Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 27th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 197Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Can it be done?
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:06 PM
    Can it be done? 27th Sep 17 at 7:06 PM
    Hi all,

I've been a lurker of these forums for a decade but never really contributed much
    My circumstances have changed a lot in the past few months - as of last week, I've just lost around 95% of my income.

So, my outgoings are much higher (as I recently moved in with my partner) and my income has just dramatically reduced compared with a few months ago. My OH is also going to be out of work in the next couple of weeks.

Obviously, I'm trying to increase my income (and hopefully OH will find more work) but in the meantime after bills and travel costs etc I'm going to have around 200 to feed both of us each month for at least the next couple of months. This has to include all toiletries (luckily I have a big stash of these from always buying when on special offer in the past), cleaning products (and toilet roll etc), plus any entertainment spending (er- looks like it will have to be nil for a while!). I don't think we will need any new winter clothes, luckily, as I always get these on sale off-season, though we do *need* (definitely not a 'want') a new duvet.

So, I guess I just want some re-assurance... Is it possible to feed 2 adults 3 meals a day, plus keep the house and ourselves in a reasonable state/warm, on ~200 per month or should I start to panic?? I'm going to start meal planning and batch cooking tomorrow (something I did a little anyway but never made a priority as just didn't have the time (was working 14 hour days etc))

I've appreciated all the invaluable advice and helpful comments I've read on here in the past so thanks in advance for reading my slightly jumbled panicked post!
Page 1
    • caronc
    • By caronc 27th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2,765 Posts
    • 17,851 Thanks
    caronc
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    Hi you say after bills etc. you have 200 but mention keeping warm, are fuel costs coming off of this? Either way yes it's very doable. First off I'd do a full stocktake of what you already have, you may be surprised at how much there is, then plan meals using up what you have and buying only what you need to complete the meal. If you like mince based dishes, half the amount of meat you'd usually use and add lentils to bulk it out. Aim for a few meat-free meals every week. Also if you usually use chicken breast trying buying a whole bird. You can easily get 12 portions + soup from this- 2 portions roast dinner(1/2 a breast and the wing each), 2 portions curry (using the other breast), 2 portions stir fry/fried rice using the drumsticks, 2 portions chicken pie (use 1 thigh and underneath meat) and 2 portions spicy chicken wraps (using the other thigh), use the carcass to make soup. Breakfast can cost very little:- toast or porridge and lunch can be soup & bread or leftovers from the previous night (it amazing how far a spoonful of something goes in a toastie. Things on toast like beans or eggs are also good, filling and cheap.
    Good luck
    August 108/120, Sep GC 121/120, Oct GC 141/200, Nov 116/120, Dec 46/60
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 27th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:57 PM
    take a look at the Jack Monroe recipes
    • monnagran
    • By monnagran 27th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 3,182 Posts
    • 40,017 Thanks
    monnagran
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:07 PM
    Just lost a beautifully crafted post.
    Main points.

1) Before you pay for anything ask yourself, "Could I manage without this?"

2) Buy the BASIC range of everything.

3) Haunt the aisles of Lidl and Aldi.

4) Look for yellow sticker bargains. If something is just past its BB date and a snip, buy it, use it at once or freeze for later.

5) Concentrate on one good, healthy meal a day and forget things like puddings or treats.

6) Washing up liquid and bleach will cover most cleaning p roceedures.

7) Tell yourself that this is only temporary.

8) Cheer yourself up with thinking what a good story this is going to make in the future.
    I believe that friends are quiet angels
    Who lift us to our feet when our wings
    Have trouble remembering how to fly.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 27th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 23,350 Posts
    • 90,728 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:50 PM
    Oh, it's very doable. So doable, I'm a bit envious of having that much.

My personal top tips are based initially on the assumption that somebody isn't vegetarian and progresses through the choices/restrictions.

1. Eat less meat, just like they keep telling us to. One chicken breast is enough for two adults. Better still, get a whole chicken and either roast it up on Sunday, then use the leftovers to make a pasta salad packed lunch the next day, then boil up the bones (keep all of them in the fridge - take meat off the bone to serve on Sunday) - and skin - and use it to make soup (blitz softened onion, two good handfuls of cooked veggies, one palm sized cooked potato and some herbs/spices with it - no milk, cream or other ingredients needed).

2. It's often cheaper to get larger pieces of meat and then cut them into portions for freezing separately - if you like little pork medallion type things, don't pay the price for somebody else to slice them, get a pork fillet for around 5-6, cut the pieces yourself and then freeze the ones you aren't going to cook immediately. You have to be disciplined enough (partners can be the danger point!) to not cook far too much, which putting it straight in the freezer achieves.

3. Meat with bones is cheaper because the public are fussy about those things. To get two 'extra trimmed pork medallions' you'd pay about 4 and get 240g of meat. For the same price, you can buy two pork chops weighing 540g - even if you then cut the bone out yourself before cooking, it certainly doesn't weigh more than the meat, so you're getting more usable food just for the effort of running a knife along it, either in the kitchen or when it's on your plate.

4. Acknowledge that somebody used to eating lots of meat at every meal will find it hard to cut back completely. If that's the case, the best way (I think) to do is to make sure that every other day there is something that is obviously meat and then make it less frequent as you adjust.

5. Bulk out anything made with mince with red lentils. In time, if you add something like Bisto to the mix of mince, onions, tinned tomatoes and lentils (plus spices), you'll get to the point where you could forget to add the meat. Adding a handful of porridge oats also bulks and thickens.

6. Chicken curry is expensive. Using half the amount of chicken and serving chicken and chickpea/butter bean/potato/delete as applicable curry is considerably cheaper. Don't chuck sad looking salad leaves away, shove them in at the end of cooking and you get something with additional flavour and some extra vitamins - rocket, baby spinach, pea shoots, lambs lettuce, whatever - they all work.

6a. Seemingly expensive ingredients can be very handy. Avocado, for example, might seem pricey, but if you add it to a small amount of a dearer protein (chicken, prawn, salmon etc), it will still work out cheaper than buying more meat or fish or ordering out because you're still hungry.

7. Eggs and cheese can make meals. Sausages, egg and chips can be turned into egg, chips and bread & butter, thus saving sausages for another meal (or not needing to buy them). Halloumi at 2 a pack is cheaper than the same amount of meat and will also be filling.

8. Veg, veg, veg. Veggies are so cheap (assuming you don't buy the fancy packets of pimped up ones). Fill the majority of your plate with them. Don't buy an expensive foil tin of roasting veg, buy them individually and roast them yourself. You'll have enough left over for other meals and all you've done extra is cut them up and put them into the roasting dish yourself.

9. It's not 'easier' to get a delivery. It takes ages, costs far, far more, has less nutrition and probably doesn't taste all that great by the time it's got to you half cold. If you have a craving for pizza, in the time it takes to order, wait, wait, wait, pick at things in the fridge, get it delivered, find out it's cold and put it in the microwave, realise you've just heated the barbeque sauce to volcanic temperature and then picked at a couple of slices, make three slices of cheese and tomato on toast; you'll get the cheesy, crunchy hit without the thirty quid outlay and hour's wait.

10. If you drink, don't do it all at the pub. If you go to the pub, don't order food.

12. Having herbs, spices and ingredients in the cupboard makes food a whole lot less boring.

13. You've both got to do this. If you're making every penny count, it's going to be gutting to find out that your partner has been buying burger meals, kebab meals or chicken buckets whilst you're out at work because he's feeling deprived.

14. All those little snacks add up. If you don't buy them, you can't eat them. If you've got an irresistible urge for crisps, buy one packet - don't buy a multipack if you know you'll eat them because they're there. If you have to have a couple of biscuits, buy a pack - but don't have them already in, because you'll just end up eating them when you weren't that desperate in the first place, and will result in you buying more.

15. Maybe the most important. Cook for enjoyment/flavour. It's not about depriving yourselves, it's not about eating things you hate because they're cheap, it's not about impressing people standing behind you in the queue at the supermarket. You've just moved in together, so cook together, chat, try making flatbreads and getting flour on his nose.

You can do this. You don't need fancy nights out or the finest clothes. And, as I was told by a very, very, elderly lady when I was 19 and had just moved in with my boyfriend 'candlelight baths together save on electricity, gas, water, bubblebath - and on heating when you're both drying off afterwards'.

Yes, I blushed. But she was right.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 24,178 Posts
    • 50,834 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:01 PM
    Some brilliant posts from OS regulars.
    5) Concentrate on one good, healthy meal a day and forget things like puddings or treats.
    Originally posted by monnagran
    I would add to this that a single meal a day is doable as long as you stay busy, and out of the house. Restrict snacks to bargain priced non-sugary cereal (by that I mean generic Weetabix, cornflakes, rice pops etc) and fruit, stuff that will fill you up.

If you're a big fan of tea and coffee, you'll save money by using the microwave rather than the kettle. I've not tried it myself, but I know other people do it. Wikihow has a method.
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 27th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 23,350 Posts
    • 90,728 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    Some brilliant posts from OS regulars.

I would add to this that a single meal a day is doable as long as you stay busy, and out of the house. Restrict snacks to bargain priced non-sugary cereal (by that I mean generic Weetabix, cornflakes, rice pops etc) and fruit, stuff that will fill you up.

If you're a big fan of tea and coffee, you'll save money by using the microwave rather than the kettle. I've not tried it myself, but I know other people do it. Wikihow has a method.
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I can't manage with just one meal a day, as I get dizzy, but many people can (part of that is probably because my job can be quite physical and involves almost constantly moving around) and the colleagues I know who seem to be the, well, crankiest, are the ones who do not eat at all until the evening.

If the OP's job is quite active, I'd suggest a packed lunch that isn't just one thing or needs to be eaten in one go, but one that includes small, cheap things that can be snacked on as soon as they feel a dip in their energy levels - a few dried fruits, for example - my lunchbox normally contains some cherry tomatoes, carrot, or 5 dates and some walnuts/brazil nuts which normally get eaten by 11.30am (and have been eaten by 9.30am on particularly tough days); as dried fruit and nuts can be a bit pricey, I usually get them from the baking ingredients sections or ethnic food stores as they are cheaper there than the Healthy Living aisles of the supermarket.

That's actually something useful I hadn't thought of - if you use a supermarket, check out the Ethnic Foods aisle - rice is cheaper in big bags than microwave packets, spices come in bigger tubs, nuts are available in bigger bags and cheaper - and the bags of potatoes don't look the same as the normal ones/the potatoes might be too big to be New Potatoes and too small to be bakers or 'normal' size for what we tend to expect, but they are potatoes just like any other, except for being considerably cheaper. Same goes with onions, garlic, ginger, fresh herbs and things like tinned tomatoes, pulses and spice blends.

If you have a small ethnic supermarket nearby, not only are these things cheap, veggies, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and the like are also much cheaper. From the nearest Turkish shop, I can get a huge bag of mini cucumbers for about 3 but Waitrose sell the things in fancy packaging and no more than about 3 or 4 at a time, and the Romano peppers work out at about 30p each, rather than 2 as a 'premium' pepper. And the last time I was in there, you could get unwaxed (and probably organically grown) lemons for 25p, giant watermelons for 3 and things like wild mushrooms, rocket, spinach and globe artichokes for pennies. Decent oils were on sale as well.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 28th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 6,866 Thanks
    jackyann
    • 28th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 5:31 AM
    So much good advice! I'd add:
    Talk it all over with your partner, no good following some of these ideas if they can't say, stand lentils.

Agree on what treats you will allow yourselves, as it's easier to keep to a budget if you know there's a bottle of wine at the end of the week. If need be, a small budget each for an individual treat. My parents always did this.

Porridge for breakfast, I make with dried milk as it's cheaper than liquid, but my Scots friend who was staying regards it as extravagant not to just use water!

Get out on foot and explore your neighbourhood. Find your library, and look out for cheap entertainment. Most lend out DVDs, and have magazines available. Also loads of local information.

Look in charity shops and consider whether some old fashioned bedding could be used with your old duvet to keep you warm this winter.

Between the charity shops and the library, you might find a cheap or productive hobby to help keep you active and occupied.

Keep looking on here and asking advice, good luck!
    • frosty
    • By frosty 28th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 1,102 Posts
    • 1,866 Thanks
    frosty
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:51 AM
    I would check out the supermarkets about 7pm,our local Tesco reduces to silly prices.My husband goes twice a week and spends between 5 and 10 each time.Fruit and veg is reduced to pennies and meat and chilled items have 95 per cent off.I know some stores have stopped doing this,ours did for a while but then started again.Approved food is good and they have free delivery at the moment.
    They have Alpen and weetabix at 50p a box (still in date) you could turn them into cereal bars.They have amazing bargains.
    • bouicca21
    • By bouicca21 28th Sep 17, 9:12 AM
    • 3,288 Posts
    • 4,100 Thanks
    bouicca21
    Try using green lentils instead of meat. Yellow sticker stuff, of course.
    But keep an eye on original price. I get majorly irritated by stuff that is discount from say 4 to 3.50 when it is possible to buy 3 for 10, so really the original price was 3.30 not 4 at all.

And yes the best time for bargain yellow sticker is late, when they have to get rid. I once got packs of high quality burgers for just 25p! I find Wednesday is particularly good. There's often more yellow sticker availability when the shops have been wrong footed by a sudden change in the weather. When we had that very hot spell a while ago, anything that needed lots of cooking sat on the shelves and went yellow sticker. The reverse when it suddenly goes cold and rainy. These are ideal times to grab stuff and add to the freezer.

As for heating, I'm always quite shocked at people who turn the heating up/on before putting on an extra layer. I have cardigans ...

I also have a cheap fleece blanket that I bought from Lidl a few years ago. When it gets really cold at night I put it over the duvet, and it's amazing how toasty warm it gets.
    • trailingspouse
    • By trailingspouse 28th Sep 17, 10:34 AM
    • 2,444 Posts
    • 3,506 Thanks
    trailingspouse
    I spent an average of 50 a week for two adults at Aldi. That includes cleaning materials, toiletries and alcohol.

The quickest way to make savings is to look at the most expensive items you buy at the supermarket -

- washing powder/tabs. Tabs are expensive - use powder, and unless your clothes are filthy you really really don't need as much as the box would have you believe. You don't need conditioner at all. In fact your towels will dry you better if you don't use it!!
    - alcohol - in the short term, you don't need it. Don't buy it until you have an idea of how far your money will stretch.
    - ready meals. So much cheaper to make your own.

Always make a list. Meal planning is a must - I don't plan in detail, I just decide 'Monday mince' or 'Tuesday fish' etc. When Monday comes we might have savoury mince, or chilli, or spag bol or homemade burgers (depending on how we feel, how hungry we are, how much time we have and so on).

Finally - always use up your leftovers. You can freeze leftover stew/spag bol etc etc. Food that is slightly less than fresh needs to be used before it goes over completely. I'm always very annoyed if I need to throw food out just because it's gone off. Keep an eye on what's going on at the back of the fridge!! f days ago, but I forgot I'd got them and today they were mouldy.

And yes, you both have to be on board with this.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 28th Sep 17, 12:42 PM
    • 15,607 Posts
    • 127,418 Thanks
    JackieO
    Eminently very doable and a challenge that we all have gone through at various times in our lives.

Remember the adage that a meat portion should be roughly the size of a playing car ?/palm of your hand and work around that .

The slow cooker and freezer are going to become your best friend, and you will no bin nothing if at all possible

I bought this morning a reduced pack of rump steak for the supermarket for 6.06 virtually half price and divided it up into 9 portions ,one of which I shall have tonight for dinner with a small salad of lettuce, tomato,cucumber a stick of diced celery and some diced beetroot,plus a small jacket spud with a bit of grated cheese on top. In a restaurant this banquet would probably set me back the best part of a tenner ,to me, its cost just under a quid .

A whole chicken in the slow cooker overnight will give you tons of meat to make all sorts of stuff with.

In a lot of the supermarkets they have at the moment a piece of smoked or unsmoked gammon for around 2.68 buy a bit as lean as you can, chuck it in the slow cooker overnight with some cola (not diet though) and hey presto you have some beautiful honey roast ham which when cold will slice up and once portioned freeze very well

This can be used in Pasta (carbonara) or in a pie with a few leeks diced up or just sliced up in sandwiches or with a salad. So many ways to use it up and its very much nicer and cheaper than the plastic packs of slimy pink stuff the supermarkets want to sell you.

Its possible to replace almost all you cereals with basic cornflakes or bran flakes Drizzle some honey over cornflakes (I have some cinnamon flavoured honey that is delicious on top of basic cereal.)

You don't need crisps at all make some flap jacks Easy to make and far more filling than a 25p bag of crisps

Menu plan and before you buy anything make an inventory of what you have in store already That is MONEY sitting it your cupboards ,the same as money in the bank

Use only cash when you go to the shops and eat before you go ,you will be less tempted to buy more if you are full up.

Do your best to think of ways to streeetch what you have .either home made soup before you main meal, (this costs pennies to make from past their best veg, and tastes nicer than tinned stuff ) or a pudding afterwards, even if its only plain ygurt with a dollop of jam and some crushed up cornflakes / bran flakes (similar to Mueller 'corner yoguerts but a fraction of the price )

Most of all don't panic. You will survive and probably find when you situation improves you won't want to go back to your old ways .We have all been in tough situations on here over the years and we are all still alive and kicking

Go fro a walk with your OH ,costs nothing and if you are both in it together it will help for each of you to have a bit of time just being supportive to each other
    Good luck and we are all here if you get stuck on something No question is daft or silly so please ask and we can always find someone who will try to help

JackieO xx
    Last edited by JackieO; 29-09-2017 at 7:36 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 28th Sep 17, 1:33 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 10,540 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    I agree with others.
    For OH and I we spend about 155 for food and non alcoholic drinks a month (31 day month with the idea of 2.50 each a day). We could get this down. Our freezers are basically full. Something goes in almost as soon as a space is made, this even though this month we have been trying to run them down .
    Reduced is a good way to buy. I buy a lot of fruit and veg reduced. You can freeze the fruit if need be (blueberries, strawberries, raspberries etc freeze well) and the veg you could bulk cook in chilli, curry, soups etc and freeze.
    My OH buys most of his meats reduced now. He'll buy a huge joint of beef for 4-5 (sometimes less) when originally 8-11example and cut it into steaks to freeze. When defrosting if he wants it strips or diced he'll cut it as wanted.
    Don't forget buying in bulk when items are on offer or clearance, can save you a lot of money. A while back I bought coffee beans for 50p a pack for example. I bought quite a few packs as I drink real coffee and we have a hand coffee grinder (it's 11 years old and still perfectly fine).
    I've been making porridge in bulk recently for a few days breakfast (I use GF oats but cheap is fine if you have no problems, L!dl do oats very cheap) with fruit from the freezer a bit of cinnamon and its very nice.
    If you want a pudding as it is getting colder apple crumble or rice porridge are cheap.
    We buy spices in bulk too.
    Slow cookers are worth the expense. However recently I bought a multi cooker (it was on offer) and I am loving it, it has a slow cook setting but it does rice, grains, porridge, steams. I have used the brown rice setting to make curry as I forgot to use the slow cook setting and it came out perfectly. I have slow cooked in it and again it was brilliant. I use it basically every day and some days two or three times as I'm bulk cooking.
    If you are going out take food and drink with you. Sandwiches, pasta dish, potato salad, cous cous dish, quinoa dish etc and a bottle of water or some soda (decant from a big bottle to save you money). Maybe with some home made flapjacks or fruit and nut bars. Much cheaper than buying when out.

We don't compromise on what cleaning and toiletry items we use but when they are on offer we buy bulk. I haven't bought laundry detergent this year at all as when it was last on a very good offer last year I snapped up loads. Our under sink is full of washing up liquid, hand soup, sprays etc bought when on offer. It's an initial outlay but it saves so much money.

Entertainment: we have movie nights or sometimes a binge watch of a series. Watch a film/series on the TV showing that night or an old DVD of a film/series you haven't watched in ages. Sometimes resorting to buying a cheap film/series box can be acceptable.
    Food - pizza can be very cheap from scratch and fun to do together. You can have it with home made wedges if you want.
    Fajitas/burritos/enchiladas even homemade chinese are cheap and can be good movie night food too.
    Popping corn can be done in the microwave if you like it when watching a film. Just look online, it's easy and popping corn is cheap.
    You could also play board games or card games. Look at what you have or could possibly borrow from friends. You could even invite friends round and make a night of it that way.

For warmth we layer before putting the heating on, we didn't have heating on during the cold snap a bit ago, it won't likely go on till November. A movie night on the sofa with a blanket over you is nice as it gets colder. We have a snug rug each, blanket with arms, that we use to layer before heating. We have a duvet but layer on blankets as it gets colder.
    We are all electric so it's expensive to heat the flat. Yes our boiler is run on electric to for our hot water (washing up, baths, showers etc). Over the year our monthly spend on electric averages about 50-60. On that note if something is on that could be off, say a light, a charger not charging something, the TV is just background noise and you aren't watching it etc, turn the item off and unplug it. This does add up!
    Last edited by Doom_and_Gloom; 28-09-2017 at 2:14 PM. Reason: typo, little extra info
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • Ginmonster
    • By Ginmonster 28th Sep 17, 3:07 PM
    • 291 Posts
    • 3,048 Thanks
    Ginmonster
    Loads of great tips in the posts above. I would add that there are plenty of good places online to get cheap recipes :

The monthly grocery thread has loads in the first few posts

Websites I've found useful recipes on :

www.bbcgoodfood.com
    www.cookingonabootstrap.com
    www.thriftylesley.com
    www.mortgagefreeinthree.com

Good to browse through and find the kind of things that suit you. Good luck!
    • Doom_and_Gloom
    • By Doom_and_Gloom 28th Sep 17, 3:55 PM
    • 3,422 Posts
    • 10,540 Thanks
    Doom_and_Gloom
    The above reminded me of http://www.cheap-family-recipes.org/
    As a vegan when I could have gluten as well I tried most of the recipes in the second option. Now I have to tweek them a bit but still cheap although the prices are different now.
    OH tried some of the ones in option one and liked them.

Oh a few more tips. We rarely buy freezer bags, as although we could make tortilla wraps we often find them reduced and freeze. OH buys white wraps I buy bfree, but these come in resealable bags. OH uses his for him and I use mine for me. Just use sticker labels if needed for what is in it and date of when put in the freezer.
    Same as others said for plastic take out tubs you may have, re-use them, sticker labels to say what is in it and date made. It is best to do this or you get unidentified food for dinner. You think it is bolongnes mix so get it out thinking that will go well with some left over pasta only to find out that it is curry. Now pasta and curry is fine but not what you were after.
    28 year old vegan woman. My OH is a lovely omni guy
    • jackyann
    • By jackyann 28th Sep 17, 6:00 PM
    • 3,271 Posts
    • 6,866 Thanks
    jackyann
    My tip with little bits of leftovers is to make some patatas bravas,and some nice bread, heat them all up and call them tapas
    • CattyCatX
    • By CattyCatX 29th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 197 Thanks
    CattyCatX
    Argh, I just lost a long reply with multi-quotes!!
    Anyway, thanks so much everyone, I definitely feel better now! Some really awesome tips and I've been checking out all the links mentioned above and will be keeping a close eye on this board. Thanks again!
    • tiredwithtwins
    • By tiredwithtwins 29th Sep 17, 9:55 PM
    • 403 Posts
    • 1,134 Thanks
    tiredwithtwins
    I have been on here for quite a few years now, through several huge life changes ... most recently was leaving my specialist nurse post and going back to basic staff nurse post and at the same time splitting with my partner of nearly 4 years and ending up in nearly 18k of debt. through the fantastic info ive got from here over the eyars, I only spend about 40-50/week on feeding myself and my 3 adult teens. look through all the posts you can, use the links the lovely people on here have put up ... you wont go far wrong!!!
    theres always a sympathetic ear at any time of day ... and what you learn from these lovely people will stand you in good stead for the future - you'll stick to your moneysaving ways long term!
    good luck xxx
    October grocery challenge - 186/200
    nsd oct = 4!
    nov grocery challenge - 42/200
    nsd nov = 6
    • Elliesmum
    • By Elliesmum 6th Oct 17, 11:10 PM
    • 1,444 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    Elliesmum
    My little tip is washing gloop - so cheap and works...

100g soda crystals
    1/2 bar soap
    3 litres of water

Grate the soap into a saucepan heat up with half the water, add the soda crystals. Stir until all dissolved, cool a little and pour into 3 x 1 litre icecream tubs or marg tubs and top with water.

Got the recipe off MSE years ago and it works a dream, use approx a small espresso cup full per wash. The last time I worked out the cost it turned out to be 1p a wash. But that was a while ago.

HTH

EM x
    You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation.
    Plato

Saving for Jersey 2018 - it's a challenge...
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 7th Oct 17, 1:43 AM
    • 24,178 Posts
    • 50,834 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Its possible to replace almost all you cereals with basic cornflakes or bran flakes Drizzle some honey over cornflakes (I have some cinnamon flavoured honey that is delicious on top of basic cereal.)
    Originally posted by JackieO
    Since weve moved into the territory of micro-tips, Id recommend the Tesco own brand of cornflakes, roughly 40p/pack. Id seen it blind taste tested on TV recently, and have to agree!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,655Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter