Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 26th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    • 2,871Posts
    • 3,927Thanks
    Cakeguts
    Car parking outside schools
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:14 PM
    Car parking outside schools 26th Sep 17 at 11:14 PM
    http://www.bbc.com/news/education-41399134 Any comments?
Page 2
    • Kit1
    • By Kit1 28th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    Kit1
    Or they were aware- hit and run, hope they were reported to the Police.
    Originally posted by cjdavies
    Yes it was reported to the police.
    Stash Busting Challenge 2016 6/52
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 29th Sep 17, 10:01 AM
    • 521 Posts
    • 383 Thanks
    Comms69
    Hi
    At my daughters primary school they'd regularly have police officers outside & people would behave then but as soon as no police officer in sight they'd be back to parking on double yellow lines etc.
    I once had a word with a police officer asking why didn't an officer in plain clothes come round & ticket everyone they caught parking illegally but I was told they had to be in uniform to issue a ticket.
    Personally I think it's time rules like this were reviewed.

Jen
    Originally posted by sooty&sweep

That's not true, a constable has the same powers whether in or out of uniform.

CEOs however do not.

That said police very very rarely issue tickets for parking.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 29th Sep 17, 1:30 PM
    • 36,090 Posts
    • 151,772 Thanks
    silvercar
    I think many parents would like schools to resemble a drive-in McDonalds where they could just drop off and collect their child without even getting out of the car.
    by maman
    A school near me does that, combined with a rota of parents to assist little ones out of the car and into school. It does keep the traffic moving and prevent bad parking.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 29th Sep 17, 3:08 PM
    • 16,478 Posts
    • 278,453 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    I have the 'misfortune" of living very close to a school. I'm gobsmacked every time I'm home at school run time just how inconsiderate the parents are. There are single yellow lines across my driveway which run for about 3 houses either side of us which apparently don't apply to the parents, they drive the wrong way down the one way part of my street, block driveways constantly and one day I came home early to find a car parked ON my drive

It's hell at school run time. You don't dare try and leave the house in the car at school run time!

Then when someone is parked in "their" space across your drive and you ask them to move, we are the ones who cop the abuse!

And most of the parents live only one or two streets away, with some living on the same street!
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly. I can help merge threads here and there. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...

Attempt number 7854- W1-3 -6lbs
    • workingalwaysworking
    • By workingalwaysworking 30th Sep 17, 11:15 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    workingalwaysworking
    We live in a cul de sac with a path that leads to the school my son attends. We have people parking at the end of the street and on a few occasions over our driveway which pees me off no end. People parking over grass verges and over half the path pee me off too - I have a 6 year old and a newborn in a pram to navigate round cars.

It doesn't help we live on an estate that is still being built either, so we have the traffic of the workmen (vans, lorries etc) so when these cars are haphazardly dumped, they are often sat in the road trying to get passed, causing traffic jams.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 3rd Oct 17, 3:08 AM
    • 3,477 Posts
    • 2,820 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I used to live about 2 minutes walk from a school the road was already so tight that if cars parked on one side of the road, buses couldn't pass without going at a snails pace, drop off and pick up times meant there was cars on either both sides of road or parked on the footpath meaning I couldn't even get out of my flat, and it was even worse a few times a week as they held football games in the field so there was no space for any traffic to get through.

And on a side note the little "darlings" would use my garden as a hang out and dump rubbish there as my block of flats was the nearest ones with gardens.

I also remember on occasions parents screaming at me after they parked on the pathway and I had to squeeze past and they swore and told me I should walk on the road and not near their car (well how else was I supposed to get into my block when they blocked off my steps)
    • lush walrus
    • By lush walrus 3rd Oct 17, 3:23 AM
    • 1,917 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    lush walrus
    It's a tricky situation for everyone isn't it. We live on a road close to a fee paying school. We had similar issues until meters were placed across from us and double yellows on our side. Now it's a dream, the school stop anyone pulling up by telling them to move their car if they are parked on the yellow lines. Now they are into term they are trained so less effort to maintain. And some parents prefer it 60p and they are guaranteed a parking space.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,195Posts Today

7,848Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin