Losing the will to work!!

Comments

• michaels wrote: »
    I feel that way, I think it is hanging around this board...oh and I have at least 8 years to go :(

Echo that indeed!!!
  • Like everyone else, I found myself becoming less and less enthusiastic about work in the last few months - apart from the days when I was asked to help out my previous team with a manager who was for more switched on than the manager I had at the end. This lacklustre management was a contributing reason for my early retirement - I would possibly not have gone so early if I hadn't been forced to switch teams.
  • k6chris
    k6chris Posts: 738 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    OldBeanz wrote: »
    Does anyone remember any retiree 2 months after they leave?

There is a scientific test you can do to judge how much your employeer will miss you once you have gone. Take a glass of tepid water (about 2/3 full), put your right index finger in and keep it still for about 5 seconds, then slowely pull it out. The size of the hole that is left is the measure of how much you will be remembered / missed :D.
    "For every complicated problem, there is always a simple, wrong answer"
  • I was working full-time from home for about 9-months before I moved to my part time contract - actually I never really felt disengaged as such but rather I just had more and more desire to do things on my terms. I suspect the more employers accept that people just don't want to be so closely controlled the more likely it is they will have happy and contented employees.
    Money won't buy you happiness....but I have never been in a situation where more money made things worse!
  • bigadaj
    bigadaj Posts: 11,531 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I was promised redundancy after having been ignored for a couple of years. The redundancy was not supported and it was either kicking off with resultant higher blood pressure or binning it. After putting in my resignation I was given work in an area which I had not worked in for 8 years where there had been 2 major changes of policy and they wanted me to update the documentation. 3 months of signed off stress sick leave put paid to their plans and my career. Not missed it for 1 second. With a good end, a third of my life still to live. Thank goodness I am not a WASPI whose members have all been ground into the dirt and who will not live long enough to see their pensions.

The WASPI's will be living for many decades, the fact they live so long is the main reason behind the equalization of the pensions ages.
  • Following a reorganisation 18 months ago I've got a much less stressful role and can pretty much cope with it standing on my head.
    I've got 3 yeas to go until NRA but I'm finding that am struggling for motivation and I'd like to be getting on with some things I want to do. I m hoping that they will make me an offer soon.
    If the work situation becomes stressful again I'm determined I won't let it have a detrimental effect on me and I reckon I'm pretty close to having enough in my SIPP to front run my DB pension to age 60.
    It feels good knowing that. In the meantime I'll sit tight for a bit longer and see what happens.
  • Triumph13
    Triumph13 Posts: 1,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    I'm 21 months out and can very much identify with all these sentiments. As someone who largely works from home I will share my personal coping strategy - a long, productive lunch hour.
    I find that if I take 1.5 to 2hrs over lunch and do something like work in the garden, cycle off to do the shopping, or get through a huge pile of ironing in front of a movie, then I feel SO much better than if I just potter along at my work. The need to condense my 'work work' into the remaining hours also results in a higher working tempo and more of a feeling of 'firing on all cylinders'. Plus the ironing gets done!
    May not work for other personality types, but it does it for me.
  • I have progressively reduced my days over the past two years to 3 days per week, one of which is from home and just about to reduce further, prior to planned retirement next spring. Operational responsibilities all handed over and providing advisory support only on a project of my choice. Are there days I wish I wasn't there, you bet, but I aim to balance my planned retirement income with reduced earned income for six months before I actually pull the plug. The days it gets more tedious are where the advice isn't acted upon, but hey ho that's their choice.
  • Ganga
    Ganga Posts: 4,149 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    I was promised redundancy after having been ignored for a couple of years. The redundancy was not supported and it was either kicking off with resultant higher blood pressure or binning it. After putting in my resignation I was given work in an area which I had not worked in for 8 years where there had been 2 major changes of policy and they wanted me to update the documentation. 3 months of signed off stress sick leave put paid to their plans and my career. Not missed it for 1 second. With a good end, a third of my life still to live. Thank goodness I am not a WASPI whose members have all been ground into the dirt and who will not live long enough to see their pensions.

I still get phone calls from my mates with whom i worked,have i had one from my ex employer? no way but i was only with them 8 years.
    When i talk to people who tell me they are valued members of the company that employs them i silently laugh,the truth is most of us are just numbers.:rotfl:
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
  • AnotherJoe
    AnotherJoe Posts: 19,622 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    A lot of those replies made me laugh so thanks for that.

I will be working from home a lot from now until retirement as I have told my boss I am not sitting around with nothing to do and he is fine with that. I also do a lot of internet surfing so that takes some time up and I have redone my retirement budget numerous times.

Came home early today and washed my car and planned my Macmillan coffee morning Friday so not a totally wasted day.

If you feel at a loose end, my wife's car is looking a bit dirty and i wouldn't mind a coffee whilst you are at it :D
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure