Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 27th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 247Posts
    • 33Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    Smartphone for £40?????
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    Smartphone for £40????? 27th Sep 17 at 7:27 PM
    My nephew wants a phone for his birthday. I have never owned a smartphone myself so I am unsure what I am looking for. He wants it, not to make calls or texts, he wants one so he can watch youtube videos and plays games in registration time during school. He says all the other kids have phones and he just spins around on the his chair, bored. I can only afford £40. Is there a quality smartphone out there at this price?
Page 1
    • cookie365
    • By cookie365 27th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 1,739 Posts
    • 1,121 Thanks
    cookie365
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:45 PM
    No.

For about double that you can get an end of line Moto E off one of those Amazon marketplace sellers that shift unsold stock.

And there seem to be some basic Doogee phones for about £70 if you don't mind a brand you've never heard of. I've never used one but they're generally thought of as just fine for the price.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 27th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    Witless
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:06 PM
    Yes

https://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/pay-as-you-go/mobile-phones/quick-view/vodafone-smart-prime-6-payg?isPlanSelected=

OK, a bit dated & the model back from what I use but mine is capable of more than I am IYSWIM.
    • Witless
    • By Witless 27th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 561 Posts
    • 2,193 Thanks
    Witless
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:08 PM
    Sorry, apparently no longer available (but check instore rather than online)
    • Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • By Eric_the_half_a_bee 27th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 717 Posts
    • 2,349 Thanks
    Eric_the_half_a_bee
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    £50 worth a look?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B074M71GZK/ref=psdc_356496011_t2_B073LDJK5J
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 27th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 1,960 Posts
    • 1,271 Thanks
    Robin9
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:44 PM
    What do his parents say ?
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • macman
    • By macman 27th Sep 17, 11:36 PM
    • 41,423 Posts
    • 17,045 Thanks
    macman
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:36 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:36 PM
    Who is going to pay for the SIM, and will it be contract or PAYG? That £40 is going to be a fraction of the cost of the data bill if he uses it heavily, as teenagers inevitably do. The contract or PAYG rate is therefore far more important than the one-off phone cost. Spend £70 and you will get a vastly better Android handset.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 28th Sep 17, 2:26 AM
    • 12,262 Posts
    • 11,545 Thanks
    jenniewb
    • 28th Sep 17, 2:26 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 2:26 AM
    Who is going to pay for the SIM, and will it be contract or PAYG? That £40 is going to be a fraction of the cost of the data bill if he uses it heavily, as teenagers inevitably do. The contract or PAYG rate is therefore far more important than the one-off phone cost. Spend £70 and you will get a vastly better Android handset.
    Originally posted by macman

Exactly what I was going to say! Data doesn't come free, and even to connect to wifi (assuming it is available which it may not be and will be specific to the building or area you are in- not all wifi is safe to use) it will still need the handset be signed up somewhere to just do the basics.

If he has the money to pay for this- and to pay for any errors where accidentally the connection was left on and hooked up to a youtube video or similar and all his data runs out or goes over his allowance- assuming again that limits are set or the sim is a pay as you go sim, then fair enough. But if he is struggling to afford a phone himself, or at least offer to go halves with someone, it is likely he isn't going to be able to keep up the data costs.

I wasn't sure if it was allowed in every school either- I know a few young people and they are banned from having their phones on as soon as they get onto school grounds. Any phones found on by school staff are confiscated and kept until the end of the day, week and then month (if they repeatedly do this the phone is kept for longer and longer). Parents are made aware of this too so don't allow mobiles, not saying it doesn't happen but this is one of the rules and going against it, it just gives a mixed message out. As I say, I know of a few different schools that work like this. It doesn't stop kids trying to get hold of a mobile to play around with but they know the rules and they know that they risk losing the handset for some time if they don't listen.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 28th Sep 17, 7:04 AM
    • 7,718 Posts
    • 5,577 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 28th Sep 17, 7:04 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 7:04 AM
    Don't you remember using the "all the other kids have them" line yourself?`
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 28th Sep 17, 9:51 AM
    • 9,955 Posts
    • 4,102 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Don't you remember using the "all the other kids have them" line yourself?`
    Originally posted by pmduk

Yes but it was a conker or a marble not hundred pound phones .
    When bored we spoke to each other .
    • pennypincher2013
    • By pennypincher2013 4th Oct 17, 7:09 PM
    • 247 Posts
    • 33 Thanks
    pennypincher2013
    What do his parents say ?
    Originally posted by Robin9
    They are quite happy for him to have a phone. They bought one for his older brother for Christmas last year.
    They're buying him a PS4 game for his birthday.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,062Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter