Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ardb27
    • By ardb27 27th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ardb27
    Old Employer claiming I owe money
    • 27th Sep 17, 3:38 PM
    Old Employer claiming I owe money 27th Sep 17 at 3:38 PM
    Hi all

I'd like to get people's advise please. I left my job 4 months ago to join a rival company (estate agent... oops sorry).

Having been chasing my old employer for underpaying me for commision owed on my last pay check for four months (£1500) and being fobbed off my them, they have finally come back to me and notified me that in fact I owe them circa £600 primarily for damage to a company car which I dispute.

I am interested to hear any advice on how enforceable this is? Can they actually take me to court?

If I do agree to pay (which I won't) and don't want to pay in full then what is a reasonable amount to pay back months and over what period?

Thanks in advance
Page 2
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 2nd Oct 17, 9:11 AM
    • 1,955 Posts
    • 2,909 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Where did he say that??
    Originally posted by scd3scd4
    They don't say it directly. They don't say they didn't know about it either though - it's very vague.

The second paragraph talking about insurance, "fair wear and tear" and the amount of damage on the car is what makes me think this way. If somebody is trying to get you to pay for something you know nothing about you simply deny all responsibility, you don't start quibbling about the amount and degree of damage and insurance.

Hi all
    they have finally come back to me and notified me that in fact I owe them circa £600 primarily for damage to a company car which I dispute.
    Originally posted by ardb27
    Thank you - agree. However I think they would argue that they were getting it fixed and pricing it up. The amount stayed that I owe seems excessive to say the least given the little damage on the car (£1100?!!) and why they could get this paid with insurance, I do not know! Moreover, there is the added layer of ambiguity as to what constitutes as reasonable wear and tear...
    I would be prepared to go to court over this but do not want to risk additional costs and ccj if unsuccessful. It is difficult!!
    Originally posted by ardb27
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 02-10-2017 at 9:15 AM.
    • scd3scd4
    • By scd3scd4 2nd Oct 17, 11:10 AM
    • 445 Posts
    • 359 Thanks
    scd3scd4
    They don't say it directly. They don't say they didn't know about it either though - it's very vague.

The second paragraph talking about insurance, "fair wear and tear" and the amount of damage on the car is what makes me think this way. If somebody is trying to get you to pay for something you know nothing about you simply deny all responsibility, you don't start quibbling about the amount and degree of damage and insurance.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser

Ok, change of mind a bit. Its all over the place. Hopefully he can clarify.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,226Posts Today

8,058Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Hurrah! The ASA's ruled against 2 fake Facebook ads using my image https://t.co/GvNrqDPOC5 tho Facebook still shows others

• PS Today's poll is obviously inspired by the real question I was asked and tweeted about last night.

• Not all firms have panels and HR teams. There are many very small businesses out there without such resources :) https://t.co/cLo0zO7Yqu

• Follow Martin