Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 27th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 14,986Posts
    • 23,008Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Most unexpected money saving tip!
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    Most unexpected money saving tip! 27th Sep 17 at 10:20 PM
    Today I was chatting to some of my work colleagues and we were chatting about money saving and bargains as you do... One of my co-workers was amazed that because I did a particular online course that I only paid about £15 I had qualified for an NUS card and now get student discounts for a year...

Whilst not earth shattering then he was blown away by this (I'm slowly converting everyone to MSE hahaha!) - but I made me wonder what weird, unexpected and quirky money saving tips have you come across - or even what was SO obvious to you but blew someones head when you educated them

I'd love to hear if people have quirky tips out there!
    DFW Nerd #025
Page 2
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 11th Oct 17, 2:07 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    Comms69
    Is this just EE mobile, or does it apply to Broadband too?
    Originally posted by Katgrit
    Im not sure tbh, I only got the mobile on there - check out health service discounts - some really great savings
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 11th Oct 17, 2:27 PM
    • 8,614 Posts
    • 20,855 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Go have a browse around the world food section at the supermarket! Some brands are way cheaper than the ones you normally recognise and are just as tasty. Tinned tomatoes, noodles, sauces etc
    Originally posted by Fireflyaway
    Absolutely!

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/deals/deals-hunter/2017/05/16/supermarket-world-foods-aisle-cheaper-same-product-different-section/

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 17, 2:32 PM
    • 8,005 Posts
    • 41,366 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    We were discussing money saving tips at work the other day, and a colleague said "a bottle of champagne weighs the same as a melon."

Took me a moment to realise what she was on about.
    Originally posted by bearcat16
    Might be sensible to point out to her that shoplifting is shoplifting regardless if it's a melon or a bottle of champagne, then!

Great tip about splitting the shopping - another one here it had simply never occurred to!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£544.67 (17/10/17)
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 11th Oct 17, 2:35 PM
    • 8,005 Posts
    • 41,366 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    NHS staff can sign up to NHS discounts, NHS Staff Benefits and all armed forces, NHS & Emergency Services can sign up to the Blue Light Card - lot's of lovely discounts!

Also just discovered the Yolt App - all your banking, spending habits in one place. Been using it for a few weeks now and am raving about it to anyone who will listen lol!

HTH

L Xx
    Originally posted by MrsLWW
    Those serving in the Forces have a discount scheme open to them as well - check out DiN for details.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • MrsTinks
    • By MrsTinks 16th Oct 17, 4:30 PM
    • 14,986 Posts
    • 23,008 Thanks
    MrsTinks
    Someone suggested a list for presents and who gave them so you can regift safely that seems quite a good idea to me!
    I’m a fan of regifting (although usually any unwanted presents are donated to school fairs )
    DFW Nerd #025
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 17th Oct 17, 11:27 AM
    • 8,005 Posts
    • 41,366 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    For a keen reader without pretensions a box of charity shop paperbacks can be a very well received present.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    • Happierdays
    • By Happierdays 17th Oct 17, 11:43 AM
    • 122 Posts
    • 289 Thanks
    Happierdays
    I would LOVE that as a gift! Love books! (It would replace all the ones I got rid of after reading marI kondo tho! ) seriously, a good idea though for any bookworm
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,815Posts Today

7,903Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin