Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 26th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    • 697Posts
    • 554Thanks
    UKParliament
    Have your say on rent as evidence that people can meet mortgage repayments
    • 26th Sep 17, 9:23 AM
    Have your say on rent as evidence that people can meet mortgage repayments 26th Sep 17 at 9:23 AM
    Do you think lenders should use rent payments as evidence that people can meet mortgage repayments?

MPs want to hear your views on a petition calling for paying rent to be enough proof that people are able to meet mortgage repayments. The petition reads:

ďMake paying rent enough proof that you are able meet mortgage repayments

Since living on my own I have paid £70,000+ in rent on time yet still struggle to get a mortgage. Unless youíre getting handouts, wealthy or in receipt of inheritance it's almost impossible. I want paying rent on time to be recognized as evidence that mortgage re-payments can be met.Ē

In particular, the Petitions Committee want to hear your views on:
    • Do you agree with the petition? Why/ why not?
    • What other things do you think mortgage lenders should take into account when assessing eligibility?
    • How much do you think the UK Government and Parliament should interfere with the eligibility criteria mortgage lenders use? Is this a decision that should be made by banks and building societies? Or should the Government and Parliament play a role?

Contributions posted on this thread before 18 October will be summarised and shared with MPs taking part in a debate on this petition.

Watch the debate from 4.30pm on Monday 23 October 2017 on Parliament TV.

Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Page 2
    • NineDeuce
    • By NineDeuce 10th Oct 17, 9:54 AM
    • 526 Posts
    • 468 Thanks
    NineDeuce
    All fine and well if house prices are rising, but if theres a fall?
    Originally posted by glosoli
    Any falls will not represent massive differences to many people trying to get on the housing market. Certainly nobody is going to be as lucky as previous generations...
    • UKParliament
      Verified User verified user
    • By UKParliament Verified User verified user 19th Oct 17, 9:36 AM
    • 697 Posts
    • 554 Thanks
    UKParliament
    Thank you to everyone who has shared their thoughts in this thread. All your comments have been shared with the Committee ahead of the debate.

Don't forget you can watch the debate from 4.30pm on Monday 23 October 2017 on Parliament TV.

Official Organisation Representative
    Iím the official organisation rep for the House of Commons. I do not work for or represent the government. I am politically impartial and cannot comment on government policy. Find out more in DOT's Mission Statement.

MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,607Posts Today

8,795Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @mmhpi: REPORT PUBLISHED: We reveal how #regulators of essential services can level the playing field & better support consumers with #m?

• RT @mmhpi: "I have massive #anxiety about talking to strangers on the phone" - Regulators must improve the accessibility of essential serv?

• RT @itvMLshow: I know you may be sad that we have no more shows this year BUT you wont have to wait too long for our next LIVE SPECIAL whic?

• Follow Martin