Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 25th Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    • 8,807Posts
    • 21,100Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Stoptober: Ask Stoptober a question
    • 25th Sep 17, 1:51 PM
    Stoptober: Ask Stoptober a question 25th Sep 17 at 1:51 PM

Hi everyone,

It's nearly Stoptober! Cigarettes cost so much it's the perfect time to try giving up, with everyones' support! We have tons of ways to help you so join in and be a quitter!

Ask Stoptober a question!

The Stoptober campaign guys are here on the forum to answer your questions. Click "reply" below, join in, and ask. They'll aim to reply back as soon as they can. They'll also be posting up replies to some of the frequently asked questions they get generally.

Join the forum to join in

The Info

Here are some important links where you can find out more about Stoptober and how you can get involved.

Earn a Stoptober badge

If you've managed to quit and gone the full length of Stoptober without smoking reply to this thread to let us know, including how much you've saved, and you'll get a 'Stoptober Survivor' badge from MSE Badger.

Track your progress - get your forum signatures ready!

Keep track of your progress in your forum signature, eg. "My Stoptober savings so far: £55". Keeping a reminder of how much you've saved in your forum signature should help keep you on motivated each time you post!

Thank you to our Families board regulars!

We could have posted this on our Health & Beauty board but we're more likely to help a lot more people on our Marriages and family board so we're unashamedly posting it on here. If this doesn't affect you, thank you for your patience
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 25-09-2017 at 2:09 PM.
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 25th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,914 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:31 PM
    Two questions?

1. Do Stoptober keep statistics on what proportion of people have previously taken part and are trying again?

2. Do non smokers who obviously won't smoke in October also get a badge?
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 25th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 7,905 Posts
    • 8,016 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:13 PM
    What on earth has tober got to do with smoking?

Stopping it may be a good thing, or is the rebranding of Stoptober an active/tacit encouragement to physically abuse people?
    Last edited by pogofish; 25-09-2017 at 10:17 PM.
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 25th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 6,172 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:23 PM
    Hi,

why is October the month for change, is it to get ready for the Christmas binge?

Y'all take care now.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 26th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 3,433 Posts
    • 5,260 Thanks
    Malthusian
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:44 AM
    Originally posted by silvercar
    Would you like a "Debt-free" badge for having never had a debt problem to get rid of while you're at it?

The majority of the badges work on the "honour system" (I'm pretty sure MSE aren't going to check if you actually made a PPI claim or haggled for a purchase) so you can festoon your sidebar with as many as you like, if you feel the need to.
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,914 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:53 AM
    Would you like a "Debt-free" badge for having never had a debt problem to get rid of while you're at it?
    Fair point.

I would like to know if stoptober collects statistics on people who join year in year out.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 26th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 2,000 Posts
    • 5,518 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    • 26th Sep 17, 11:55 AM
    Fair point.

I would like to know if stoptober collects statistics on people who join year in year out.
    Why?

If people are trying to stop smoking, that can only be a good thing, can't it? Its really hard to stop and even if people fall off the wagon in say December, at least they've tried and they've given their body a short break from the tobacco. If they keep trying and things like Stoptober motivate them to keep trying then maybe eventually they'll manage it for good!
    • Potato Fist
    • By Potato Fist 26th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    Potato Fist
    • 26th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 3:10 PM
    Hi Stoptober

Do you know where i left my car keys? I cant find them anywhere
    • silvercar
    • By silvercar 26th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 36,184 Posts
    • 152,914 Thanks
    silvercar
    • 26th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    • 26th Sep 17, 4:18 PM
    Why?

If people are trying to stop smoking, that can only be a good thing, can't it? Its really hard to stop and even if people fall off the wagon in say December, at least they've tried and they've given their body a short break from the tobacco. If they keep trying and things like Stoptober motivate them to keep trying then maybe eventually they'll manage it for good!
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    I'm not saying it isn't a good thing. I was just curious.

I'ts a success if people give up for the month or part of it.

It's a success if they try again next year and give up for a period of time again.

It's a success if they give up for good.

I'm just curious if Stoptober collect any statistics.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 26th Sep 17, 4:39 PM
    • 1,070 Posts
    • 1,427 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    Hi Stoptober

Originally posted by Potato Fist

Have you tried the fridge?

Once upon a time, I managed to lock mine in the car................
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 27th Sep 17, 11:17 AM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Two questions?

Nice try

The badge is for people who join in throughout the month, post on the discussion regularly to let us know how they're getting on and have given up by the end of Stoptober

MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 27th Sep 17, 11:19 AM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Hi Stoptober

Originally posted by Potato Fist
    Haha

Join the MSE Forum
  • Stoptober
    Welcome from Stoptober!
    Stoptober - the 28-day quit smoking campaign – is now underway!

Stoptober has driven over 1 million quit attempts to date and is the biggest mass quit attempt in the country. It is based on research that if you can stop smoking for 28-days, you are FIVE times more likely to stay smoke-free for good.

Everyone’s quitting journey is different, but with Stoptober, you won’t be on your own. Join the thousands quitting smoking with Stoptober and get all the support you need to help you on your quit journey.

You can quit using medication (including nicotine replacement therapies such as patches and gum) or e-cigarettes. Stoptober offers a range of free support to help you, including an app, daily emails, Facebook Messenger and lots of encouragement from the Stoptober online community on Facebook. In addition, you can get expert face-to-face advice from local stop smoking services.

Those who use stop smoking aids and who get face-to-face support from their local stop smoking service are up to four times more likely to quit successfully.

Stopping smoking is the best thing you can do for your health and the health of those around you. Remember - if you can make it to 28 days smoke-free, you’re 5 times more likely to stay quit for good. Just search ‘Stoptober’ to find out more.

We’ll be keeping an eye on questions throughout the week and posting replies to the most frequently asked next Monday, supporting you throughout Stoptober.

Top tip for this week – write out your ‘quit list’
    Begin by writing out a list of reasons why you’re quitting smoking. For example, think about how much money you’ll save or the benefits to your health, perhaps you want to quit for your family. The list will not only reinforce your decision to stop smoking for Stoptober, but you’ll also find it a handy tool to refer to on those difficult days when you feel your cravings are close to getting the better of you!
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for Stoptober. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see us on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • surveyqueenuk
    • By surveyqueenuk 4th Oct 17, 12:37 AM
    • 545 Posts
    • 1,904 Thanks
    surveyqueenuk
    I have a question...

Why do we have to have both Stoptober and Sober for October? Give up ciggies AND drink in October?
    • frugalmacdugal
    • By frugalmacdugal 4th Oct 17, 6:10 AM
    • 6,172 Posts
    • 5,296 Thanks
    frugalmacdugal
    Hi,

I think it's because when folks who are trying to give up smoking, go out for a drink with their mates, who still like a smoke,,,,

will power is strong at start of the night, then as the alcohol kicks in things start to change,,,,

your mates are outside smoking and you're maybe left on your own, then you say, ach, I'll only have one tonight and go out and join them, that's the start.

So better not to yield to temptation, plus look at the money you will save.
    Y'all take care now.
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 5th Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    How's it going everyone?

Have you worked out how much you've saved?

Join the MSE Forum
    • suelizab
    • By suelizab 5th Oct 17, 3:47 PM
    • 196 Posts
    • 559 Thanks
    suelizab
    I stopped smoking during stoptober 2013 , this site helped me no end . Haven't had a puff since . The only thing is that the craving for a fag pops up now and again, and I often looks for them with a coffee forgetting that I don't smoke anymore . I had been smoking for 41 years . good luck to those trying to give up . If you fall off the wagon just start again the next day .
    not long for the pension: eek: :
  • Stoptober
    Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all your questions so far. Please keep them coming - we are excited to be taking part in this forum!

This week we have got some answers for you on the two main questions asked so far - these are about Stoptober statistics, and the difference between Stoptober and Go Sober for October.

Do Stoptober keep statistics on what proportion of people have previously taken part and are trying again?
    It is difficult to get the exact numbers of people who have taken part in Stoptober on more than one occasion, but we do know that over 1 million people have joined Stoptober since 2012, and there are now 11.5 million ex-smokers in England. There are currently nearly seven million smokers in England, but smoking rates are at their lowest level since records began (15.5% of the adult population).

New data released from a report from UCL showed that quitting success rates are at their highest for at least a decade - up to 19.8% - significantly higher than the average for the preceding 10 years (15.7%). The report, from leading smoking cessation expert Professor Robert West, estimates that with a success rate of one in five, the first half of 2017 has seen approximately half a million people having stopped smoking. The new report cites more quitting aid options for smokers wanting to stop, more restrictions on smoking, the introduction of plain tobacco packaging and a stronger anti-smoking culture in England, along with stop smoking campaigns such as Stoptober, as the reasons why things should be getting easier for smokers to stop and quitting success rates are rising.

Why do we have to have both Stoptober and Sober for October? Give up ciggies AND drink in October?
    Stoptober is a Public Health England initiative and is the biggest mass quit attempt of its kind that calls on smokers to stop smoking for 28 days to see for themselves the health and financial benefits giving up their habit has. It is not about raising money for a charity. Smokers wishing to quit are encouraged to search ‘Stoptober’ to find out about a range of free and proven support available to help them start their quitting journey for 28 days and beyond.

Go Sober for October is a charity-led initiative encouraging people go 31 days without alcohol this October to raise money for people living with cancer.
    Official Organisation Representative
    I’m the official organisation rep for Stoptober. MSE has given permission for me to post letting you know about relevant and useful info. You can see us on the organisations with permission to post list. If you believe I've broken the Forum Rules please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. This does NOT imply any form of approval of my organisation by MSE
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 10th Oct 17, 10:26 AM
    • 8,807 Posts
    • 21,100 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Thanks for the replies!

Keep your questions coming everyone. How are you doing? How much have you saved so far?

Join the MSE Forum
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,700Posts Today

7,599Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I realised I forgot in my links earlier. 1. Help to Buy ISAs, how they work and best buys...? https://t.co/BSCNPeqiVF

• RT @whatdawndid: Thanks to uncle @MartinSLewis I just received £200 back, just like that from the student loan company! Turns out that the?

• RT @LaraLewington: Shocked and saddened by Cheggers news. Working with him on It?s A Knockout was my 1st job in telly when I was just 19. H?

• Follow Martin