Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • travelmonster
    • By travelmonster 25th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    • 112Posts
    • 3Thanks
    travelmonster
    engine noises in audi
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:57 PM
    engine noises in audi 25th Sep 17 at 5:57 PM
    have a 1.6 Audi A3 . there are a number of issues .

1) coolant level keeps dropping. I got it pressured check. so I was advised to get the pump changed as it had a possible leak. which means I need to get the timing belt and pump changed.

2) he also noticed the engine was loud, which isn't smooth for petrol 1.6 . he said the timing belt might correct this. or it could be the alternator. but won't know until he takes it apart when he fits timing belt Nd pump he will inform if that's needs replacing too.

3) Also I've noticed the car judders on gear 1 and 2 when changing gears. could all this be related?

I don't know much cars so I don't want to get ripped off by the garage. hence why I want some opinions as to possible causes so I have some knoweldge before I go back to the garage.

it's an Audi a3 , 1.6 petrol. 75k on clock. 58 plate
Page 1
    • Ebe Scrooge
    • By Ebe Scrooge 25th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 3,928 Posts
    • 3,323 Thanks
    Ebe Scrooge
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 6:47 PM
    Hmm, there are a number of questions here.

Firstly, who "advised" you to get the water pump changed ? If it was the likes of Halfords or KwikFit, I'd be wary. However, if it was a "proper" mechanic then it's probably a safe bet - water pumps can and do go, leading to water leaks. It's not the only reason for a leak, of course - but any decent mechanic should be able to isolate the problem. Having said that, a decent mechanic won't have made reference to a "possible" leak - he'll have found the leak and told you ( I have a story about just such a thing, if anyone's remotely interested LOL ! )

Secondly - if you're having the water pump changed, then yes, it makes eminent sense to change the cambelt at the same time. Both of these jobs involve a large amount of labour, and involve dismantling the same bit of the engine, whilst the cost of parts is minimal. If you're changing one, it would be false economy not to change the other.

2. A dodgy alternator wouldn't usually make the engine "loud". What do you mean by "loud" ? A blown exhaust would make it loud.

3. Juddering - could be any one of a number of things. Could be the clutch on it's way out = expensive. Could be ( depending upon if it's cable-operated or hydraulic ), a worn cable or needs bleeding or hydraulic fluid renewing - all cheap. Could be fuel filter needs replacing ( struggling at low speeds ). Could be something else.

Really, for stuff like this, you do need to get friendly with a mechanic you trust. I know it's not always easy - maybe I've been lucky, living in small village locations where any tradesman can't afford to rip people off. But the usual advice applies - ask friends & neighbours, local Facebook page, etc., for recommendations. There are a lot of cowboys out there, but there are also an awful lot of highly-skilled professionals who will do a great job at a reasonable price :-)
    I may not know much about art, but I know what I like.
    • travelmonster
    • By travelmonster 25th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    travelmonster
    • 25th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 7:05 PM
    cheers for that mate. I appreciate you taking the time to share some of your knoweldge

yes I have noticed on lower gears the car struggles to pick up speed and judders.

as to the loud engine. it was the mechanics assistant who said that's not smooth for a petrol... might need to change the alternator when I asked what it could be... it sounds loud almost like a Diesal engine.

the mechanics assistant didn't really find the leak. All he did was a pressure check. then pointed out where he saw signs of coolant leaks. he then put it down to the pump.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 25th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:09 PM
    How regularly does it get serviced and does it get a proper service, i.e more than just an oil and filter change? The poor performance can be caused by lack of servicing.
    • Chimpofdoom
    • By Chimpofdoom 28th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 783 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    Chimpofdoom
    • 28th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    • 28th Sep 17, 10:40 AM
    How regularly does it get serviced and does it get a proper service, i.e more than just an oil and filter change? The poor performance can be caused by lack of servicing.
    Originally posted by Tarambor
    Judging from another thread by the OP, not very often..

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73082706#post73082706

and hasn't owned it for very long either

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5694253

OP - at this point I'd fork out the £60 and book a fixed price investigation by Audi themselves, you don't need to have it repaired there.

Audi fixed price service
    To the internet.. I need to complain about something!
    • cypher007
    • By cypher007 28th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    cypher007
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 6:55 PM
    also ask on maybe mk4 golf forum if anyone near you has a VCDS cable and see if they will read the codes. they might do it for beer money.

judder sounds like maybe dual mass flywheel, which could cause noise, or maybe coil packs fading.
    • roneik
    • By roneik 29th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    roneik
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:15 PM
    Dirty mass air flow sensor could make car idle badly and also give shabby performance. the code would probably be bank one too lean. The same could be said for vacuam leak that would cause the ecu to send more fuel to compensate for too much unmetered air . Intake manifold gasket leaking could do the same. If it is running with unmetered air then eventually it could damage the cat converter. You would probably be getting bad fuel consumption too . .
    Last edited by roneik; 29-09-2017 at 9:17 PM. Reason: typo
    • roneik
    • By roneik 29th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    roneik
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:22 PM
    Coil pack fading usually you get hesitation at acceleration. Could get judder as well,. as mentioned
    • Marktheshark
    • By Marktheshark 29th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 5,687 Posts
    • 7,132 Thanks
    Marktheshark
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    • 29th Sep 17, 9:29 PM
    I would find a garage with a emission tester and get them to do a sniff test on the expansion bottle.
    Any HG failure and the hydo carbons will be off scale soon !!! the probe is held over the tank.
    A pressure test wont pick up a drawing head gasket as you dont have the engine running.
    Before spending and with this juddering issue, the HG needs complete elimination by sniff test.
    It does suggest a drawing of water from a failing HG.
    Brexit will become whatever they invent it to be.
    • travelmonster
    • By travelmonster 3rd Oct 17, 7:54 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    travelmonster
    What's the cost of that ? for the test
    • travelmonster
    • By travelmonster 3rd Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    travelmonster
    Dirty mass air flow sensor could make car idle badly and also give shabby performance. the code would probably be bank one too lean. The same could be said for vacuam leak that would cause the ecu to send more fuel to compensate for too much unmetered air . Intake manifold gasket leaking could do the same. If it is running with unmetered air then eventually it could damage the cat converter. You would probably be getting bad fuel consumption too . .
    Originally posted by roneik

I noticed that too. it drinks too much fuel
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 3rd Oct 17, 10:26 PM
    • 1,330 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    Tarambor
    On my workmate's A3 it was an injector that had failed and was basically pouring fuel into the engine. It had had two of the other injectors previously changed.
    • travelmonster
    • By travelmonster 4th Oct 17, 11:05 AM
    • 112 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    travelmonster
    hmm I think it might be worth looking into that
    • roneik
    • By roneik 4th Oct 17, 6:07 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    roneik
    car would hesitate, as you pull away in lower gears and more than likely be more settled at higher speeds if one coil pack was failing .. . The engine management unit wont activate an engine warning..
    light until it has to compensate with 20% extra fuel in the case of mass air flow sensor being dirty or faulty. You would get high. fuel use and poor tick over plus shabby acceleration. a leaky intake manifold gasket or vacuum hose leak can both alter both performance tick over, acceleration and fuel consumption; A code reader would see mass sensor bad as P 101lean bank one. and misfire cylinder whatever number in the case of coil pack down . .
    In the case of mass air flow sensor as said before it wont throw a code until 20% extra fuel from ecu adjusting to. Compensate.It needs to maintain 14% air to fuel ratio
    Last edited by roneik; 04-10-2017 at 6:23 PM.
    • roneik
    • By roneik 4th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    roneik
    Ps I am used to BMW and ford engines , but usually what I have said above applies. I could not remember all of that code number but its defo P and end number 101
    • roneik
    • By roneik 4th Oct 17, 6:34 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 43 Thanks
    roneik
    If you have RAC home start they would probably do the sniff test for free . They carry the tester. The sniffer changes colour if positive. With all the head gaskets I have laid hands on most. overheating car also dirty expansion tank fluid. Also sometimes signs of water in the oil on dipstick
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,105Posts Today

6,864Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin