Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 28th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    • 8,629Posts
    • 20,867Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    How did you meet your partner?
    • 28th Sep 17, 3:33 PM
    How did you meet your partner? 28th Sep 17 at 3:33 PM

Fun thread alert - don't shoot us!

We saw this BBC story in MSE Towers and thought if anyone must have some good "how I met my partner" stories it must be our Marriages board community

Related on MoneySavingExpert.com:

52 Cheap Wedding Tips

I'll kick the stories off..

I met my husband via a mutual friend. She (Italian and a true matchmaker) told each of us we were in love with the other and set us up on a date. We only found out a few weeks later. That was 26 years ago
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 3
    • Deep In Debt
    • By Deep In Debt 1st Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 7,994 Posts
    • 12,252 Thanks
    Deep In Debt
    Met my ex oh at work. We were together 19 years and split a few years ago. We remain good friends even though he lives in another part of the country, we still keep in touch.
    • aquestionoftime
    • By aquestionoftime 1st Oct 17, 6:54 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    aquestionoftime
    At work.

I was with someone else when I started the job so we were friends for a year first. There was always something more between us but it took me ages to really see it. Split up with my then boyfriend and we got together the next day. Been together nearly 10 years now.

Last edited by aquestionoftime; 01-10-2017 at 10:39 PM.
    Debt 1 £120 | Debt 2 £207 | Debt 3 £243 | Debt 4 £366 | Debt 5 £377 | Debt 6 £434 | Debt 7 £575 | Debt 8 £1444 | Debt 9 £2606

Debt Free Date December 2020
    • TARDIS
    • By TARDIS 1st Oct 17, 9:07 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    TARDIS
    Met doing voluntary work.
    Still together 22 years later!
    • westy23
    • By westy23 1st Oct 17, 9:43 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 85 Thanks
    westy23
    Ballroom dancing lessons
    Wife had gone for lessons with her mum.
    And I staggered in half drunk with a couple of mates at about 10pm.
    19 years old and wearing a mini skirt what’s not to like.
    42 years later got 2 sons and 3 grandchildren.
    I like to tell people I ONLY ASKED HER TO DANCE
    • jimbo747
    • By jimbo747 1st Oct 17, 10:30 PM
    • 240 Posts
    • 643 Thanks
    jimbo747
    At a club called 'Destiny' in Derby (closed down now)
    • cozicup
    • By cozicup 1st Oct 17, 10:51 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    cozicup
    On tinder.
    I sent him "howdy how do you like your pizza toppings" and he replied... we then started to have a bit of banter with each other and I was trying to get him to go to an alternative club night. We were talking for a month... In that month I felt that I had a best friend and someone who always made my depression go away. We agreed to meet after this month of talking (I made sure he was real). We met up in pret a manger and spoke a little then I pretty much dragged him around on my errands... he was newish to the area...was only in Bristol as of May 2016 and we met up in june/July 2016. When he left... I felt something in me that said "he's the one" then I started to freak out mentally because i felt thatI wasn't ready after 2 bad relationships (one cheated on me numerous of times and his parents set him up with my best friend at the time, walked in on them AT IT...that fling stopped then after a few months he dumped me to get with someone else... then a few weeks later I found out she was pregnant... my other ex used me for money, wanted me to bare his child but raise it on my own pretty much as his previous relationship where he had a child with failed and was denied access from seeing them, he was always getting into fights with his mum and sister. and when we broke up he threatened to lock me up in his bed sit which was an hour away from my home.
    He's also get really angry if I missed my train to see him but he couldn't take a train to see me and he didn't have a job. I say I never loved this guy as much as the stuff we did together says differently...i think he was used as a rebound to fill the hole i was missing.
    So naturally, I went on a down hill self destructive spiral that i was still getting over at this point) I felt that because I couldn't love myself, I cpuldnt love anyone. But that little voice kept saying "it's okay , he's the one, just take this chance" . We then arranged to see each other each day of that week and a little more. There was one time i left my bag open with my purse hanging out of the edge of it on the grass and left it by him to pop to the loo , we had only met each other twice and when i came back it was all still there... untouched. The date that he arranged as a first date ended up being our first date as a couple as he asked me out the day before this date. And we've never been apart since.

We actually got engaged on the 1st of September but we only just got the ring on the 29th.
    Newly Engaged! 1/09/2017
    • HappyLassie13
    • By HappyLassie13 5th Oct 17, 10:01 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    HappyLassie13
    We met through mutual friends. Best thing i ever did was plucking up the courage to talk to him.
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 5th Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 9,791 Posts
    • 105,378 Thanks
    LameWolf
    Dungeons & Dragons table top gaming.
    I'd just joined Mensa and found it advertised in the magazine, as being held at the LocSec's house (Local Secretary) so I joined the group. Mr LW was already part of the group.
    First thing he did was fireball me.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Robisere
    • By Robisere 5th Oct 17, 4:41 PM
    • 1,787 Posts
    • 2,570 Thanks
    Robisere
    Lonely Hearts column, (then) local Free paper, July 1988, both early 40's, both suffered bad first relationships. Started talking outside a country pub in beautiful sunshine at first date, never stopped since! Married August '89, still together, still happy. Two kids (hers, call me dad, love 'em to bits, get loved right back.) Four grandbrats (ditto, except they call me granddad)

It's been a life of more ups than downs. It's life.
    There may be more than one way to skin a cat.
    But the result is always inedible.

• 74jax
    • By 74jax 5th Oct 17, 7:55 PM
    • 4,496 Posts
    • 6,068 Thanks
    74jax
    Salsa..........
    Forty and fabulous, well that's what my cards say....
    • rae123
    • By rae123 6th Oct 17, 9:50 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    rae123
    The uni library in freshers week!
    • skimper
    • By skimper 6th Oct 17, 1:44 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    skimper
    We met on Plenty of Fish OLD. We had very sporadic messages for a few weeks. Once we met up we saw each other 5 nights out of 7, then he moved in after 4 months. That was three years ago and we're happier than ever.
    Originally posted by StaffieTerrier
    I met my Fiance on POF, spoke for a week or 2, met up and 4 months later living together. 3.5 years later we have our own house & get married in 5 months.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

160Posts Today

1,665Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin