Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 25th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    • 95Posts
    • 56Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    0 WOW
    The Great Hunt: What time(s) have you found the biggest yellow sticker discounts?
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:23 AM
    0 WOW
    The Great Hunt: What time(s) have you found the biggest yellow sticker discounts? 25th Sep 17 at 11:23 AM
    We're looking for your insider tips on what time you can get the biggest discounts in the supermarkets. Please share any experiences you've had of finding bargains in the reduced section.

Thanks in advance.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 1
    • louisekatie31
    • By louisekatie31 27th Sep 17, 5:12 AM
    • 177 Posts
    • 771 Thanks
    louisekatie31
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:12 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:12 AM
    I work at Asda and reduce the left over reductions on Saturday nights. I normally have to do it between 7pm - 7.45 pm. Depending who is in charge that night they could tell me to mark everything down to 10p or tell me to charge what I like!
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 27th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 7,237 Posts
    • 13,244 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 7:59 AM
    Each supermarket is different and depends on the manager who is on.
    • hannerrbabes
    • By hannerrbabes 27th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 148 Posts
    • 923 Thanks
    hannerrbabes
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:04 AM
    It really depends on the specific store and the day. I've been to my local Tesco at 10:30pm and got a tonne of vegetables and bakery items for 3p each, but I've also been there at 8:30pm and all the reduced items have sold.
    I used to work for BP in a garage with a simply M&S food range. The first reduction would be around 25% and that'd be after 11am-12pm, then we'd do 75%+ reductions in the evening. Usually after 7pm, but it just depended on how busy the shop was, how many staff were working and how many items there were to reduce.
    • mr-mixalot
    • By mr-mixalot 27th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 76 Posts
    • 61 Thanks
    mr-mixalot
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 8:24 AM
    I once picked up 72 eggs in Morrison around 7pm on a Sat evening

Worked out to be 12p per dozen, best thing was wife was baking the week after for charity so it was win win for all concerned

• tain
    • By tain 27th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 473 Posts
    • 591 Thanks
    tain
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 10:27 AM
    My local Asda are pretty reliable for making reductions around 7pm.

The big difference here is that on a Monday, there are actual physical and verbal fights for the mark-downs (often just 20% off as well); mostly around the bread and pastry aisle. It all kicked off two weeks ago when about 20 packs of croissants were reduced from £1 to 40p, and someone tried to take 10 packs...

On a Friday, however, you can waltz in at 8/9pm and you'll almost certainly still find plenty of bread and cookies and doughnuts reduced to 10p each. Plenty, like no one wants it. The bread consistently lasts until at least Tuesday without freezing, the cookies and doughnuts have never lasted past Saturday to find out longevity.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 27th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 2,170 Posts
    • 4,160 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 27th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 2:03 PM
    My local Asda & Morrisons both do final markdowns around 5/6 pm

I think this thread proves yet again that it is pointless asking these types of questions. Every store is differemt - and people have to do there own research as to what works in their area.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 27th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 23,544 Posts
    • 49,270 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    • 27th Sep 17, 5:28 PM
    My local Asda & Morrisons both do final markdowns around 5/6 pm

I think this thread proves yet again that it is pointless asking these types of questions. Every store is differemt - and people have to do there own research as to what works in their area.
    Originally posted by dlusman
    Yes, you have to invest to reap the reward .

Isn't there an existing thread on YS bargains?
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • MSE Rhiannon
    • By MSE Rhiannon 28th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    MSE Rhiannon
    • 28th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    • 28th Sep 17, 3:17 PM
    Hi guys - has anyone got any tips for yellow-sticker hunting outside of the main supermarkets? Would love to hear about that as well
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter & Facebook to grab the latest MSE Deals.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 28th Sep 17, 6:20 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 6,497 Thanks
    Ilona
    I did an experiment for Rip off Britain. Four big supermarkets, spend £5 at each of them, get as much as I could. Tesco first, Sainsbury's, Morrisons, and Asda last, starting at 4pm and finishing about 9pm.

I got £80's worth of food for £20. Asda was the best, everything was 2p, but as it was late they wanted rid of it. Sainsbury's a bit pathetic, struggled to spend the £5, not much on offer. Too early at Tesco for the third and final sticker. Morrisons ok, had to search for it.

A lot depends on if they have overstocked on some items and not judged correctly how much they can sell. The weather can have a bearing on it, they might have stocked extra for barbeque's then it rains. Christmas and Easter is a bit hit and miss, they don't know how much they will sell.

There isn't a best time, each store has their own methods. You have to visit your store regularly at different times. Look for the assistants with the sticker machines, hang around them as they price things up.

Some people are happy with a few pence off and will take things because they don't want to wait around. If you go late there might not be anything left. The choice is yours.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • DiscountofMonteCristo
    • By DiscountofMonteCristo 1st Oct 17, 12:22 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    DiscountofMonteCristo
    A few weeks ago I dropped into my local Tesco Metro at about 10pm to find a mobile shelfstack of discounted bakery items in the entrance area. I like going to supermarkets late because it's quiet, but bargains are another benefit. There were six types of artisan bread for 32p each and packets of 5 doughnuts for 16p each. I grabbed all the jam doughnuts, ignored the custard ones, and took one type of bread each. If I'd had a bit more energy or someone else with me I could have had several of each loaf type, but I guessed correctly that they wouldn't all fit in my freezer. As it was the total was around £3.50. I won't finish off those doughnuts for months.

That's an example of occasional late night basement level reductions, which are actually not that common. Once I got three 300g hummus tubs at 5p each, and I've seen celeriac or swede for 3p and similar with bags of potatoes. Mostly our Tesco knocks 10p off fruit or veg that was originally £1. Even so most of these reduced items are gone by the evening anyway. People cluster round the ticketing staff member (what a terrible job) like flies around meat. The typical time is about 5pm.
    • artyclarty
    • By artyclarty 2nd Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    artyclarty
    I pop into my local co-op on my way back from work if I'm on the evening shift (generally get there between 9.30-10.30pm). You have to look about as their reductions aren't always in one place. They aren't as cheap as the local tesco, but its always full of vultures waiting for the reductions so there is generally nothing of worth left when I am passing (if they are even still open!)

The bakery products they sometimes have a trolley full at the door, often it is still on the bread shelves, or if there's a lot, at the tills too.

The meat is generally on the meat shelf itself but it often shoved in with the chilled reductions or in the chilled meal deal fridge (not a good seller in my store so often lots of that stuff reduced to pennies)

Veg has its own basket, but sometimes it is placed with the chilled stock or again if there is a lot, down by the tills.

Chilled produce is always in the same place at least!

Not quite yellow label reductions, but they have a freezer section that they put all the discontinued stock in. A couple of weeks back, they were clearing out all the old Christmas/Easter stock and we got a big box of assemble your own profiteroles for 50p. They have just come back in at £4 a box!

If I'm feeling creative, I generally can get an evening meal for a few days for about a fiver and a pastry for breakfast pudding too!
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 4th Oct 17, 2:17 PM
    • 8,350 Posts
    • 4,966 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Our local Tesco Extra nearly always has something reduced in bakery, fruit/veg and the general meats/dairy/packaged pastries sections, but the big veg/fruit selloff was after 3pm on a Sunday.

However,certain regulars became savvy and would wait around for the reductions youngsters to come out, then grab everything they could (as many as 10 cucumbers). This was so rough that the youngsters who were given the stacking job were afraid of being hurt, so some (and other staff) refused the work.

After this they started sending out trolleys of already reduced items , but the wait and mad rush continued, so they began staggering the reduction times and choosing different shelves within a section.

This seemed to be working fine, but last week , I saw some reduced apples on display amongst other items, but there was a wet floor barrier around the shelves. I reached for a pack only to have an assistant run up waving her arms and saying, 'Sorry,but you can't have any of that before
    3.30.'

Then I noticed the large group of people waiting in the side aisle ie the old regulars, so good reductions are once again are going to the few, with things like chopped onion and floppy lettuce left for the rest. I wonder how long the barrier moving job will last.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,988Posts Today

6,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin