Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wizard of Id
    • By Wizard of Id 27th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 2,438Posts
    • 9,633Thanks
    Wizard of Id
    Perks of your job
    • 27th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    Perks of your job 27th Sep 17 at 12:04 PM
    Do you get any 'perks' where you work?

Could be free transport, an allowance for throwing parties, trips abroad for research or even just free samples of what your company makes.

I spent most of my working life in factories so not many freebies to be had but a blind eye was turned if I was needing to make something, I was allowed (within reason) the material and time to do the work.
    In one place we did get computers to test, unfortunately they had to go back but the test period did inspire me to go out and buy my own.
    In another company some of us got gas fires to test at home, we were making a few parts for the fire and doing the final assembly and some of them were tested by the employees for a week at a time, we got an allowance for the gas used as well and a registered fitter installed the fires and removed them again at the end of the test. We did have to keep records of useage and temperature settings etc but it was free heating in the winter (not so good in summer)
    Every man is innocent until proven broke.
    Cryin won't help you, prayin won't do you no good.

Walk 2000 3000 miles in 2017 - 3189.5
    This week 56.1
Page 4
    • Anesidora
    • By Anesidora 1st Oct 17, 7:32 PM
    • 483 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    Anesidora
    Good enough pension as I am pre the 2008 system

Ongoing training or chance to move around Trusts if i desire, lots of options

Full pay when off sick but the way things are going in the NHS I think that will soon stop
    And in the middle of the flood I felt my worth

When you held onto me like I was your little life raft
    Please know that you were mine as well

Drops of water hit the ground like God's own tears
    And spread out into shapes like
    Salad bowls and basins and buckets for bailing out the flood
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 1st Oct 17, 7:58 PM
    • 19,708 Posts
    • 31,856 Thanks
    Spendless
    Free parking. Don't pay for tea and coffee. A cheap (not subsidised) canteen on site. The radio on all day. Because I work for an agency rather than the company, I can take more holidays, even if unpaid, than if I worked directly, which is one of the larger reasons why for now, I'm staying.
    • MrsShazbat
    • By MrsShazbat 1st Oct 17, 8:06 PM
    • 488 Posts
    • 2,531 Thanks
    MrsShazbat
    13 extra days off on top of our 25 days' leave = Tuesday off after each of the 3 main bank holidays and Christmas shutdown with an extra day if there's a stray Monday or Friday when technically we should be open, flexi time (I'm 18 hours up at the moment), good pay, unmonitored and unrestricted internet access. We usually finish early on the last day before Xmas but they have to send out the obligatory "it's a normal working day" email - we finish when Security tell us they're locking up.
    Originally posted by MrsShazbat
    I could do a degree if I wanted without having to pay fees, good pension, good salary - I'd have to take at least a £5k pay cut to do an equivalent job for the council or NHS. We have to buy our own tea, coffee, milk, Xmas do, etc., canteens are supposedly reasonably priced but apart from £1 Wednesdays they're actually quite expensive, there's a lot of health and wellbeing support services, annual medical-type check-up, cheap physio rates, subsidised travel.
    * Xmas 2018 #8 £0 / £365 * (2017 £496.53; 2016 £424.32) * SPCNo.11 #66
    (SPCNo.10 £682.31 * SPCNo.9 £442.64 * inc Quidco to 2/11/17 £249.69) *
    • iammumtoone
    • By iammumtoone 1st Oct 17, 9:04 PM
    • 5,360 Posts
    • 11,014 Thanks
    iammumtoone
    subsidised canteen, we do have to pay for tea and coffee though.
    Free mineral water - is it bad I sometimes fill up my bottle to take home and drink in the evening
    decent salary for the area
    flexible if you need to pop out as long as you don't take advantage
    discount off purchases from high street stores and supermarkets (I really should use this more)
    some heath lines to ring if needed (again I really should find out more about this)
    free fruit every Friday (although it never looks very appetising lol)
    occasional staff sales if you are lucky enough to get there before it sells out!
    Full sick pay, the time you get this for increases the longer you have worked there.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 1st Oct 17, 10:00 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    I get to work from home which has been great to see my young kids grow up. Used to get commission and bonuses but sadly nothing in the last few years due to tougher trading conditions.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 2nd Oct 17, 12:20 AM
    • 1,222 Posts
    • 2,828 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Don't get tea, coffee, milk or sugar where I am. Neither does xmas meal gets paid for. And on the xmas meal we are only granted 1 hour. Any longer has to come out of TOIL or annual leave!!

Perks are:
    Flexible working hours / compressed hours.

Company iPad & parking permit for the borough.

6 months off sick on full pay (I've yet to use this though).

Unoffial perks - access to printer, phone (to premium numbers) & franking machine.
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 2nd Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 19,708 Posts
    • 31,856 Thanks
    Spendless
    Don't get tea, coffee, milk or sugar where I am. Neither does xmas meal gets paid for. And on the xmas meal we are only granted 1 hour. Any longer has to come out of TOIL or annual leave!!

Perks are:
    Flexible working hours / compressed hours.

Company iPad & parking permit for the borough.

6 months off sick on full pay (I've yet to use this though).

Unoffial perks - access to printer, phone (to premium numbers) & franking machine.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    Only once have I worked somewhere where they closed for a Xmas meal. It was a charity and I was a voluntary worker.

Every other place I have ever worked a works Christmas 'do' takes place in your own time after hours on an evening. Due to Christmas being our busiest time, where I work, the Christmas do takes place in January.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 2nd Oct 17, 11:04 PM
    • 4,970 Posts
    • 11,799 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    Free tea/ coffee with the occasional cappuccino/latte/hot chocolate.

Free cake occasionally..........if it is past its best to sell or is a new one we havent had before. (have to be able to tell the customers what its like dont we.)

Free food for lunch......soup/pannin/ciabatta/sarnie

Tips.......which boost a poorly paid industry, though when I look at what some workers pay out a day for lunch and travel expenses, I'm not that much worse off.

I can take a free newspaper home which also gives me my daily code for mail rewards

Oh and one which means a lot to me is that I get all the veg scraps/peelings and coffee grounds which I take to my allotment and keep my compost bins well fed.
    Make £10 a day challenge Jan/£215.84/ Feb £146.45/ Mar £192.55/Apr £171.20/ May £156.40/june £95.55/ Jul £383.85/Aug £211.60/Sep £282.35/Oct £122.54/Nov £271.08/Dec £67.49
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1628.14 miles
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,558Posts Today

8,409Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin