Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • fiisch
    • By fiisch 26th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    • 187Posts
    • 73Thanks
    fiisch
    How to Find a Job for a 60-Year Old
    • 26th Sep 17, 10:56 PM
    How to Find a Job for a 60-Year Old 26th Sep 17 at 10:56 PM
    I posted a few weeks back about my father's predicament at work and unfortunately he has been dismissed without notice. In summary, he posted something ill-advised on Facebook (not vulgar or aggressive) that was critical of his employer and he has been dismissed for gross misconduct. It was a very foolish mistake, and he accepts what he did wasn't particularly wise - especially as they are in the process of looking for voluntary redundancies - but what's done is done.

He has worked for the company (an airline) in various front-line ground-staff roles for the last 20 years. Before that, he was a sales manager after a short spell in the army after he left school. He turns 60 next week, and has been out of the job-hunting game for a long while.

He wasn't on a dazzling salary, but it was good compared to new starters, and given that he lives 30 miles away from the airport, there's an argument to say he should look for something closer to home, but aviation is what he loves.

Obviously, the news has been devastating to the family, but my advice is to consider it done (there is an appeal on-going, but I imagine the chances of success are less than zero). What I am not sure of is how he best goes about finding another job at his age, with no obvious transferrable skills? The most tragic thing of all is he's a very intelligent man who is extremely capable and highly IT Literate (ashamed to say, more so than me, and I work in IT!) and a "young" 60, but his CV is going to suggest otherwise. Has anyone been in a similar situation? Has anyone found a job in a very different industry at a similar time of life?

I am assuming that he will have to explain the circumstances surrounding why he left his last job, so I've advised him to prepare an answer should this come up in an interview. My understanding is that he's not compelled to volunteer the information, but if he's directly asked why did you leave your last job or questions around previous dismissals appear on an application form, then he's obligated to be open and honest.

I am also assuming his CV should make only very brief reference to jobs twenty years ago, and focus on his roles with his most recent employer. I have most recently worked as a contractor, and did wonder if he could get a job quickly to tide him over as low level contractor e.g.: Data Entry?

Any advice/ideas are much appreciated. TIA.
Page 2
    • Magic Sister
    • By Magic Sister 7th Oct 17, 7:50 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    Magic Sister
    To be honest no one wants someone over 60! Try small property management companies. They might hire someone in a 55+ community. They like maintenance people around that age. Good luck.
    Originally posted by alex80
    You're a cheery soul, aren't you?!! Way to encourage all those people who've got to work till they're 67 but according to you no one wants them.
    You'll be that age yourself one day. I hope you remember your words.
    • andygb
    • By andygb 7th Oct 17, 12:04 PM
    • 11,751 Posts
    • 25,316 Thanks
    andygb
    Well, I'm 60 and was made redundant earlier in the year. I can't get any work and I'm pretty sure it's age related. I don't put age-specific on my CV, and I get as far as interview, but no offers. Last time I was looking for work (4 years ago) I had no problem. The only thing that's changed is my age. Some industries just don't want to hire older people - I know it's illegal but that doesn't stop them! It's a real problem. And I won't get my pension until 66.
    Originally posted by felix-the-cat

Stick at it Felix, I am only a year younger than you, and it took ages for me to get a job, and then two came along at once, forcing me to choose.
    I agree it is very difficult, particularly when you get to interview and the attitude seems to change when they see you.
    Best of luck and I hope you get something soon.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin