Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jammerr
    • By jammerr 24th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    • 176Posts
    • 48Thanks
    jammerr
    Hyperoptic/Openreach
    • 24th Sep 17, 7:58 PM
    Hyperoptic/Openreach 24th Sep 17 at 7:58 PM
    Hello,

We don't have fibre on our street at the moment. Our street is leasehold and we were given the opportunity to have Hyperoptic broadband installed for free. The managment on our street declined for fear of a monopoly (plus we've had little demand for it bar one resident as his business down the road will get it?

The managment companies worry is that if we have Hypertopic, BT Openreach when they eventually do our street will not see us as a priority as we all ready have fibre. Meaning people can't get sky/talktalk/EE etc and are 'tied in' to Hyperoptic. This resident claims the two are totally unrelated and Openreach don't care either way. (They are not currently even looking to rollout/ install in our area)

Because of the worry about this, it has been decided not to install Hyperoptic and wait until Openreach install so residents get 'full' access to whichever service they require. The resident is miffed about this as he thinks then opportunity should be taken now but managment are suspicious of his intentions as he'll get fibre to his business. He maintains he wants it anyway for his house and it'll benefit others.

Wondered what other people's thoughts were and if they've experienced something like this before and whether mangment co are being unreasonable or whether if there is little demand its best to wait for Openreach to roll it out.

thanks
Page 1
    • lee111s
    • By lee111s 25th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,946 Thanks
    lee111s
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:27 AM
    If there’s little demand then why do you think Openreach would decided it’s finanically sensible and viable to install in your area?

Openreach aren’t obliged to provide fibre in your area. Even if they did, Sky and TalkTalk don’t offer thier services on Openreach’s FTTP network.

If it were me, I’d snap Hyperoptic’s hand off.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 25th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 9,748 Posts
    • 4,004 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    • 25th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    <If it were me, I’d snap Hyperoptic’s hand off.>
    Likewise and its worth comparing what hyperoptic offers ve BT OR .
    • HyperopticCS
    • By HyperopticCS 4th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    HyperopticCS
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    • 4th Oct 17, 4:01 PM
    Hi there,

Your post came across our radar and we'd like to offer you some more information.
    Should we install our full fibre network on your street, this would run alongside the existing internet services, it would not mean that residents were forced to use our service, however full fibre gigabit fibre broadband versus non-fibre speeds would be understandably tempting.

As others have mentioned, the Openreach service that could possibly arrive in the future is not guaranteed to be installed, nor would this ensure a variety of other providers would run their own services preventing a "monopoly".

If you would like more information, feel free to send us a private message or contact support@hyperoptic.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

336Posts Today

3,299Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin