Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ukwmo
    • By ukwmo 25th Sep 17, 10:08 PM
    • 52Posts
    • 89Thanks
    ukwmo
    How to clean a duck down quilt ?
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:08 PM
    How to clean a duck down quilt ? 25th Sep 17 at 10:08 PM
    Getting a bit colder overnight, weíre in Scotland so maybe a bit chillier than down south. Weíve got a duck down quilt for the Winter, 15 tog, really posh and cost a small fortune. Itís only about 7 or 8 years old, well made.

But itís had itís share of accidents. Tea and coffee stains mainly. Looks bloody awful if Iím being honest. Iíve asked friends what they do when their quilts need washed. Consensus is they arenít ... theyíre replaced instead, simply thrown out.

Seems such a waste to throw it out for the sake of a few stains. Plus itíd cost 3 figures to replace, 3 figures we canít justify or afford now, to be honest.

Whatís the best way to clean it ? Any ideas ?

Thanks so much in advance.
Page 2
    • Helebore
    • By Helebore 3rd Oct 17, 10:37 PM
    • 31 Posts
    • 241 Thanks
    Helebore
    The launderette I use does wash quilts. They keep them for a week, wash them, put in drier for a while then hang them up for a time. Oh and by the way, a dry cleaner would do the same, they would not use any chemicals so you would not have to worry about inhaling them.
    • patchwork cat
    • By patchwork cat 4th Oct 17, 4:40 PM
    • 5,652 Posts
    • 8,743 Thanks
    patchwork cat
    I put our king size feather and down duvet in our 9 kg machine and our down pillows are washed regularly too. Then just tumble dry.

• Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 4,909 Thanks
    Biggles
    As a slight aside.
    We inherited some really old feather pillows from MiL which were seriously minging. I tried to wash them in the washing machine, only to find that the featheproof ticking was also somewhat airtight and had formed a kind of balloon in the drum which was forcing the suds back out through the dispenser.
    Originally posted by AlisonW
    Yes, I've had that sometimes with pillows and duvets. There's so much bulk, but most of what comes back out appears just to be foam off the top of the drum and there's always enough water inside to do the job. It still works a treat and much cheaper than a launderette.
    • queengoth
    • By queengoth 5th Oct 17, 2:56 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    queengoth
    I had a similar problem on the cat front, Not for the faint hearted but I ran two lines of stitching down the middle then cut it in two and added Velcro, there were a lot of feathers but I now have a duvet I can fit in the washer.
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
    • wort
    • By wort 5th Oct 17, 3:30 PM
    • 452 Posts
    • 7,194 Thanks
    wort
    I have a king size duck feather and down quilt, I wash In my 6 kg washer, and dry on the line as I don't have a tumble dryer , it's then brought in and aired over the bannister rail.
    Focus on contribution instead of the impressiveness of consumption to see the true beauty in people.
    • Biggles
    • By Biggles 5th Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 7,516 Posts
    • 4,909 Thanks
    Biggles
    I had a similar problem on the cat front, Not for the faint hearted but I ran two lines of stitching down the middle then cut it in two and added Velcro
    Originally posted by queengoth
    Good grief, I see what you mean by 'not for the fainthearted'. I bet it catches fewer mice and birds these days.
    • AlisonW
    • By AlisonW 5th Oct 17, 10:09 PM
    • 634 Posts
    • 395 Thanks
    AlisonW
    I had a similar problem on the cat front, Not for the faint hearted but I ran two lines of stitching down the middle then cut it in two and added Velcro, there were a lot of feathers but I now have a duvet I can fit in the washer.
    Originally posted by queengoth
    Poor puss.
    • queengoth
    • By queengoth 6th Oct 17, 1:29 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 277 Thanks
    queengoth
    Argh ! I stitched the duvet, said cat is fine and snoring beside me as I type lol
    Shady pines ma, shady pines
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,227Posts Today

5,540Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin