Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • villieb
    • By villieb 26th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    • 34Posts
    • 11Thanks
    villieb
    Investment Advice
    • 26th Sep 17, 7:32 PM
    Investment Advice 26th Sep 17 at 7:32 PM
    Hello!

I am after some advice on two subjects. If I need to split this into two separate threads then I will.

When it comes to investing I really don't know where to start.... there's a wealth of information and i can't make sense of it... platform fees etc...

1) I am looking at investing into a fund, possibly the VLS, drip feeding about £200 a month into this fund, via a stocks and shares ISA platform. I don't know where to turn... Go directly to Vanguard / HL / other providers?

2) My mum has thousands of tesco shares from share incentive schemes and through dividends over the last few decades and i've been thinking of moving these into a stocks and shares ISA. I know that I have to sell the shares and re-buy them within a stocks and shares ISA. Can I re-invest dividends in a S&S isa? again - which platform would I head towards and how can I compare them all.

Apologies in advance if I haven't provided enough information....

Thanks for reading...
Page 2
    • wsneddon
    • By wsneddon 1st Oct 17, 9:05 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    wsneddon
    Invest in property - buy wisely - or find a property investor who has deals you can get into! That's what I do. Be in it for the long term, it works.
    • jimjames
    • By jimjames 1st Oct 17, 11:17 AM
    • 12,234 Posts
    • 10,760 Thanks
    jimjames
    Invest in property - buy wisely - or find a property investor who has deals you can get into! That's what I do. Be in it for the long term, it works.
    Originally posted by wsneddon
    Or invest in stock market - long term it has performed better and is far more flexible than buying a property. Definitely worth having property as part of the mix though
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
    • IanSt
    • By IanSt 2nd Oct 17, 9:53 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 104 Thanks
    IanSt
    Or invest in stock market - long term it has performed better and is far more flexible than buying a property. Definitely worth having property as part of the mix though
    Originally posted by jimjames
    In my view the stock market is the only sensible long term option for the majority of people. There are of course people who make money from property and will continue to make money from it - but in my opinion for most people the house you live in is enough property for their needs.
    Last edited by IanSt; 02-10-2017 at 9:56 AM.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 2nd Oct 17, 10:38 AM
    • 10,804 Posts
    • 7,098 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Originally posted by wsneddon
    But presumably not timeshares?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

42Posts Today

3,709Users online

Martin's Twitter