Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 27th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    • 1,689Posts
    • 822Thanks
    StuieUK34
    0 WOW
    Online check-in fail - ESTA (US travel)
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:52 PM
    0 WOW
    Online check-in fail - ESTA (US travel) 27th Sep 17 at 8:52 PM
    Hey guys,

Any of you ever tried to check-in online for your flight to the US, and computer says NO ??
    Says you need to collect boarding pass from normal check-in desk.....

I am flying with Thomas Cook, my check-in was fine, but my dads says to check-in at the airport.
    Thomas Cook say its random selection on the ESTA travel.....
Page 1
    • marsman802
    • By marsman802 27th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 546 Posts
    • 240 Thanks
    marsman802
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:21 PM
    Yes I've had this on US flights before. Extra security screening
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 27th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    coolio
    so nothing for my dad to worry about then !
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 27th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 31,739 Posts
    • 37,453 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    No , just expect him being delayed for half an hour or so for checks . You may get straight through
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I'm a volunteer to help them run smoothly and I can move and merge posts there. However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 27th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 24,081 Posts
    • 11,368 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:47 PM
    Do you remember when he applied for the ESTA whether he put on an address for his first night in the USA?
    If not he will be asked for this at check in - at least that's what happened to us last time with TC.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • loveandlight
    • By loveandlight 27th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 1,176 Posts
    • 932 Thanks
    loveandlight
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:35 PM
    Happens to us all the time. Be prepared for your dad to be questioned once he gets to the US as well. Usually you get taken into an interview room and then you have to wait ages before you get interviewed and then released.
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 27th Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:45 PM
    great !
    I did the esta for him, and did the same address for where we are staying.... doing a road trip !
    best I remind him of the plan !!
    • StuieUK34
    • By StuieUK34 4th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    • 1,689 Posts
    • 822 Thanks
    StuieUK34
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:52 AM
    yes...
    confirmed......
    sat in homeland sec waiting area with lots of peeps who don't speak English, and few peeps who were on our plane, but not UK nationals.....

2 1/2 hours after waiting 1 hour to get through immigration, security guy asks where were going , to which we say a Road trip, and he says cool, and off we go...
    FFS, that BS delay meant we couldn't do part of the trip we wanted to do in San Fran, ended up sat in traffic for hours to get out of the city, etc,.....

oh well..
    • codger
    • By codger 4th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 1,442 Posts
    • 2,222 Thanks
    codger
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    yes...
    confirmed......
    sat in homeland sec waiting area with lots of peeps who don't speak English, and few peeps who were on our plane, but not UK nationals.....
    2 1/2 hours after waiting 1 hour to get through immigration, security guy asks where were going , to which we say a Road trip, and he says cool, and off we go...
    FFS, that BS delay meant we couldn't do part of the trip we wanted to do in San Fran, ended up sat in traffic for hours to get out of the city, etc,.....
    oh well..
    Originally posted by StuieUK34
    Ahhh, America. "Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free" and we will charge 'em a lot to actually breathe even a little of that American air then corral 'em in a pen, make 'em wait longer than anyone ever did at Ellis Island, view them all with disdain / suspicion / contempt (most likely, all three), arrest some of 'em or at the very least, send 'em back where they came from, and finally, though very reluctantly, allow those that are left to enter the Land of the Free and the home of The Raving.

We visited the US regularly. But not now.

If, however, anyone is still determined to go spend their money there, could I point out that FastTrak access can still be arranged through all US airports?

All that's necessary on arrival is to produce a business card demonstrating that one is by occupation a builder whose specialty is the construction of very large walls.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

449Posts Today

4,725Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @WhiskyOneIce: @MartinSLewis Changed my fuel from Britush Gas to Sainsburies yesterday via MSE site and saved £230 odd PA...Thanks ????????

• RT @rbp77: @MartinSLewis Interesting that Facebook facial recognition tech can't be put to use in recognising misuse of people's image in i?

• And yesterday Facebook put a quote out saying all the SCAM adverts with me in had been dealt with. Balderdash!? https://t.co/OrvsWKIJfJ

• Follow Martin