Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 26th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    • 8,629Posts
    • 20,867Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    National Home Security Month 2017: Ask your questions
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:10 PM
    National Home Security Month 2017: Ask your questions 26th Sep 17 at 1:10 PM

What's it about?

According to home security organisations burglaries increase as nights get darker. With this in mind this time each year is dedicated to National Home Security Month. The people behind it have agreed to help answer your questions throughout the month.

What to do

Do you have a burning question on how to keep your home safe and avoid an insurance claim?

Or do you just want to know the top tips, tricks and insider hacks?

If you haven’t already, join the forum then click reply to ask your question

The National Home Security Month team will aim to dip in and out of the Forum to answer your questions on this thread.

Related on MoneySavingExpert:

Cheap Home Insurance

Home Insurance Best Buys

Insurance Board
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 26-09-2017 at 1:14 PM.
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
  • National Home Security Month
    • 28th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 3:15 PM
    Hello from the National Home Security Month team!
    We're here to provide you will information on all things home security from product help, home hints and advice. Please post any questions or queries you have on the thread and we will endeavour to respond as soon as possible.
    Thanks!
    "Official Organisation Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the National Home Security. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE"
    • Cinders:
    • By Cinders: 28th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 797 Thanks
    Cinders:
    • 28th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 3:59 PM
    Hi, can you make any recommendations for reliable home security alarms?
    SPC # 115
    • beaker141
    • By beaker141 29th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 451 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    beaker141
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 12:51 PM
    External Lighting ?

Is there a proven view and recommendation on keeping the exterior of your property illuminated?

Does it prevent burglary (and why) or does it make it easier for them to see ?

Is it best to be permanently lit - or better on motion activated?

Front, back and side or just certain areas?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:01 PM
    Hi, can you make any recommendations for reliable home security alarms?
    Originally posted by Cinders:
    Hi, thank you for your message.

There is a range of home security alarms on the market from wireless devices to hard wired systems. While wireless devices tend to be more expensive, they are also easier to install and you don't have to hide cables throughout the house. Wireless devices can also move with you if you chose to move home in the future.

{Text removed by MSE Forum Team}
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-10-2017 at 12:23 PM.
    I am the official organisation representative of the National Home Security. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE"
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 2nd Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 7,438 Posts
    • 4,810 Thanks
    Biggles
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    An example of a reliable wireless kit is the Yale EF-series of alarms.
    If you'd like a smart alarm where you can control, configure, arm and disarm your device all from a smartphone, Yale's Smart Home alarm range is the one for you.
    Originally posted by National Home Security Month
    MSE Andrea, is the 'National Home Security Month' guide employed by Yale? If they aren't fully independent, we should have full clarity if they are going to start making recommendations.
    External Lighting ?

Is there a proven view and recommendation on keeping the exterior of your property illuminated?

Does it prevent burglary (and why) or does it make it easier for them to see ?

Is it best to be permanently lit - or better on motion activated?

Front, back and side or just certain areas?
    Originally posted by beaker141

Hi,
    A recent research study from the University of Loughborough found that exterior lighting has a direct effect on reducing the likelihood of you being burgled. When coupled with an effective alarm system and window locks, homes were nearly 3x more protected against burglary.

Exterior lights with motion detectors are most effective as they don't allow potential thieves to see into your property from the street but will light up once they approach your home, alerting you to an intruder.

The best place to install devices is where the main access point is, be it the side of your home, or front driveway etc. However, we recommend lighting be installed by all entry points to the home. Thanks.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 3rd Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 11:51 AM
    Hi Biggles, we're discussing this. Thanks!
    I'm on annual leave until Monday 6 November. If you have a question please go via our Site FAQs

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • Upsy Staffordshire
    • By Upsy Staffordshire 4th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 347 Posts
    • 3,744 Thanks
    Upsy Staffordshire
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    • 4th Oct 17, 10:48 AM
    We are looking at getting a front door for our new house when we move in. I've been trying to decide whether a PVCu, wooden or composite door would be best. I've heard that composite doors are the most secure - is this correct?

Thank you
    Thank you to everyone who posts on here
    We are looking at getting a front door for our new house when we move in. I've been trying to decide whether a PVCu, wooden or composite door would be best. I've heard that composite doors are the most secure - is this correct?

Thank you
    Originally posted by Upsy Staffordshire
    The choice of door material would not necessarily have a huge effect on the level of security, it will be the hardware that is fitted to the door that's important - i.e. the lock and handle.

When it comes to door locks, if you opt for a timber door, ensure these are secured with a mortice lock and/or nightlatch that meet British Standard BS3621. Now many insurance companies insist on a British Standard mortice lock to secure your property and some even offer a discount off the normal premium if your property has a higher degree of security, which can be achieved by installing a lock conforming to BS 3621.
    If you choose a PVC-u or composite door, upgrade the cylinder to a British Standard, TS007 Kitemarked model. Make sure this has anti-pick, anti-bump, anti-snap features. To improve the strength of a cylinder, you can also install a cylinder pull.

You can also consider fitting a door chain or limiter that restricts the door opening. If you opt for a door that has a letterplate, invest in a letterplate restrictor that conforms to TS008 standard to help prevent lock manipulation and key fishing attacks.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 10th Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 8,629 Posts
    • 20,867 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Keep your questions coming everyone

Join the MSE Forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,493Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin