Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eagle
    • By eagle 25th Sep 17, 3:11 PM
    • 582Posts
    • 57Thanks
    eagle
    Barclaycard Platinum Travel CC
    • 25th Sep 17, 3:11 PM
    Barclaycard Platinum Travel CC 25th Sep 17 at 3:11 PM
    Recently got one of these and have ditched Halifax Clarity.

Am I right in thinking I can withdraw cash on the Barclaycard (until the introductory period ends in 2022) and be charged tiny amounts of interest as per the Clarity Card?

I thought I saw this somewhere but can't for the life of me see it anywhere.
Page 1
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 25th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    • 25th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 3:58 PM
    Barclaycard Travel Card is different than the Clarity card in that it charges zero interest for foreign cash withdraws, so long as you pay your balance off in full.

So you don't need to worry about making a bank transfer ASAP to clear the cash balance.
    • eagle
    • By eagle 25th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 582 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    eagle
    • 25th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    Wow, this is very good news. Thanks for this.
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 25th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 2,967 Posts
    • 1,306 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:16 PM
    Why ditch Clarity when you can carry it as backup in case for some reason there's a problem with the Barclaycard or it's lost or stolen..?
    • dresdendave
    • By dresdendave 25th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 672 Posts
    • 789 Thanks
    dresdendave
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:24 PM
    Wow, this is very good news. Thanks for this.
    Originally posted by eagle

On a typical family holiday this could literally save you pennies..... or possibly a whole pound!
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 25th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:01 PM
    Make certain you avoid DCC. It could be very costly.

Also watch out for the cash limit - on mine the cash limit was under a third of the credit limit!
    • Shampton
    • By Shampton 27th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shampton
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 9:35 AM
    I apologise if I ask a silly question jumping in on this post; I too have been attracted to the Barclaycard Platinum Travel CC. Until recently, I have been using preloaded cards for obtaining foreign currencies when I am away. But I am about to embark on a tour, where I will be needing several currencies for a short period. Am I correct in thinking: I can draw out foreign money, whilst overseas, without a charge. The exchange rate will be quite favourable, better than a street Bureau De Change, and so long as I pay my balance in full when I receive my statement, I will not incur any other charge? It seems clear in the blurb, but appears too good to be true, or am I missing something. I know I could ask Barclaycard, but, cynically, I fear I may not ask an important question, and they will not tell me the catch.
    I appreciate any advice offered. PS, what is DCC.
    Last edited by Shampton; 27-09-2017 at 9:36 AM. Reason: extra question
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 27th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 12,495 Posts
    • 10,496 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:02 AM
    I apologise if I ask a silly question jumping in on this post; I too have been attracted to the Barclaycard Platinum Travel CC. Until recently, I have been using preloaded cards for obtaining foreign currencies when I am away. But I am about to embark on a tour, where I will be needing several currencies for a short period. Am I correct in thinking: I can draw out foreign money, whilst overseas, without a charge.
    Originally posted by Shampton
    Yes. Sometimes the ATM itself will charge - but it will tell you if it does. I've never known one to charge in Europe, although in Spain people are reporting some ATMs charge. It's more common in places like the US and Thailand.
    The exchange rate will be quite favourable, better than a street Bureau De Change, and so long as I pay my balance in full when I receive my statement, I will not incur any other charge?
    It uses the VISA rate with a 0% markup, see here https://www.visaeurope.com/making-payments/exchange-rates

The rates are far better than BDC rates.
    It seems clear in the blurb, but appears too good to be true, or am I missing something. I know I could ask Barclaycard, but, cynically, I fear I may not ask an important question, and they will not tell me the catch.
    Or more likely their staff won't have a clue and will guess. Which seems quite common with bank call centres these days.
    I appreciate any advice offered. PS, what is DCC.
    It's essential to understand and avoid DCC, otherwise you'll be charged big. Google "credit card DCC".

Basically, if an exchange rate is offered always decline it - choose to be charged in local currency. With ATMs, you're in charge so it's easy - take the "without conversion" option if it's offered. Not all offer it - if it doesn't all is good and you'll be charged local currency.

Avoiding it with retailers is sometimes harder - always tell them to charge in the local currency, always check your receipts show ONLY the local currency and not GBP anywhere, and in restaurants etc with hand held terminals keep hold of it after entering the PIN to see if it asks the currency.

See https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/news/travel/2017/07/Asked-to-pay-in-euros-abroad-but-charged-in-pounds-You're-not-alone-in-being-ripped-off
    and the linked discussion.
    • spragger
    • By spragger 10th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    spragger
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    • 10th Oct 17, 5:55 PM
    Tried to use this card to draw out cash in Toronto today
    Been refused by Nova Scotia bank and RBC charge a fee
    Any Canadian bank that will meet the no charge label that was on the tin
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 11th Oct 17, 2:07 AM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Originally posted by spragger
    You seem to have misunderstood, barclaycard won't charge you but any bank or ATM network might, they have no control over this.

We're currently in Thailand and everywhere pretty much charges a hefty fee so we've gone pretty much cash only.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 11th Oct 17, 11:49 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Originally posted by spragger
    Barclaycard won't charge you a fee.

Individual ATM owners can still charge you. It's the same as using a paid ATM here, no different. They will charge you regardless of what card you use (for non foreign spend fee-free cards, this would be in addition to said fee).

Chargeable ATMs are commonplace in North America, I've never seen a free one in USA and I'd expect Canada to be similar.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 22nd Oct 17, 1:17 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    You seem to have misunderstood, barclaycard won't charge you but any bank or ATM network might, they have no control over this.

We're currently in Thailand and everywhere pretty much charges a hefty fee so we've gone pretty much cash only.
    Originally posted by bigadaj
    Only Bank of China will not, but your VISA card is likely not compatible. Mastercard only I think.
    You'd have probably left by now anyway.
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 22nd Oct 17, 6:41 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    Only Bank of China will not, but your VISA card is likely not compatible. Mastercard only I think.
    You'd have probably left by now anyway.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Their website states a 3% fee for MasterCard, assuming you can find and want to trek to a specific branch when you're on holiday with the associated time and cost.

We did pretty much everything in cash and it was fine, a couple of places took cards for food or accommodation and some was also pre booked by credit card.

To be fair the exchange rates are very keen at the bureau, so apart from the risk of losing or getting stolen the cash you carry, you aren't losing out with changing cash, unlike most countries.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 22nd Oct 17, 8:24 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Their website states a 3% fee for MasterCard, assuming you can find and want to trek to a specific branch when you're on holiday with the associated time and cost.

We did pretty much everything in cash and it was fine, a couple of places took cards for food or accommodation and some was also pre booked by credit card.

To be fair the exchange rates are very keen at the bureau, so apart from the risk of losing or getting stolen the cash you carry, you aren't losing out with changing cash, unlike most countries.

What are you talking? Are you suggesting that the Bank of China (Thailand)'s website states that it levies 3% at the ATM for withdrawals?
    You know you have misunderstood what you have read, don't you? You probably have read what they charge to their own cardholders for particular transactions.

There is no charge for ATM withdrawals to you.

Though on the cash front you are right, the best bureau de change offer keen rates; Super Rich Thailand at BKK being a case in point.
    Though it isn't always convenient to carry wedges of cash around, so it's useful to have options. Bank of China(Thailand) being one of them.
    • Maximum Saving
    • By Maximum Saving 22nd Oct 17, 8:50 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 333 Thanks
    Maximum Saving
    I used to have a Norwich and Peterborough current account and they closed down all these in August 2017. I have a trip in January/ February 2017 in which I will be visiting Turkey, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card. I don't like coming home to debt. I wouldn't like to get cash out using a credit card. I am thinking of getting a Virgin Essentials current account however to take cash out from an ATM would be £1.50 each time abroad.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 23rd Oct 17, 4:28 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I used to have a Norwich and Peterborough current account and they closed down all these in August 2017. I have a trip in January/ February 2017 in which I will be visiting Turkey, India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore. I have a Halifax Clarity credit card. I don't like coming home to debt. I wouldn't like to get cash out using a credit card. I am thinking of getting a Virgin Essentials current account however to take cash out from an ATM would be £1.50 each time abroad.
    Originally posted by Maximum Saving
    starlingbank.com/travel/
    • bigadaj
    • By bigadaj 23rd Oct 17, 5:50 PM
    • 10,803 Posts
    • 7,100 Thanks
    bigadaj
    What are you talking? Are you suggesting that the Bank of China (Thailand)'s website states that it levies 3% at the ATM for withdrawals?
    You know you have misunderstood what you have read, don't you? You probably have read what they charge to their own cardholders for particular transactions.

There is no charge for ATM withdrawals to you.

Though on the cash front you are right, the best bureau de change offer keen rates; Super Rich Thailand at BKK being a case in point.
    Though it isn't always convenient to carry wedges of cash around, so it's useful to have options. Bank of China(Thailand) being one of them.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    How many branches do they have?
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 23rd Oct 17, 9:31 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 377 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    I use Starling bank for this... I got rid of my Virgin account when they swapped from Visa to Mastercard (Visa was useful for CostCo in the USA).

Same rate as Starling, but Starling doesn't have the £1.50 fee!
    • Marksfish
    • By Marksfish 25th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 187 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    Marksfish
    I wouldn't like to get cash out using a credit card.
    Why not? I too was a N&P customer and have taken out this Barclaycard specifically for the (Barclaycard) fee free ATM withdrawals (until 2022 if I remember right). It works the same way as your debit card did at N&P and if you don't like the idea of coming home to a debit balance, pay it off on the app when you see the amount confirmed on your account. It can save you £'s in currency conversion, why let the banks profit?

Mark
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 26th Oct 17, 1:09 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    How many branches do they have?
    Are you unable to research that for yourself??

An intelligent person will create options for themselves. Bank of China(Thailand) is an option.. Withdrawing over the counter with a suitable card, such as the card in topic, is another option. Carrying an amount of cash in £s, another option.

No one has suggested that one should depend on Bank of China(Thailand) as their sole source of foreign currency.

It is an option. Better to know about it, than to not.

Now you have three options.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,062Posts Today

6,815Users online

Martin's Twitter