Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bonkers12
    • By bonkers12 25th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 41Posts
    • 8Thanks
    bonkers12
    Foghorn noise
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    Foghorn noise 25th Sep 17 at 11:27 AM
    Good Morning everyone,
    wonder if anyone has any suggestions with my noisy plumbing ,it started yesterday,i turned on my shower and it sounded like a foghorn on the queen mary, also flushing the toilet creates the same noise, we have a shower up and downstairs, there is one toilet upstairs and two downstairs,we have a combi boiler so no cold water tank in the loft. never had this noise before so a bit mystified , i noticed that when the noise begins if i turn a tap on the noise stops any thoughts would be gladly welcome ,thanks.
Page 1
    • nofoollikeold
    • By nofoollikeold 25th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 60 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    nofoollikeold
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:19 PM
    1. Likely cause is washer (diaphragm) in WC. Replace - cheap and may fix problem.
    2. After that, need to check pressure of water coming in to property. If too high, fit pressure reducing valve.
    3. However, could be any number of things and impossible to diagnose without visiting and hearing.
    • J B
    • By J B 25th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 2,304 Posts
    • 742 Thanks
    J B
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    We had something like that in our holiday rental cottage in N Wales.
    We turned the stop down a little and the noise reduced, but so did the pressure in the shower ... so we suffered the noise for a better shower!
    • bonkers12
    • By bonkers12 10th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    bonkers12
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    Foghorn noise from plumbing
    • 10th Oct 17, 12:30 PM
    Hi everyone,
    Just thought i would update anyone who might have a similar problem, the general opinion i got was that the unbelievable noise the plumbing was making whenever the toilet was flushed,the tap was turned on or the shower was used was most likely due to a seal on a toilet cistern or a washer on a tap.
    I went around the house and all i could find was that the kitchen tap was dripping quite badly, rather than bother with changing the tap cartridge i decided to fit a new tap, we had the extremely loud foghorn noise for over a week but the minute i fitted the new tap the noise vanished .
    Im no plumber by any stretch of the imagination and i cant believe that the noise was caused by a dodgy kitchen tap, but the noise has gone so hopefully job done,thanks to anyone who wrote back to me regarding the " foghorn noise from hell "
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,550Posts Today

7,567Users online

Martin's Twitter