Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • dandy-candy
    • By dandy-candy 26th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    • 1,669Posts
    • 8,745Thanks
    dandy-candy
    Anyone here vegan?
    • 26th Sep 17, 9:49 PM
    Anyone here vegan? 26th Sep 17 at 9:49 PM
    I've been vegetarian before, the longest was for a year. I'm planning on starting again but was wondering how hard it is to go vegan? It seems a bit extreme on paper, but I am uncomfortable about animal welfare in this country. I only eat organic eggs and dairy already, but I still don't know if there welfare is much better.
Page 2
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 6th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 1,274 Posts
    • 5,894 Thanks
    MandM90
    Considering you are Vegans, what are your moral views on killing plants to live?
    Originally posted by robin58
    I don't think here is the place for that discussion. If you want to start a thread on it I'd head over to the Moneysavers Arms
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • drinkupretty
    • By drinkupretty 6th Oct 17, 4:37 PM
    • 2,643 Posts
    • 6,619 Thanks
    drinkupretty
    Considering you are Vegans, what are your moral views on killing plants to live?
    They have no central nervous system and I have to eat something to not die
    "I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes"
    • BrassicWoman
    • By BrassicWoman 6th Oct 17, 5:41 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 5,531 Thanks
    BrassicWoman
    2/10, must be less obvious
    Downsized and mortgage free
    Oct 17 grocery challenge £130.57/£150
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 6th Oct 17, 8:27 PM
    • 19,568 Posts
    • 31,587 Thanks
    Spendless
    I thought about this thread last weekend when we went to Durham. Both veggie and vegan options, on pub menus, in cafes and as street food. Far more choice than where I live. I really want to take veggie DD next time, for her to ample the food on offer. Travelling 1st class by Virgin trains was a different story. Breakfast was chocolate croissant, yoghurt, muffin, apple/banana. Rest of day choice was egg sandwich or duck wraps, crisps, muffin. The choice for Vegans would have been fruit for breakfast and crisps during the rest of the day (back of crisp packet said they were suitable for vegetarians and vegans).
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 7th Oct 17, 7:38 AM
    • 13,637 Posts
    • 37,074 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention
    I thought about this thread last weekend when we went to Durham. Both veggie and vegan options, on pub menus, in cafes and as street food. Far more choice than where I live. I really want to take veggie DD next time, for her to ample the food on offer. Travelling 1st class by Virgin trains was a different story. Breakfast was chocolate croissant, yoghurt, muffin, apple/banana. Rest of day choice was egg sandwich or duck wraps, crisps, muffin. The choice for Vegans would have been fruit for breakfast and crisps during the rest of the day (back of crisp packet said they were suitable for vegetarians and vegans).
    Originally posted by Spendless
    Never travelled 1st class on trains yet - but that food doesnt sound like my definition of "1st class food" whatever way one eats.

Sounds like it's necessary to send letters/emails to "someone in charge" there to get them to change their ways and cater suitably for people whose choices are restricted (whether by choice - or otherwise).

Though I dont know Durham - I would imagine university cities are probably the best places for eating out. I must admit that I find anywhere outside a city with a university pretty dire for finding places to eat full stop. The only place outside a "city with university" that I've found has a good choice of places to eat out personally is Totnes and I can find plenty of choice there.

But, being some distance from a city with a university in or Totnes these days and yep...you have me sighing in sympathy. It does have to be a place that doesnt just have a university - but is a city as well basically to have a decent choice imo. I can think of 3 places with universities in "within my current range - ie West Wales" and they've only got literally one decent place to eat between all 3 of them imo (and I'm only "veering on vegan - bit flexitarian"). There's somewhere more "middle class" within my current range I can travel to - where I can find two places I can eat lunch at (but restricted choice even for veggies). I struggle to find food that's just modern/vegetarian/decently-cooked.
    Last edited by moneyistooshorttomention; 07-10-2017 at 7:41 AM.
    #MeToo
    • Doody
    • By Doody 7th Oct 17, 4:22 PM
    • 84 Posts
    • 192 Thanks
    Doody
    Vegan food buying for oneself and sometimes eating out is so much easier now. I became vegetarian around '73 and in those days finding a vegetarian cheese was a challenge! It took me around 10 years to change over to being completely vegan and wish I'd done it sooner. Now any mainstream supermarket will have a vegan margarine, vegan ice-cream and non-dairy milks. The vegan womble is a good source of info on UK products. https://www.veganwomble.co.uk/

B12 is an issue. Both for carnies and vegans. Animals reared for consumption are given B12 supplements, so that is why meat is a reliable source. Some people talk about getting it from unwashed veggies. Very bad advice - take a supplement. Spirulina is not a good source either.

Well done for your three days into the new world. Enjoy life with a clean conscience.
    • BearPearSun
    • By BearPearSun 8th Oct 17, 8:48 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 64 Thanks
    BearPearSun
    I've been vegan for around 3 years now. It's simple enough but I do make sure that I plan my meals make sure I'm getting all of my vits and minerals in. I've never been in a situation where I wasn't able to eat because of a lack of options (although there was one time that I had a plain baked potato with tomato ketchup as my only option!)
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 11th Oct 17, 8:11 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    rawr_
    I've been vegan for 5 months now, and it hasn't been nearly as hard to give up meat, dairy and eggs as I thought it would be. I went from being full omni for 24 years - me and my husband made the decision together, he had grown up a vegetarian but had eaten meat for the last 8 years or so.

Does anybody come across anybody offended by your life choice? I'm never pushy with my veganism, I don't judge others as I ate meat for so long, how could I? But it's like as soon as I say I can't have X because I'm a vegan, the walls get thrown up and some people get a little defensive, like I'm outright offending them! This has been the only real struggle. Someone where my husband works said that they would just eat more meat to counteract him not eating it - I thought it was a bit uncalled for.
    Biggest competition win: 12 night culinary tour of Vietnam for 2015!
    • moneyistooshorttomention
    • By moneyistooshorttomention 11th Oct 17, 8:19 AM
    • 13,637 Posts
    • 37,074 Thanks
    moneyistooshorttomention

Does anybody come across anybody offended by your life choice? I'm never pushy with my veganism, I don't judge others as I ate meat for so long, how could I? But it's like as soon as I say I can't have X because I'm a vegan, the walls get thrown up and some people get a little defensive, like I'm outright offending them! This has been the only real struggle. Someone where my husband works said that they would just eat more meat to counteract him not eating it - I thought it was a bit uncalled for.
    Originally posted by rawr_
    They are not entitled to act that way. Personally, I'd feel sorry for them that they'd been brought up without any manners and hadnt learnt any since - because of how much harder life would be for them when it came to dealing with anyone more normal (ie with manners).

I would say people are being "defensive" because many hosts/hostesses want to be seen to be holding a social do - but don't really want to make the effort involved and want an "easy ride" of it and they are trying to psych you into not causing them any more trouble. Personally - if I'm the one hosting an occasion - then part of my duty as a hostess imo is to check that people can actually eat the food I'm serving and hence I always ask people if there's anything they "can't or won't eat" and then I know I've covered all bases (be it vegetarian, vegan, allergies, so-called allergies, food preferences, etc). Done & dusted and I know they'll eat everything I serve.

As for the ignoramus that made that comment to your husband - he has really shown himself up saying that.

Just ignore them.
    #MeToo
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 11th Oct 17, 9:06 AM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 39,244 Thanks
    Caterina
    Ah well, sadly this is the end of my vegan lifestyle for the time being. Going into hospital for hip replacement soon, so to check about best thing to do I consulted a nutritional therapist.

She told me that, post op, it's no time to be vegan, as in order to recuperate as fast as possible, my body will need extra proteins and it would be very complicated to get enough (without overdosing on carbs and putting on weight) while in hospital and on my return home when I won't be able to shop and cook for myself for a while.

I feel bad in a way but also need to balance it all with the amount of stress that it would create me to stick to my ethical position. I am going to forgive myself for the time being and stick to mostly vegetarian (with the odd tin of mackerel thrown in) for simplicity, until I'm back on my feet and good to go (vegan, again, maybe).
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 11th Oct 17, 9:14 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    rawr_
    As for the ignoramus that made that comment to your husband - he has really shown himself up saying that.
    moneyistoshorttomention: It was a woman believe it or not - maybe it was supposed to be taken as a joke... we have a very good sense of humour but didn't find that funny at all. He shrugged it off as most men probably would - I'd have probably griped back!

Caterina - sorry to hear that. Protein always seems to be a scary one for people (and doctors). I'm not sure if this is exaggerated or not, but I think it's fair enough if it's going to make life easier for you for a while!
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 11th Oct 17, 9:23 AM
    • 5,706 Posts
    • 39,244 Thanks
    Caterina
    Rawr thank you for your kind and considerate comment. It took me a while to accept this as I had steadily moved towards a 100% plant based lifestyle, but over the journey my body has often tried to tell me it didn't like it, going against my mind and heart. So I'm accepting that for the time being I'll take the easier option and then we'll see. I'm slightly uncomfortable with this decision but I know it's for the best of my health (if not for the poor animals').
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 11th Oct 17, 1:48 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    Izadora
    I would say people are being "defensive" because many hosts/hostesses want to be seen to be holding a social do - but don't really want to make the effort involved and want an "easy ride" of it and they are trying to psych you into not causing them any more trouble.
    Originally posted by moneyistooshorttomention
    I don't know that it's anything to do with hosting as I've had plenty of similar comments, regarding being vegetarian rather than vegan, from people who are never, ever going to have to cater for me or be affected by my choices.

I think it's more likely to do with the fact that there are some rather militant vegans/vegetarians around and sometimes everyone ends up getting tarred with the same brush. Some of the abuse I've had from vegans (I've been called a murdering rapist for the fact that I eat eggs and drink milk...) is horrible and while it will never excuse having a go at someone for their dietary choices it does mean I tend to be slightly wary when someone announces that they're vegan.

maybe it was supposed to be taken as a joke... we have a very good sense of humour but didn't find that funny at all. He shrugged it off as most men probably would - I'd have probably griped back
    Personally I would've taken it as a joke and seen it as no more hurtful than if I'd said no to something, without giving any reason as to why, and someone had responded with "Oh good, all the more for me then."
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 12th Oct 17, 8:01 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    rawr_
    Personally I would've taken it as a joke and seen it as no more hurtful than if I'd said no to something, without giving any reason as to why, and someone had responded with "Oh good, all the more for me then."
    I think if they'd have said "Oh well more for me then" would've been fine. What they said was a little more spiteful. I think it was wrong that you were called what you were, at the end of the day we have been brought up in a society where eating meat/eggs/dairy is expected and a normal thing to do - so in my opinion people can't be blamed for doing just that. Same as if we'd been brought up in a society where that was frowned upon, we would all be vegan.

I agree there are a lot of militant vegans out there, and they seriously harm our stance to be honest.
    • Prinzessilein
    • By Prinzessilein 12th Oct 17, 8:44 AM
    • 2,006 Posts
    • 9,274 Thanks
    Prinzessilein
    I am an omni...although I was veggie for some years. A few family members chose to go down the vegan route for some years....one is now omni, the other veggie.

I certainly think it is easier to be vegan today......I remember helping to cater for a vegan wedding - it must be about 20 years ago now...the couple wanted a buffet - easiest to arrange, but still a HUGE job....today you can buy so much on the supermarkets that just wasn't available then....(if I say so myself, that buffet was delicious and ALL the gests enjoyed the food...the iced wedding cake was a work of art!)

I do agree that militant vegans do NOTHING to help further their cause...I still remember a couple coming to a dinner party - the hosts had catered for a veggie couple and the vegan couple as well as two or three Omni couples...all went well until the vegan husband queried the ingredients in his main course - it turned out that one ingredient was veggie but NOT vegan ..he scowled, and stomped off to the bathroom where he proceeded to make himself sick...sadly, but somewhat understandably, they didn't get that many invitations after that.
    Last edited by Prinzessilein; 12-10-2017 at 5:28 PM.
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 12th Oct 17, 2:24 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    To be honest I have encountered very few militant vegans (although I have heard lots about them!). I am getting very fed up of meat eaters asking how on earth I can do it and getting annoyed when I say no to the biscuit tin though! I find my biggest difficulty is eating out as I am getting very fed up of salads...
    GC Oct 17: £137.65/£200
    2017 MFW #130 £6599.86/£250
    • rawr_
    • By rawr_ 12th Oct 17, 3:27 PM
    • 45 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    rawr_
    my biggest difficulty is eating out as I am getting very fed up of salads...
    I agree with the eating out thing - we definitely do it less. Although a lot of chain restaurants have started to do vegan options now, so I guess it depends on where you live? We're quite lucky and live about an hour away from Norwich, where there is quite a lot of choice - but don't tend to travel that far just for a meal out!
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 12th Oct 17, 3:40 PM
    • 266 Posts
    • 212 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    It wont make a difference to animal welfare. One person is not going to change a thing.
    • debtfreeforlife
    • By debtfreeforlife 12th Oct 17, 4:16 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 186 Thanks
    debtfreeforlife
    I agree with the eating out thing - we definitely do it less. Although a lot of chain restaurants have started to do vegan options now, so I guess it depends on where you live? We're quite lucky and live about an hour away from Norwich, where there is quite a lot of choice - but don't tend to travel that far just for a meal out!
    I'm in Bristol which is reasonably good as there are lots of vegetarian restaurants, but I mostly eat out with omni friends who tend to outnumber me! Although they're all really good about looking for veggie options beforehand, the interesting vegan options are mostly in the vegetarian/vegan restarants. That said I've managed to get two vegan meals out in the last few weeks which has been good!
    GC Oct 17: £137.65/£200
    2017 MFW #130 £6599.86/£250
    • Izadora
    • By Izadora 12th Oct 17, 4:26 PM
    • 1,403 Posts
    • 4,032 Thanks
    Izadora
    It wont make a difference to animal welfare. One person is not going to change a thing.
    Originally posted by NineDeuce
    If everyone thought like that then nothing would ever change. No, one person becoming vegan isn't going to affect animal welfare but them speaking up about it might change one other person's mind.
    That person may then raise awareness of welfare issues to another three people. Those three people may then convert another few people to veganism/fair treatment of animals and on and on it goes until there's a noticeable shift in general attitudes.

You've only got to look at the change in availability of vegetarian and vegan food over the last few years to see that people can make a difference. Even if they couldn't I'd still rather live my life a way that's acceptable to me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

695Posts Today

5,371Users online

Martin's Twitter