Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mon_noir
    • By mon_noir 28th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    • 4Posts
    • 2Thanks
    mon_noir
    HP Repair sent back wrong computer
    • 28th Sep 17, 8:54 AM
    HP Repair sent back wrong computer 28th Sep 17 at 8:54 AM
    I sent off a laptop to HP for repair, out of warranty, at a cost of £230. The laptop, acknowledged by HP, was bought in France and had a French keyboard. They did a good job of the repair except the laptop came back with an English keyboard and therefore is totally useless to us.
    HP's response has been: there is nothing they can do about; buy a skin to cover the keyboard; send the laptop to France (at my expense) to have the keyboard replaced; have a ink cartridge as compensation; we wont speak to you anymore because the case is closed.
    So we are left £230 out of pocket with a useless laptop. Where next please?
Page 1
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 28th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    Did they send the same laptop back or just give you a refurbished replacement?

What exactly did you agree for them to do for your £230?
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 28th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 668 Posts
    • 586 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:41 AM
    Ne parlez-vous pas anglais alors?
    A wise man gets more use from his enemies than a fool from his friends.
    Baltasar Gracian
    • mon_noir
    • By mon_noir 28th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mon_noir
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:06 AM
    the repair was because the laptop wouldn't boot up, no power so the repair price was based on that. the casing is the original with the original serial number so i guess they needed to replace the keyboard to fix the problem
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 28th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 10,145 Posts
    • 7,094 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:21 AM
    Send them a letter before action (LBA) outlining your issues and and demand they replace the keyboard to one that is more usable (I wouldn't have said it was totally useless).

What model of laptop is it?
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 28th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 16,966 Posts
    • 27,573 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:29 AM
    Keep pushing them. Remind them they are a multinational company. Complain on twitter. Get all in their faces!

LG did this to me. I sent off a phone that that was a 32GB model for repair and they sent me back the British 16GB model. It took about 5 weeks but I eventually got my European model back.
    • mon_noir
    • By mon_noir 28th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mon_noir
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 11:31 AM
    Thanks for the advice, I'll do that. you're right it isn't completely useless however !, à ç ô takes twice as long on an english keyboard!
    • mon_noir
    • By mon_noir 12th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    mon_noir
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    • 12th Oct 17, 1:31 PM
    Success! Thanks to suggestion by neilmcl, I sent off a letter to HP HQ in Hammersmith, just addressed to 'customer service' outlining the problem and saying a LBA would follow unless I had a reply in 30 days... Today, 10 days later a HP rep called to say they had looked into the case, there was no way that they could rectify the keyboard issue but instead they would refund the total cost of the repair.
    Better than expected result, so thanks again for the sensible suggestion. BB
    • lammy82
    • By lammy82 13th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 225 Posts
    • 214 Thanks
    lammy82
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    • 13th Oct 17, 10:49 AM
    Now just change your keyboard settings to French and you can use it as if it were a French keyboard (you can touch-type, right? )
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 13th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 3,251 Posts
    • 4,735 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Success! Thanks to suggestion by neilmcl, I sent off a letter to HP HQ in Hammersmith, just addressed to 'customer service' outlining the problem and saying a LBA would follow unless I had a reply in 30 days... Today, 10 days later a HP rep called to say they had looked into the case, there was no way that they could rectify the keyboard issue but instead they would refund the total cost of the repair.
    Better than expected result, so thanks again for the sensible suggestion. BB
    Originally posted by mon_noir
    So in your original post you said the keyboard was useless, but now they have refunded and you still have the same keyboard everything's good?

I can't get my head around why that is a 'better then expected' result as I would have thought them changing the keyboard would have been the result you was after?
    • ringo_24601
    • By ringo_24601 13th Oct 17, 11:56 AM
    • 16,966 Posts
    • 27,573 Thanks
    ringo_24601
    Or... just put some french keyboard stickers over the current keyboard and change the OS language settings!!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Keyboard-Stickers-transparent-background-alternative/dp/B01BW91MA4/

Getting the repair refunded is a great result. Now you can turn your keyboard froggy
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

208Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin