Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 26th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 43Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    Clothes that shrink on 1st wash
    • 26th Sep 17, 4:23 PM
    Clothes that shrink on 1st wash 26th Sep 17 at 4:23 PM
    My husband is 6ft3 so always has to try everything on before purchasing.

He got 3 pairs Lacoste jogging bottoms from JD Sports which were not cheap at £50 per pair and when he tried them on were fine.

After the first wash 2 out of the 3 pairs had shrunk significantly in the wash and they no longer fit.

What are our rights in this situation. They have obviously been worn and washed according to label instructions but I wouldn't expect them to do this.

Thanks,
    Michelle
Page 1
    • pinkshoes
    • By pinkshoes 26th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 15,384 Posts
    • 20,991 Thanks
    pinkshoes
    • 26th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    I would take all three pairs back to the shop, and show them how two of the pairs have shrunk.

Take a photo of the size difference too!

I would be expecting the shop to replace or refund given they are clearly faulty.
    Should've = Should HAVE (not 'of')
    Would've = Would HAVE (not 'of')

No, I am not perfect, but yes I do judge people on their use of basic English language. If you didn't know the above, then learn it! (If English is your second language, then you are forgiven!)
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 26th Sep 17, 11:41 PM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 8,734 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:41 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:41 PM
    Are they by any chance cotton?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 26th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:42 PM
    83% cotton / 17% polyester
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 27th Sep 17, 1:19 AM
    • 11,597 Posts
    • 8,734 Thanks
    unholyangel
    • 27th Sep 17, 1:19 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 1:19 AM
    83% cotton / 17% polyester
    Originally posted by Phil&Michelle
    Hmm how much did it shrink? How did you dry it? Cotton has natural shrinkage that can occur over time but its also very prone to shrinkage on its first wash - particularly if heat is involved (afaik, agitation isn't as much of a problem with cotton as it is with other natural fibres) and may need to be stretched gently while wet. Although its more likely to happen in the drying process than washing.

If its just a few inches, its possibly natural shrinkage. If more then I'd ignore everything I've said and just go straight to the retailer.

I'm tall also and regularly have this issue with cotton items - particularly any kind of dress in cotton which might start out perfectly fine but ends up barely covering my backside!
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 27th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:46 AM
    I never tumble any of his clothes or put them on a radiator so they are just air dried and I always wash on 30/40 depending on instructions. The best clothes he has are from superdry, none of their stuff shrinks.
    • worried123
    • By worried123 1st Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    • 296 Posts
    • 100 Thanks
    worried123
    • 1st Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    Just to give my opinion whilst browsing. I am sure that if you washed them according to the instructions you would surely be entitled to a refund. I would not hesitate in taking them back to the store.

Good luck.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 1st Oct 17, 12:36 AM
    • 73 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    • 1st Oct 17, 12:36 AM
    • 1st Oct 17, 12:36 AM
    Thanks have written to CS and am awaiting a reply.
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 1st Oct 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1,328 Posts
    • 677 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:47 PM
    • 1st Oct 17, 9:47 PM
    Thanks have written to CS and am awaiting a reply.
    Originally posted by Phil&Michelle
    Superdry do sell “preshrunk” garments so it may be the case that the garments you’ve bought from them are preshrunk.

The ones you bought recently presumably aren’t.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 2nd Oct 17, 10:51 AM
    • 2,975 Posts
    • 1,482 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    Are you sure that your husband hasn't entered a pie eating contest on the quiet since buying them?
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • Phil&Michelle
    • By Phil&Michelle 2nd Oct 17, 1:38 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    Phil&Michelle
    Lol! He tells me it is the leg length that has shrunk and the waist is elasticated :-)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin