Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Joana321
    • By Joana321 27th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Joana321
    CIFAs and Renting
    • 27th Sep 17, 3:20 PM
    CIFAs and Renting 27th Sep 17 at 3:20 PM
    Hello there
    I have a question maybe someone will know,
    Do only lenders see a CIFAs flag or does a landlord will also see it when he does his checks for renting?

Thank you
Page 1
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 27th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 27th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 4:37 PM
    Even most basic credit check will include CIFAS report, so if that is part of tenant vetting it will be visible to the landlord.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 27th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 27th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 4:38 PM
    Even most basic credit check will include CIFAS report, so if that is part of tenant vetting it will be visible to the landlord.
    Originally posted by Arleen
    LLs only check public information, they have no right of access to what is commonly called a credit check.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 27th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:06 PM
    LLs only check public information, they have no right of access to what is commonly called a credit check.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    That is incorrect. There are many companies who offer a credit check service for landlords and it costs as little as £10. Everything available to any lender on your credit file would be available to a landlord doing a credit check.
    • Arleen
    • By Arleen 27th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 1,038 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    Arleen
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:14 PM
    Correct, technically it's called tenant check/whatever but many people, including agencies, call it credit check. You can see what it has on this example http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/background-checking/sample-reports/tenant-verifier-instant-report.pdf which is slightly more than the obvious public records like CCJs.
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 27th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 863 Thanks
    camelot1971
    • 27th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 6:38 PM
    That is incorrect. There are many companies who offer a credit check service for landlords and it costs as little as £10. Everything available to any lender on your credit file would be available to a landlord doing a credit check.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    I'm sorry but that is plain wrong. Reference companies have no access to someones credit report - they can only check public records. If you look at that Experian report, the language used is very vague. The sales pitch might imply a full credit report but that is just that - imply rather than fact.

They can and do verify identity and public data using CRA data but that is completely different.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 27th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    tenchy
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:20 PM
    I'm sorry but that is plain wrong. Reference companies have no access to someones credit report - they can only check public records. If you look at that Experian report, the language used is very vague. The sales pitch might imply a full credit report but that is just that - imply rather than fact.

They can and do verify identity and public data using CRA data but that is completely different.
    Originally posted by camelot1971

Correct. If you look into the detail, this is precisely what happens.
    • 123warrior123
    • By 123warrior123 28th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    123warrior123
    • 28th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 2:53 PM
    Are you sure it doesn't show up.

Pretty sure I have read any financial crime will come up during these checks. I'm pretty sure any case of fraud will be shown up and you will be rejected.

The landlord or agent will find this out one way or the other
    • 123warrior123
    • By 123warrior123 28th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    123warrior123
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:24 PM
    This site even says they do it under credit check header

Website is SHELTER

Credit Checks

"Most landlords run a credit check to see if you've had problems paying bills in the past.

The landlord will need your written permission to do this.

Be honest about a bad credit rating before you pay any fees. If you fail a credit check you risk losing any fees you may have paid.

If you have a poor credit history you could be asked to provide a larger deposit, pay more rent in advance or find a guarantor. "

Basically if you dont give them permission you are rejected. If you do they see the CIFA flag or Fraud conviction and you are again rejected.

CIFA will show on a credit report as will fraud conviction. They need your permission but if you give it they will see exactly what you would see.
    Last edited by 123warrior123; 28-09-2017 at 4:45 PM.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 28th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    tenchy
    This site even says they do it under credit check header

Website is SHELTER

Credit Checks

"Most landlords run a credit check to see if you've had problems paying bills in the past.

The landlord will need your written permission to do this.

Be honest about a bad credit rating before you pay any fees. If you fail a credit check you risk losing any fees you may have paid.

If you have a poor credit history you could be asked to provide a larger deposit, pay more rent in advance or find a guarantor. "

Basically if you dont give them permission you are rejected. If you do they see the CIFA flag or Fraud conviction and you are again rejected.

CIFA will show on a credit report as will fraud conviction. They need your permission but if you give it they will see exactly what you would see.
    Originally posted by 123warrior123

But - credit files are only available to the closed group of data contributors, with a large number of exceptions, of which I don't think landlord organisations and service providers are one. I think the Experian rep will clarify all of this.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 28th Sep 17, 5:47 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 3,165 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Under the principles of reciprocity viewers of data can only see on a credit check what data they also put in. As such a credit search undertaken by a lettings agency will only see public information such as CCJs and bankruptcy, and not CIFAS (which is also not strictly relevant to a tenancy agreement anyway).
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Sep 17, 10:39 AM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Comms69
    Originally posted by Tarambor

No, it's not incorrect.

They just check the register for you.

You're wrong, so do some research.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 29th Sep 17, 12:25 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    tenchy
    No, it's not incorrect.

They just check the register for you.

You're wrong, so do some research.

To clarify, Tarambor is incorrect, at least according to my understanding.
    • JuicyJesus
    • By JuicyJesus 29th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 3,053 Posts
    • 3,165 Thanks
    JuicyJesus
    Originally posted by tenchy
    Tarambor is wrong, yes.

The Principles of Reciprocity are available freely online, and one of the key principles is as follows:

3. Data will be shared on the principle that subscribers receive the sa me credit performance level data that they contribute, and should contribute all such data available

In plain English, if you aren't going to put in missed payments etc you don't get to see them. Tenant checks in particular are very restricted in what they can see, usually to public information only, because nothing about the rental contract gets recorded.

CIFAS is not public information. If you are getting a credit search only CIFAS will not be included. You should be expressly told through some means (i.e. in the contract) if you are.

http://www.experian.co.uk/assets/responsibilities/brochures/por.pdf
    urs sinserly,
    ~~joosy jeezus~~
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Sep 17, 2:10 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Comms69
    Originally posted by tenchy

That's what I said?

To clarify - letting agents and landlord only see public date. This isn't a debateable point, it's a fact
    • SJD1988
    • By SJD1988 6th Oct 17, 3:33 PM
    • 12 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    SJD1988
    Whilst I agree that most landlords can only see public information, when I moved into my most recent place, the check they did on me revealed far more than just public information, the landlord was able to see I had in the past had credit that was with debt collection agencies etc.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 6th Oct 17, 3:54 PM
    • 1,315 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    Comms69
    Whilst I agree that most landlords can only see public information, when I moved into my most recent place, the check they did on me revealed far more than just public information, the landlord was able to see I had in the past had credit that was with debt collection agencies etc.
    Originally posted by SJD1988

Impossible.
    • Aurorax
    • By Aurorax 6th Oct 17, 7:01 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Aurorax
    Something similar happened to myself as the above poster, they could not see the amounts or dates of my credit, but they could see names, and it led to being questioned by the estate agent. Far more than the public information they should only be privy too.
    • tenchy
    • By tenchy 6th Oct 17, 7:24 PM
    • 164 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    tenchy
    Something similar happened to myself as the above poster, they could not see the amounts or dates of my credit, but they could see names, and it led to being questioned by the estate agent. Far more than the public information they should only be privy too.
    Originally posted by Aurorax

Sounds like a case for the Information Commissioner.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,148Posts Today

5,752Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• RT @thismorning: With his last deals of the year, @MartinSLewis wishes us all a 'very merry Christmas, a happy Hanukkah and a wonderful and?

• Follow Martin