Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 26th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    • 28Posts
    • 2Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    Planning officer coming to "take photos"
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:09 AM
    Planning officer coming to "take photos" 26th Sep 17 at 11:09 AM
    Dear all,

I have put in a revised planning permission application for a single storey extension; 6 metres length from the boundary and 3.5metres width. The previous application was rejected because my architect messed up the drawing. Anyway I have received a voicemail from the planning officer who is dealing with the application and said she is coming by on Wed 27/09 to "take some photos". I'm failing to understand, why she would be doing this, the drawings are straightforward and descript.

I am also somewhat concerned that I have just built a BIG shed in the back garden in the shape of a trapezium (my garden narrows as you get to the end of it). It is 1.4m at the back, 9m long and 3.5m at the front where the door is. It has a flat felt roof with a slant to remove water with guttering. The roof height is less than 2.4m.

Can you guys please advise.

Thanks,

K
Page 1
    • LandyAndy
    • By LandyAndy 26th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 23,978 Posts
    • 50,728 Thanks
    LandyAndy
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    Well, you can't stop her coming and you can't do anything about the shed so best to let her get on with it and see what she has to say.

Why shouldn't she come and see in real life what is indicated on the plans?

When I submitted plans a couple of years ago a planning officer visited to check a few details and see the site in person. It didn't halt the permission.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 26th Sep 17, 11:13 AM
    • 24,040 Posts
    • 66,614 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    It's perfectly normal for a planning officer to come onto site. In fact, it's strange not to!

I presume you checked your permitted development rights when you built your shed?
    https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/43/outbuildings

If so, nothing to worry about!
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 26th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    It is quite normal for a planning officer to visit the site before issuing a decision - most local authorities have records of the photos on their case file to prove that they have seen the site and understand it to avoid any dispute about the drawing accuracy or other things not shown on the drawings being deemed accepted etc
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 26th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    @Doozergirl , yes I checked and it falls well within the guidelines. I was just concerned she might pick out some ridiculous detail. And she doesn't know when the shed was built, etc, so it shouldn't worry her. She's coming to look at the land on which the extension is to be built on, nothing else.
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 26th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:18 AM
    @LandyAndy and @the_r_sole , ok thanks guys, makes sense.
    • Eliza
    • By Eliza 26th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 1,282 Posts
    • 1,807 Thanks
    Eliza
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:34 AM
    The stat consultees (eg Parish Councils) also receive photos with the planning papers. We can't send in our comments without seeing them as we don't always know the properties that well. It's standard stuff.
    • Warwick Hunt
    • By Warwick Hunt 26th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 650 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Warwick Hunt
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:49 AM
    @Doozergirl , yes I checked and it falls well within the guidelines. I was just concerned she might pick out some ridiculous detail. And she doesn't know when the shed was built, etc, so it shouldn't worry her. She's coming to look at the land on which the extension is to be built on, nothing else.
    Originally posted by arsenalfan1234
    Well as long as your sheds isn't within a metre of the boundary and the land the house sits on is big enough for the shed and extension there shouldn't be a problem.
    • EachPenny
    • By EachPenny 26th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 6,000 Thanks
    EachPenny
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:59 AM
    @Doozergirl , yes I checked and it falls well within the guidelines. I was just concerned she might pick out some ridiculous detail.
    If you had permitted development rights then there is no 'ridiculous detail' for them to pick out. If they do pick out a 'ridiculous detail' then it means you didn't have PD rights.

Did you check that PD actually applies to your property? The thing which normally catches people out is the height restriction. If the roof is all below 2.4m then you should be ok in that respect, but by the sound of it you won't have 2m clearance from all the boundaries so the maximum height of any part of the building must be below 2.5m. Bear in mind there is a specific way of measuring the height, you don't get to choose the method you prefer. So if the 2.4m is really 2.5m then you need to beware.

And she doesn't know when the shed was built, etc, so it shouldn't worry her. She's coming to look at the land on which the extension is to be built on, nothing else.
    That is irrelevant though. In cases like yours the planning officer will look at the whole of the development site, not just the bit you are asking about. When the shed was built is also unimportant in relation to the extension application, but if it looks relatively new then the planning officer will know roughly when... they aren't stupid and have evidence sources in the office they can use to give a fairly accurate date of construction.

One of the aims of planning law is to prevent overdevelopment of residential property and changing the character of dwellings. So one of the PD restrictions for outbuildings is on the percentage area of the 'original' land you can cover.

That's where your situation might get complicated. Because you appear to need planning consent for the extension rather than being able to do it under PD, it means the area of 'original land' covered by the shed might become a material consideration.

Therefore it is possible that the planning officer could consider the combination of a large shed and a large extension to be overdevelopment of the plot. It all depends on how big your 'original land' actually is, the opinion of the planning officer, and any comments/objections from the neighbours.

The best way of dealing with the site visit is to avoid - at all costs - giving any indication you feel anything is not the planning officer's business. They know the subject much better than you, so the best way of handling them is to be 'all ears' and interested in everything they have to say.

Also, if overdevelopment is likely to be an issue then your best strategy (if you want the extension) is to offer to reduce the size of the shed. So if the planning officer mentions anything about the size of the shed and the remaining garden then don't react angrily, but instead ask how any concerns could be addressed. If you go on the defensive (which is the impression your posts give already) then you just make the whole process harder for yourself.
    "In the future, everyone will be rich for 15 minutes"
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 26th Sep 17, 12:21 PM
    • 13,239 Posts
    • 17,453 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I had a visit from a planning officer when I applied for planning permission. He arrived unannounced and I would probably never have known had I not decided to take the day off work that day.

As others have said, his interest wasn't just confined to the areas I wanted to build on. He took measurements and photographs of the whole site including existing outbuildings. He then went next door on both sides and took photos from there too.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 26th Sep 17, 12:41 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    https://ibb.co/ioXHKQ

This quick mock up image may help
    • missile
    • By missile 26th Sep 17, 1:06 PM
    • 9,020 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    missile
    I think you may have a problem.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 26th Sep 17, 1:09 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    @missile elaborate please...
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 26th Sep 17, 1:15 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    I think if overdevelopment is an issue, I will reduce the size of the extension of 6m out to 4m.
    • the_r_sole
    • By the_r_sole 26th Sep 17, 1:23 PM
    • 2,332 Posts
    • 1,172 Thanks
    the_r_sole
    OP's extension is going for planning permission, it is not having to meet the criteria for permitted development, the planner will judge it on what's on the ground and against local policy rather than strict tickboxes.
    Op, worry about it after the planner has been and picked something specific up, until then plead ignorance!!
    • arsenalfan1234
    • By arsenalfan1234 26th Sep 17, 1:26 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    arsenalfan1234
    @the_r_sole thank you sir.

And yes it is going for planning permission not PD. I have sufficient remaining space left after all the builds anyway.
    Last edited by arsenalfan1234; 26-09-2017 at 1:28 PM. Reason: Edit
    • missile
    • By missile 28th Sep 17, 6:07 PM
    • 9,020 Posts
    • 4,387 Thanks
    missile
    What did she say ?
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • TighterThanTwoCoatsOfPain
    • By TighterThanTwoCoatsOfPain 7th Oct 17, 4:25 PM
    • 842 Posts
    • 440 Thanks
    TighterThanTwoCoatsOfPain
    +1?????? And another ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

373Posts Today

1,928Users online

Martin's Twitter