmas spending is -£232.20, all the kids presents are now done.. Still need to get:
    My mum £20
    Dad £20
    Niece £20 and £20 for birthday
    Nephew £20

So that’s another £100, the chocs and extras I will try and squeeze out of the food account. I do have a Christmas/ birthday buffer fund from when I was working so this year is covered. But I am very conscious that I will need to rebuild it for next year to make our future budgets sustainable. Therefore if I spend say £350 in total, I will need to put away just under £30 each month from January to replenish the fund. And then there’s birthdays..... but I will get there! And I am on the look out for a part time job so I’m not stressing just writing all of this down to keep me on straight and narrow.
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 22nd Nov 17, 7:50 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    In terms of me making a few ££ here and there, I had another doggy to walk which earned me £10 (they said will be booking me again soon).
    My surveys - one poll I have £11sh need £40 to cash out. PA surveys I have £18 ish and will cash out at £20 so nearly there... YouGov doesnít seem that good, I have 500 points so far and need a ridiculous 5000 to cash out £50!

I have also done a free trial of matched betting, followed all the instructions but really did not like it!
    It took me 2 hours to try and figure out this one bet, also I did not realise that you have to deposit quite large amounts to cover the lay bets (you can withdraw them straight after the bet clears but still!). In the end I deposited £55 and took out £60 so I did make £5 and I havenít lost the money BUT it so extremely complicated to me, and the odds change so quickly (thatís why I only made 5 was supposed to be 13, but by the time I submitted my bet the odds changed slightly).
    I have decided it not for me and I still have one more free bet but too scared to do it!
    A little update, I got another £8 from the match betting, Iím so stupid that didnít realise I had to wait for the initial bet to come in as well. So all in all I had to deposit £55 and I took out £68 so did make the promised £13! I still have one free bet left from the initial sign up but Iíve not yet used it as Iím still not sure itís for me.... but wanted to mention it in case it helps anyone else out there!
    The doggy website took £1.80 so I received £8.20 in total for that walk, theyíve booked again with me for two days dog sitting so that should be another £32.
    One poll I now have £12.60 - need £40 to withdraw
    PA I have £19.81 -need £20 to withdraw so nearly there!
    YouGov I have 700 points - need a massive 5,000 to withdraw £50, each survey is 50 points so ages away still...
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 22nd Nov 17, 11:37 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Just cashed out my first £20 from PA surveys! I will be adding it to my next months budget.
    The budget resets next Tuesday and so far so good. I’m looking forward to see how much we will have left, don’t want to jinx it but if all goes to budget should have about £70 left over. At the moment all the surplus will be saved but as I get more confident I will start to over pay the mortgage... so fingers crossed!
    Last edited by Newfrugallife; 22-11-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 24th Nov 17, 4:34 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Some great news! We finally managed to bring down our phone/internet/tv package. I’ve been fighting this battle for awhile but my husband really didn’t want to get rid of sports etc.. and there is a location issue that we can only have certain internet, as other providers can’t reach us. But I’ve been nagging and nagging and after a few back and forth phone calls they gave in and reduced it by nearly half! We get to keep our internet and phone and the sports package but getting rid of one box. The new price is £54 a month (still too much if you ask me but much better than £90 we been paying!)

My next task is to try and switch energy provider....

In other news, I thought our car insurance already been paid but it comes out on Monday so the total left over at the end of the month is £20.... Still we are not overdrawn and next month it will be better with the reduced bill and I’m going to do better with the shopping budget (so she keeps saying.....)

I’m very busy since giving up work and my days fly so quickly with the studying, housework, childcare and play dates etc... Still not missing/ not regretting giving up work and feel that it’s been a good decision for us! Would love a bit of extra cash of course but things are not too bad at the moment
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 29th Nov 17, 7:30 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    My doggy that I was supposed to sit today has cancelled
    Shame I was so looking forward to it! Also need to adjust my budget as already was working on the basis of extra money! Oh well...

My PA surveys have gone really quiet after I made the withdrawal.. I have emailed them to see what’s happening, as heard in this forum that they can black list you for no reason.

My OP surveys is building slowly but surely £15.75 - I need £40 to withdraw.
    YouGov 800 points - need to reach 5000 to take out £50.

Yesterday I have cleaned the whole house and put up our Christmas trees! We have 2, one in the living room with silver and blue and one in the dinning room with red and gold! Looks very nice so far and the cats have been behaving ish .. I know it’s a tiny bit early but was so happy and in a Christmassy mood so decided to go for it! It took hours as had to dust and hoover them first! We didn’t have them out last Christmas as had a tiny real one... but back to fake this year.

I have finished Christmas present shopping, it’s coming around £300. Just waiting for last few bits to be delivered and then will pay off the credit card out of the Christmas and birthday pot I’ve built up while still working. The task will be to replenish this for next year!

Waiting to hear back from my third uni assignment (aiming for more than 55 mark this time!). And just about ready to submit my 4th.
    • angela110660
    • By angela110660 29th Nov 17, 7:41 AM
    • 751 Posts
    • 1,865 Thanks
    angela110660
    Where is Frugal Queen.
    Just found your dairy and wanted to wish you luck with your new journey. I was also a SAHM when I started here in 2010 and dh was not in a great wage, I'm still pretty part time though to be honest it gives you plenty of time to make savings you otherwise might struggle with.

In the past I've been more frugal to try and create a surplus to op the mortgage with - making gloop to wash clothes with for example, baking bread, making everything from scratch food wise, surveys, bank switching. Frugal blogs are a great resource, some can be a bit preachy but there are often good tips. A few suggestions are:

Frugal queen

Jack monroe

Mortgage free in three (not currently posting , but a really great blog and worth reading back through.)

Mr money mustache

Anyway, I hope I haven't stated the obvious as if you have cleared debts then you probably knoŵ all of this
    Originally posted by newgirly
    I read all these intermittently and MFIT is back blogging again recently -yay! But has anyone else been struggling to find Frugal Queen in the last week or so like me? Really miss her updates.
    Free films - 2009: saw 7 films. 2010 saw 7 films. 2011 saw 7 films. 2012 saw 5 films;2013:Lincoln; Les Miserables; Cloud Atlas; The Big Wedding; Summer in February;Philomena;Saving Mr Banks;2014:Jersey Boys;2015estament of Youth;
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 9th Dec 17, 10:13 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Little update

I have received my assignment and got 79! Very happy with that. Submitted my next one and I have one more next week... but I havenít started on it yet, oh dear, so a bit behind now and really need to get myself motivated!

The one due next week is the last one before Christmas so I will have a little break, Iíve not even looked at the work yet though, so need to get a move on.

Iíve been quite ill for the past few weeks, still functioning but did sleep a lot and my mood has been low. I have something called neuralgia and the only way I can describe it is sharp shooting pains in one side of my head/ear. On and off pains literally just go straight through you as so painful and sharp, and the medication doesnít really help, itís weird but the only thing that helps is a hot water bottle! It is much better now though and I believe Iím coming to the end of it now.

In terms of food budgets, I have been a lot better at sticking to it. Went yesterday and spent £56 which is brilliant! But other weeks can be a bit higher so Iím still allowing up to £70 a week all in, but it finally looks more under control now.

With the surveys my PA ones have completely dried up! I have emailed them but no reply, I have heard they can sometimes black list you and maybe I have messed up a survey or something like that. Since Iíve not had a survey for weeks now I have withdrawn the balance from it (there is a small charg3 if under £20). I had just over £5.
    OP surveys, Iím up to 17.25 - need £40 to take out
    YouGov I have 1000 - need 5000 to take out £50

On my dog walking venture. Had a last minute booking for Thursday/Friday. A lovely old boy staffie, really nice boy but because of his old age he seemed a bit stressed and sad and not really eaten much at mine. Was worried about him and spoke to the owners, they tried to speak to him on the phone but said thatís how he gets, poor old thing. I had him from 10am Thursday to just after 8pm Friday, they actually wanted to leave him one more night but because of his eating I wasnít comfortable, maybe Iím too soft as they werenít too worried. Thatís £30 extra coming my way.

Have another booking for next weekend, but not looking forward to that one, when they came for a meeting before booking the dog was just crazy and tried to rip/ eat my cushions etc... I think this one will be exhausting
    Iím hoping he will behave for me as I had similar before, very high energy overexcited doggy when the owners are there and calm right down when Iím by myself. I also do the obidience training as soon as the owner leaves and I think that makes the dogs realise that I have different expectations of them. But we will see, I might eat my words and he could destroy my lounge. This would be £20.

There is another potential booking for January, and Iíve met the dog/owner, they are so lovely. But I have a feeling they will cancel so not counting that one yet.

I really need to go now and clean/ tidy/ study! Will be back with further updates soon.
    • Newfrugallife
    • By Newfrugallife 11th Dec 17, 11:51 AM
    • 41 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    Newfrugallife
    Spent all weekend studying and just submitted the assignment! So no more until the next 2 are due 18th & 25th of January. I have to continue study meanwhile, but at least the pressure of assignment is off, I have “cheated” a little bit as only done the bits needed for this assignment, so will also need to go back and through the material I skip read. But the pressure is off..

Also I’m not 100% sure that computing is for me oh dear..... even though my assignment marks are better for the computing side of my study, I feel more comfortable with the business studies side. Will need to decide what to do as might need to change paths. That’s the good thing about the open University that I could pick and choose different modules if I need to. The important thing is not to lose heart and give up!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,008Posts Today

6,333Users online

Martin's Twitter