Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CyrusC
    • By CyrusC 26th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CyrusC
    [TalkTalk] - 5 months of problems + moving home
    • 26th Sep 17, 7:27 PM
    [TalkTalk] - 5 months of problems + moving home 26th Sep 17 at 7:27 PM
    Hi everyone,

I really need your advice on this matter because the last 5 months with TalkTalk it has been a pain. Basically, I was a Broadband client for 12 months and then I switch to Fiber 38Mbps for another 18 months. This was on December 2015. Comes May 2015 the my connection got extremely slow (0.7Mbps). You know the deal, calls, twitter direct messages. Sometimes they could solve the problem remotely, sometimes an Engineer had to come to my house. And I have been on this for over 5 months. I got 3 visits from a TalkTalk Engineer and the last visit, he replaced my router.

Now comes the joke. Before I could get 28-30Mbps. Two days after replacing the router I noticed my connection was slower. So I checked and I have now 7.2Mbps. Here we go again. I connect TalkTalk and the poor guy has the nerve to tell me that 7.2Mbps is acceptable for my situation. I asked him if he was joking with me and if he could then explain why before I had 30Mbps and now I am reduced to 7.2Mbps. Nothing he could, so he booked a Fault Manager call. Still waiting.

Now, my problem is that in 1 week I will be moving home and TalkTalk only gives me the option to do another contract (12months) paying more 5 pounds. I asked to cancel my contract because they aren't providing what I am paying for.

What can I do in this situation? Any advice?
Page 1
    • onomatopoeia99
    • By onomatopoeia99 26th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 3,433 Posts
    • 7,577 Thanks
    onomatopoeia99
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 8:49 PM
    Are you still in the minimum term at your current property?

If not, just start again at the new place with someone else. Preferably a competent ISP with good support. You can usually identify the good ones as they don't haggle over price like you're in an indian market, offer cashback credit cards or bundle TV channels.

If you are, for how long?
    INTP, nerd, libertarian and scifi geek.
    Home is where my books are.
    • CyrusC
    • By CyrusC 26th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyrusC
    • 26th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 9:48 PM
    I still have 8 months left of contract on TalkTalk. A friend of mine mentioned getting a "buy out contract" from another provider. Don't if such thing actually exists.

They want a 12 month contract for £35 - Up to 40Mbps. Meanwhile, I saw Vodafone getting me 72Mbps for £24. I really want to put pressure on them to cancel this contract. No way I am going to get stuck with TalkTalk for another 12 months.

Which ISP do you recommend based on your experience?

And thanks for the reply.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    <<I still have 8 months left of contract on TalkTalk >>

Pay them off is the simplest method .
    But you should have a minimum guaranteed speed in your T&C .That may enable you to cancel without penalty .
    • CyrusC
    • By CyrusC 27th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyrusC
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:52 AM
    I am seeing that as an option, however my contract/email says that the Minimum guaranteed speed is 34Mbps and not 7.2Mbps. What worries me, is saying yes to another contract with them and then have to spend another 5 months on the phone/twitter trying to solve another connection problem.

My guess is that they are capping my connection.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 27th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 27th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 12:53 PM
    <My guess is that they are capping my connection.>

Thats a poor guess.

If you move you will no longer be on the same connection. The cabling from the box to the house is usually the first problem area .
    • Timalay
    • By Timalay 27th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Timalay
    • 27th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 1:24 PM
    Are these speeds from a wired or wireless connection. If it's the later your drop in speed could be caused by channel interference. If so, log onto the router, and try channels 1, 6 or 11, and see that helps.
    • CyrusC
    • By CyrusC 27th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyrusC
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:15 PM
    Well, every day I tested my connection. I could see it dropping to 30, then 28, then 22 and then to 7.

Timalay I will try that. But TalkTalk remotely tested the connection and they confirmed the 7.2Mbps. Hopefully, I will get a call tomorrow to see how this ends.
    • Timalay
    • By Timalay 28th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 753 Posts
    • 376 Thanks
    Timalay
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 9:11 PM
    If you are just testing over wireless, try wired. It might help you find out if it's a wireless problem.
    • CyrusC
    • By CyrusC 28th Sep 17, 9:58 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyrusC
    I actually bought a cable to test a wired connection. The problem persists. Besides from time to time I get the red light saying no connection. Also, the 1pm call was more a 4pm call which unfortunately I wasn't able to take.
    • CyrusC
    • By CyrusC 29th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyrusC
    And now is at 2Mbps. Isn't this capping my connection?

They want me to pay £115. I am refusing that due the fact that for the last 5 months TalkTalk couldn't get me my minimum speed
    Last edited by CyrusC; 29-09-2017 at 9:56 PM.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 30th Sep 17, 9:59 AM
    • 9,747 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    You can argue your case but if they say no then be aware that refusal to pay just means they pass the debt to collectors and trash your credit reference for 6 years .
    • CyrusC
    • By CyrusC 6th Oct 17, 9:51 AM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CyrusC
    By miracle, my connection started to get better to a point where I had no other option then get a new contract with them. On in the other hand I got a good deal.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,321Posts Today

7,260Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin