Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • BoxingChamp
    • By BoxingChamp 26th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    BoxingChamp
    0 WOW
    Hurricane Compensation
    • 26th Sep 17, 12:58 PM
    0 WOW
    Hurricane Compensation 26th Sep 17 at 12:58 PM
    Hi All,

Me and my wife have recently returned to the UK from a trip to Dominican Republic where we were affected by the recent Hurricane Maria. We had to be moved to 2 different hotels during our stay, non of which where to our satisfaction. Appreciate things like this happen and the hotel staff did there best to accommodate us under the adverse situation but nonetheless, we did not receive what we had paid for. We even upgraded to a premium package for the extra perks which we never really got to use during the disruption. We ultimately did not get the last 4 days of our holiday due to the constant packing, unpacking and moving between hotels. Does anyone know if we could be entitled to any type of compensation due to our travel disruption. I made sure our travel insurance covered us for hurricane/travel disruption.

Do i take this matter up with our travel insurance? travel agent or the hotel itself?

A point i should raise is that we never incurred any additional charges.

Thank you in advance for your help
Page 1
    • bertiewhite
    • By bertiewhite 26th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 728 Posts
    • 768 Thanks
    bertiewhite
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:27 PM
    You booked to go to that part of the world during "Hurricane season", something that pretty much happens same time every year?
    • phatbear
    • By phatbear 26th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 3,128 Thanks
    phatbear
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:32 PM
    A hurricane is an act of god so ultimately hes to blame so maybe try suing him for compensation?
    Live each day like its your last because one day you'll be right
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 26th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 30,712 Posts
    • 18,359 Thanks
    getmore4less
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 1:40 PM
    How did you book?

if covered by package holiday regulations, have a read of those for the obligations of the package provider.
    • BoxingChamp
    • By BoxingChamp 2nd Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    BoxingChamp
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:50 PM
    @getmore4less thank you for the reply.

Spoke to my holiday provider who are offering a pro rata refund for the days we were affected.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 2nd Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 1,417 Posts
    • 826 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 3:29 PM
    A hurricane is an act of god so ultimately hes to blame so maybe try suing him for compensation?
    Originally posted by phatbear
    Billy Connolly did and won
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

72Posts Today

3,238Users online

Martin's Twitter