Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    • 23,345Posts
    • 40,898Thanks
    ZTD
    And now the fuse is lit...
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:40 PM
    And now the fuse is lit... 25th Sep 17 at 6:40 PM
    Well...

I have a house. And a mortgage. Took years and cost a fortune, as Batman said once.

Don't talk to me about surveys (though this one at "so so" was better than many). Or surveyors (I wouldn't use this one again - seemed scared of ladders). Or vendors (though this one was great). Or estate agents (this one was truly dreadful). Or solicitors (though this one was great).

I don't suppose this diary is going to be much about finances or mortgages, because let's face it, apart from a little kerfuffle once a month (when I get paid) nothing much seems to happen. It'll probably just being rude about things, and encouraging others to be rude too...

Welcome aboard the mortgage diary. Hopefully it will be an express elevator to hell - going down!

Twenty five years seems a long time otherwise...
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "We were born and raised in a summer haze." Adele 'Someone like you.'
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Page 14
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Dec 17, 1:07 PM
    • 28,174 Posts
    • 155,213 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Thats a brilliant riff, Z
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Dec 17, 9:54 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    So...this is the first time I've moved in almost exactly 10 years...and I'm already sick of it...

I don't know how those people who move every couple of years do it.
    "Follow the money!" - Deepthroat (AKA William Mark Felt Sr - Associate Director of the FBI)
    "Blowing your mind, 'cause you know what you'll find, when you're looking for things in the sky."
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 4th Dec 17, 10:00 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,848 Thanks
    beanielou
    So...this is the first time I've moved in almost exactly 10 years...and I'm already sick of it...

I don't know how those people who move every couple of years do it.
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Neither do I.
    Been in my wee hoose nearly 30 years
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 4th Dec 17, 10:04 PM
    • 28,174 Posts
    • 155,213 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Me too. But you've done it now, it's a question now of being as economical as you can with your energy (and your money!) and still get to live the way you want. This is your long term home, yes? It's worth doing properly, but if that means *immediately* lifting up the floorboards ... maybe wait till summer? And do stuff in other rooms first ...

Which bit is it that you're sick of, Z?
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 4th Dec 17, 11:37 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    Me too. But you've done it now, it's a question now of being as economical as you can with your energy (and your money!) and still get to live the way you want. This is your long term home, yes?
    Originally posted by Karmacat
    It will be. If it's not, it'll certainly be the base where I scout out a retirement pad.

It's worth doing properly, but if that means *immediately* lifting up the floorboards ... maybe wait till summer? And do stuff in other rooms first ...
    I do have priorities. One of the advantages of being a student, is that I'm not hugely bothered about how I live. So, for example, I've slept on a mattress on the floor for the past couple of months, as a bed as such is a lesser priority than say windows cills and curtain rails.

Which bit is it that you're sick of, Z?
    The dependencies of things on each other, so that I have a load of books which I can't get out until I've reconstructed shelves. But I also have computer gear which I can't get out of boxes until I've re-constructed the desk. I also have a load of paperwork in boxes, which I can't get out until I've done the filing cabinets/drawers. But they all dance around each other, so I have to do them all, before filling them. And there's only one of me. My parents have been a great help, but for many jobs, I need to be there, and I work full time.

Added to that, my landlord has taken to just wandering into my other house now that I've given notice (and he obviously feels he has nothing to lose), leaving the lights on and heating going full blast. So, I've had to change priorities (again) and I have to fly by there every night, turn things off, and retrieve those items I was going to leave until I had things sorted here to take them. Such as my financial documentation (filing), and other electronic gubbins (computer stuff).

That's an extra 40 minutes per evening. Ho hum...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • qwert yuiop
    • By qwert yuiop 5th Dec 17, 12:59 AM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 1,247 Thanks
    qwert yuiop
    Had a small unscheduled departure from the road tonight. A combination of fog and a greasy road. Doesn't really work braking for a corner if your brakes are just going to make farty noises at you and not slow you down...

Didn't miss the corner by much, and the soft verge travelling wasn't too bad because my car has reasonable ground clearance and I was going slow (because it was foggy ) but even so, something I could do without...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Well lucky you’d bought that mattress then. Did you tie it to your front bumper?
    • Butti
    • By Butti 5th Dec 17, 8:38 AM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 11,993 Thanks
    Butti
    Landlords. ....we used to have a dreadful one in Oxford. He didn't even try to get his head around the principle of quiet enjoyment.
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 5th Dec 17, 9:12 AM
    • 28,174 Posts
    • 155,213 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Landlords. ....we used to have a dreadful one in Oxford. He didn't even try to get his head around the principle of quiet enjoyment.
    Originally posted by Butti
    Absolutely! That's *dreadful* behaviour by the landlord

I feel for you with the dancing around stuff, Z. I'm currently doing that at my house still, because of the acoustic insulation going into all the alcoves. Alcoves hold things like bookcases, wardrobes, desks ... the amount of **stuff** is horrendous. In about 20 minutes, I'm off to buy some white paint, hopefully I'll have done them all this week, and I'll be able to get my storage operational again.
    Retired August 2016
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 10:36 AM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,848 Thanks
    beanielou
    Eek to the landlord.
    That is not on.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Dec 17, 8:03 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well lucky you’d bought that mattress then. Did you tie it to your front bumper?
    Originally posted by qwert yuiop
    That was weeks ago...

Why would I have needed to tie anything? I didn't hit anything, just travelled along a soft verge for a while. It's more the general principle of the thing, brakes are there to stop you, not to just make farty noises and do nothing else. My previous car, you could lock the wheels by pumping the brakes, but this one is too clever/stupid to fall for that.

I'm going to have to remember to turn off ABS in the snow...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Dec 17, 8:04 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    Well I went back tonight, and the heating has failed...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 5th Dec 17, 8:18 PM
    • 48,999 Posts
    • 181,848 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well I went back tonight, and the heating has failed...
    Originally posted by ZTD
    Just as well you have moved out then
    When is your lease up then?

• ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Dec 17, 8:22 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    Just as well you have moved out then
    When is your lease up then?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    New Year's day...

Needless to say, I'll be doing everything before then.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Dec 17, 9:42 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    So...things I have learned tonight...
    1. One bookcase = about 8 boxes of books
    2. Somehow you can mislay volumes 7-12 of an Enyclopedia Britannica - despite it weighing about the same as a chubby child
    3. Boxes vs books = a win for books and plastic shrapnel
    4. I have a very wide taste in reading material, but most of it is non-fiction
    5. I have a lot of old books which are way out of this time. Logarithmic tables to 4 decimal places anyone?

So, what now?

I was reminded of a bit of dialogue in the Matrix which might have been said if it had been a completely different kind of film.
    • Tank: So what do you need? Besides a miracle.
    • Neo: Bookcases. Lots of bookcases.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Butti
    • By Butti 5th Dec 17, 9:55 PM
    • 4,539 Posts
    • 11,993 Thanks
    Butti
    You sound like you need a clear out but logarithmic tables ......may be handy for insomnia?
    Debt LBM (08/09) £11,641. (08/12) £22,734. (10/14) £9127 (2/15N )£7790
    Diary 'Butti's journey : A matter of loaf or death'.
    'one day I will be rich and famous…for now I'll just have to settle for being poor and incredibly sexy'. Vimrod Member of MIKE'S MOB NSD June 2/7
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 5th Dec 17, 10:20 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    You sound like you need a clear out but logarithmic tables ......may be handy for insomnia?
    I like the old books. It shows how things were different:

"The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there"
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Dec 17, 9:53 AM
    • 28,174 Posts
    • 155,213 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Books! I can't tell you the number of times I've decluttered books (starting in my 20s when I moved in with my boyfriend and decluttered the books in my flat before I rented it out). The thing with books, is that old books smell. They all get dusty, old or new. And dust collects *around* them. They take up the space you've bought. And mine eventually became "unseen", just pieces of furniture that didn't contribute anything to my life ... but they can only go when *you* want them to go. And it sounds like you want them to stay

Good luck with sorting it all out.
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Dec 17, 11:32 AM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    Books! I can't tell you the number of times I've decluttered books (starting in my 20s when I moved in with my boyfriend and decluttered the books in my flat before I rented it out). The thing with books, is that old books smell. They all get dusty, old or new. And dust collects *around* them.
    Mr Vacuum-Cleaner will sort that out. I will ensure good access as I always do. Though with IKEA not making those shelves any more, it may be that I should get glass fronted ones.

They take up the space you've bought.
    They do, but ultimately what would I use that space for instead? I'm not an aesthetist for whom empty space is a pleasure to behold.

And mine eventually became "unseen", just pieces of furniture that didn't contribute anything to my life ...
    That's the difference though, these books are mostly non-fiction and so retain their use. I've already pulled out some of my University text books. The amount of times I've said "I know where that is, that's in book X. And I have no idea which box book X is..." is unreal.

but they can only go when *you* want them to go. And it sounds like you want them to stay

Good luck with sorting it all out.
    It should be easy enough - they're being sorted by depth, so J K Rowling is next to Nassim Nicholas Taleb is next to Ken Stroud. I might make a few shuffles as I get more out, but ultimately I will rely on my brain to index them.
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 6th Dec 17, 11:42 AM
    • 28,174 Posts
    • 155,213 Thanks
    Karmacat
    Then that's lovely! Your house, and your books, are going to be exactly the way you want them. I *do* recommend glass frontedness, but thats it
    Retired August 2016
    • ZTD
    • By ZTD 6th Dec 17, 7:21 PM
    • 23,345 Posts
    • 40,898 Thanks
    ZTD
    Then that's lovely! Your house, and your books, are going to be exactly the way you want them. I *do* recommend glass frontedness, but thats it
    Well I've looked at the IKEA glass fronted ones. They sell either a narrowish unit, or a wider unit that's 2 1/2 times the width at over 3 times the price...

Obviously that's more for the mathematically-challenged audience than I am.

In brighter news, I found the missing encyclopaedia volumes.

In less bright news, I have to go shopping...
    OMD 'Julia's Song'
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

225Posts Today

1,522Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin