Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 26th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 11Thanks
    JW1975
    O2 cell site outage for several month - very little service
    • 26th Sep 17, 9:01 PM
    O2 cell site outage for several month - very little service 26th Sep 17 at 9:01 PM
    I have been with O2 on the same numb for 20 years and pay about £60 a month for my phone (moderate to high user)

In the last 7-9 months one or more of the cell sites in my home area has been out of action. I work from home and my mobile coverage is pants. 1 bar at best and usually no service at all during the evening.

I use TU where possible but the call clarity is only good for about 5 mins and then the quality drops by 50%.

Whilst I appreciate there maybe times of outages at what point does the company have to say 'we are providing a poor service and as a 'gesture of goodwill' we'll credit your account blah blah

I'm getting a bit fed up - they are still the best for me in the long run (excluding the pant service at home)

Any ideas ?
Page 1
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 26th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 26th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 9:30 PM
    I use Three Payg and the Three in Touch system (you aren't even aware it's working) is perfect. So for example at my local supermarket which is a Three not-spot, my phone auto joins their cloud wifi provided ironically by... O2 and gets virtual 3G.

Surely on a £60 contract you get a similar O2 service? O2's similar system is called 4G calling and is supported on iPhone 6s upwards, plus some modern Androids. It should connect invisibly to your wifi once enabled, no installation to do and handles seamless incoming calls, SMS etc.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 28th Sep 17, 12:05 AM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 28th Sep 17, 12:05 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 12:05 AM
    I use Three Payg and the Three in Touch system (you aren't even aware it's working) is perfect. So for example at my local supermarket which is a Three not-spot, my phone auto joins their cloud wifi provided ironically by... O2 and gets virtual 3G.

Surely on a £60 contract you get a similar O2 service? O2's similar system is called 4G calling and is supported on iPhone 6s upwards, plus some modern Androids. It should connect invisibly to your wifi once enabled, no installation to do and handles seamless incoming calls, SMS etc.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    You are mixing up several technologies.

4G calling coverts the voice call to data (VoLTE) to send it over the 4G network.
    WiFi calling uses different tech such as TuGo or can be built in

To answer the OPs question, you either need to put up or move network.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 28th Sep 17, 6:18 AM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:18 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:18 AM
    I was not trying to describe the technology in any detail so not sure what you're on about.

All I know is, Three In Touch does it for me, it does not require a separate app and my phone now takes & makes calls and texts in non-spots so long as I have wifi.

Again, regardless of the technology, I believe that O2s '4G calling' service offers identical functionality to its subscribers. It would be helpful if any O2 users could report if it works well for them.

All in all it doesn't look essential for OP to switch networks as the solution should be simple. I'm just surprised that O2's reps haven't suggested '4G calling' to him.
    • beebrook
    • By beebrook 28th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    beebrook
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 4:14 PM
    If you're living in an area with poor signal, get an O2 boost box. They're normally free if you complain: http://service.o2.co.uk/IQ/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,Kb=Companion,question=ref(User):str (Business),CASE=56136

It converts your broadband into mobile signal.
    Debt to date: £4731.75 - 97.2% left to go
    Debt upon joining (Sep'2017): £4,870 - Loans, Credit Cards & Nationwide Overdraft
    • sparky93
    • By sparky93 28th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    sparky93
    • 28th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 7:17 PM
    I was not trying to describe the technology in any detail so not sure what you're on about.

All I know is, Three In Touch does it for me, it does not require a separate app and my phone now takes & makes calls and texts in non-spots so long as I have wifi.
    Originally posted by buglawton
    what you have is not 3 in touch. what that is 3 wifi calling.

the intouch is a three app.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 29th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 4,270 Posts
    • 1,312 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 2:36 PM
    3 'In touch' usually works via Wi-Fi but sometimes also allows 4G calling too (on a limited range of handsets)

O2 4G calling still requires a working (4G) mast. Can you see the problem with this 'solution' if the OP is having issues with their mast?
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 29th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 1,298 Posts
    • 615 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 29th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 4:53 PM
    I have been with O2 on the same numb for 20 years and pay about £60 a month for my phone (moderate to high user)
    I'm getting a bit fed up - they are still the best for me in the long run (excluding the pant service at home)

Any ideas ?
    Originally posted by JW1975
    Move to a better value network! “high user” is meaningless, many contracts have unlimited mins and a lot of data. For example Three have 30GB and unlimited mins for £18 per month, or for £26 per month they include 100GB

Near my home Three has better coverage for basic voice calls than either O2 or Vodafone (compared with friends on those networks while drinking in local pubs...) which surprised me. You can check all four UK networks using the Rootmetrics app. Be aware that your coverage might vary from that reported by others, as in some cases it depends on what frequency bands your phone has.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 29th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 29th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 7:40 PM
    3 'In touch' usually works via Wi-Fi but sometimes also allows 4G calling too (on a limited range of handsets)

O2 4G calling still requires a working (4G) mast. Can you see the problem with this 'solution' if the OP is having issues with their mast?
    Originally posted by Heng Leng

'Three In Touch' is 3's name for calls/SMS over wifi
    '4G Calling' is O2's name

I've never heard of making 4G calls over wifi
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 29th Sep 17, 7:48 PM
    • 7,037 Posts
    • 3,288 Thanks
    buglawton
    Three seem to think that Three in Touch and Wifi Calling are synonymous:
    http://www.three.co.uk/discover/three_intouch
    • JW1975
    • By JW1975 2nd Oct 17, 11:25 AM
    • 34 Posts
    • 11 Thanks
    JW1975
    thank you everyone. EE is the better of all the networks here. I bought a pay and go to give it a dummy run and its worse than O2

O2 have the TU app but after 5 minutes the call clarity is pants.

Thank you 'beebrook'. Will defo look into this. The laugh now is that O2 say the mast is now fixed, up and ruining with a more powerful signal. I am looking at a screen of 'No Service!!'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,419Posts Today

4,613Users online

Martin's Twitter