Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 26th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    • 4,406Posts
    • 8,164Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Losing the will to work!!
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:24 AM
    Losing the will to work!! 26th Sep 17 at 11:24 AM
    Has anyone else found this?

I have worked full time and part time during my career. I am presently working part time (very part time as they are removing responsibilities from me as I approach retirement). I have always found this particular job relatively stress free but the closer I get to my retirement date (31.12.17) the less interest I have in going into the office. It is almost as I if I have disengaged completely and just coasting. Luckily my boss has told me to take it easy and we are using this three month period for me to clear up projects, pass over and train people and just generally do very little. It does seem though the less busy I am the less I want to be here. Don't get me wrong, I am still covering my responsibilities to the best of my ability but am thoroughly bored and wanting to move on to the next phase of my life.

Is this common in the months leading up to retirement after you have given in your notice to retire early? I am 57.
    Countdown to early retirement on 21.12.17 3 months to go.
Page 3
    • Cat House
    • By Cat House 30th Sep 17, 6:48 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Cat House
    Very interesting thread, thank you! I have 4 weeks left to go of my 3.5 month notice period. I only needed to give a months notice, but a 4K carrot helped. Taking early retirement a week before my 58th birthday due to some health issues. Have been with the company 19 years. Loved my job to bits until the restructuring took over. Now I hate it and things have really, really dragged for the last 2 years. Now I have taken the plunge, time is surprisingly zooming by. Now spending all my time writing work instructions and training 6 people up on my job. I feel obligated to my colleagues, but not to my company. I think I will be working up to the last minute of leaving. I really cannot wait for it all to be over, but it has come much quicker than I thought it would. I am a WASPI woman. Have a bit of savings, a couple of ISA's, have transferred my FS pension, have a current DB pension and I am mortgage free. I am not rich by a long shot and will have to live fairly frugally, but I do really feel on top of the world right now.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 30th Sep 17, 8:25 PM
    • 7,375 Posts
    • 7,903 Thanks
    AnotherJoe

I don't think I ate anything!

I had an email from my manager before lunch advising that we had to discuss my performance appraisal and other equally pointless matters. I decided I was utterly sick of all this nonsense so I went for a walk to decide if quitting was a good idea or financially possible. I decided it was and returned to my desk to hand in my notice.

3 years later I haven't regretted it for a second.
    Originally posted by Wenlock
    Nice one, well done !
    • sarahemmm
    • By sarahemmm 2nd Oct 17, 10:21 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    sarahemmm
    Enjoyed reading this thread!

I am proposing to retire next year, when I will be 62. I shall continue to work "full time" until then, because why would I go to part time hours when I would still have the full time job to do?? But I have given myself considerable amusement by telling my colleagues that I intend to retire - whenever they do something stupid or don't take my advice, I can just say "Of course, that is no longer my concern..."

I do still go to the office 3 days/week (its a 150 mile commute) and work from home the other 2. In truth, the commute is one of the main reasons for wanting to go ASAP, as 17 years of getting up at dark o'clock to avoid the M25 car park has got very old.

I am fascinated by the number of people who have asked me what I will do when I retire. Well, you know, I used to have a life! So many things that I haven't had time for for years, so many things I'd like to try...
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 2nd Oct 17, 12:33 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    adonis10
    You're doing better than me; I am at least 30 years from retirement and am bored of the whole work for someone else malarkey!!

This is slightly tongue in cheek as I am neither lazy nor do I particularly dislike my job, rather that I am not passionate about it and tolerate it for the pay and pension!
    Last edited by adonis10; 02-10-2017 at 12:39 PM.
    • adonis10
    • By adonis10 2nd Oct 17, 12:38 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 179 Thanks
    adonis10

I don't think I ate anything!

I had an email from my manager before lunch advising that we had to discuss my performance appraisal and other equally pointless matters. I decided I was utterly sick of all this nonsense so I went for a walk to decide if quitting was a good idea or financially possible. I decided it was and returned to my desk to hand in my notice.

3 years later I haven't regretted it for a second.
    Originally posted by Wenlock
    I did something very similar with a previous role in accountancy (due to unreasonable workload and complexity of tasks given the stage of training I was at and, essentially, what was tantamount to workplace bullying from one of the 2 partners), albeit in a slightly different manner; straw that broke the camel's back came at around midday on a Wednesday, went for lunch hour at 1 which ended up with me walking along the beach (great place to clear one's head) for 2.5 hours and not returning until Friday afternoon with my notice in an envelope. Best career decision I have ever made.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 2nd Oct 17, 3:19 PM
    • 10,281 Posts
    • 6,599 Thanks
    bigadaj
    I did something very similar with a previous role in accountancy (due to unreasonable workload and complexity of tasks given the stage of training I was at and, essentially, what was tantamount to workplace bullying from one of the 2 partners), albeit in a slightly different manner; straw that broke the camel's back came at around midday on a Wednesday, went for lunch hour at 1 which ended up with me walking along the beach (great place to clear one's head) for 2.5 hours and not returning until Friday afternoon with my notice in an envelope. Best career decision I have ever made.
    Originally posted by adonis10
    It's very interesting how an office dynamic can be and also change.

Over the last few years I've worked for larger companies, they often treat their workers as drones and to be fair a lot of the workers expect that. You often get the situation where the only answer that comes back when asked why are you doing that is that what my manager told me to do, even when that task is either pointless, counter productive or occasionally dangerous.

When you have an interaction where the employee isn't an absolute wage slave, and the risk of job loss is tied up with mortgage payments, maintaining a lavish lifestyle, or even having basic needs for a family, then it often becomes easier for everyone. After initial surprise or shock then management may acknowledge that experienced staff have something to add, though often may not.

My three most recent jobs have ended when respectively I

1. handed my notice in after engaging with my two line managers and explaining what could be done to improve the work and environment, which was ignored, after their assurance that things would be addressed;

2. Refused to undertake and take on responsibilities that weren't safe and planned, in a very high risk project and industry, and was so processed through redundancy to the detriment of the project and with five months gardening leave;

3. Have tried to change processes in an environment which is losing huge amounts of money and now have the view that I'll do what is right and correct and will ignore and decline any aspect which isn't handled professionally. The losses were addressed by making moderate levels of redundancies and pricing work at levels which won't lead to any more work. Consequences are that many of those not made redundant have made their own decision and left, I'm currently looking and will see what comes up that is suitable and local unless they decide to shut the unit or make another swathe of reductions, though I think these would amount to the same thing.

A poster on these boards had a footer that stated that debt is the slavery of the masses and that seems very apt to me, I believe it was a Roman quote which just shows that things don't change.
    • Cat House
    • By Cat House 6th Oct 17, 9:55 PM
    • 46 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    Cat House
    I don't know if this is against the rules?

They do this on eBay.

An interesting thread disappearing needs to be bumped up back to the top xxx
    • Three Wheels on my Wagon
    • By Three Wheels on my Wagon 8th Oct 17, 6:22 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    Three Wheels on my Wagon
    Losing the will to work
    I lost in when I was 28 I'm 59 and it hasn't come back yet.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,428Posts Today

7,804Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Common question, but actually its pretty meaningless - the amount to govt is arbitrary - i explain why here...? https://t.co/W6NFlmztaV

• RT @avantiproperty: @MartinSLewis You've got too much time on your hands.

• Today's Twitter poll: Bit out of no where this one. If you wear a watch which wrist is it on...

• Follow Martin