Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 24th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    • 106Posts
    • 597Thanks
    Litchielou
    Colouring hair.
    • 24th Sep 17, 7:56 PM
    Colouring hair. 24th Sep 17 at 7:56 PM
    My question is how good are hair dyes you get from chemist/supermarket. I have let the hairdresser colour my hair for the last decade every 10 weeks (my hair is very short).
    Will they last and are they good for the hair.
    We have recently retired and even though the money coming in to the house is very good I want to save money.
    Thanks for any advice.
Page 1
    • leslieknope
    • By leslieknope 24th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 289 Posts
    • 382 Thanks
    leslieknope
    • 24th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    • 24th Sep 17, 8:57 PM
    it depends on the brand really. some last just as well as the salon colours, some don't. it also depends what colour you want to go. darker colours are good quality from the supermarket but if you're dying it blonde then it's a lot harder to get a good quality job at home, but i think this has a lot to do with user error.

i use the john freida precision foam and the colour lasts really well imo. i dyed my hair 5 weeks ago and i'm still getting compliments on the shade! my roots are starting to sneak through but that's got nothing to do with the dye, just my greys... but it also covered those really well and the colour hasn't faded at all. i was paying £80 for the hairdresser to cut and colour my hair but this dye cost me £9.99 for two bottles and has done the same job.
    CCCC #33: £42/£240
    DFW: £4355/£4405
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 24th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 6,496 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 24th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    • 24th Sep 17, 10:12 PM
    I have been colouring my own hair for 50 years, and have been all colours, I would never pay to have it done in a salon. I must have tried all kinds of brands, but I haven't noticed much difference in them. I won't pay more than £5, mostly I pay £3 - £4, but have tried the £1 from the Pound shop. I suggest you go for a well know brand if you are a bit wary of trying cheap ones. You should do a skin test if you haven't used them before.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • donnac2558
    • By donnac2558 25th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 2,331 Posts
    • 1,948 Thanks
    donnac2558
    • 25th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    • 25th Sep 17, 9:07 AM
    I have never had a problem home colouring. In fact as I have short hair split the product and only mix half each time so save more money. If you mix the whole thing you cannot keep it.

I mix in a small bowl and the second time mix in the plastic bottle in the box. I stick to colours near my own colour so the natural blonds, even had a few people who thought the colour was my own and I didn't colour.

Be aware the colour always turns out darker than the photo on the front of the box. Stick to well known brands l'oreal clairol etc.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 25th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 106 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 25th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    • 25th Sep 17, 9:21 AM
    Thanks for your help everyone x
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 25th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 1,903 Posts
    • 6,496 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 25th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 1:35 PM
    I have never had a problem home colouring. In fact as I have short hair split the product and only mix half each time so save more money. If you mix the whole thing you cannot keep it.

I mix in a small bowl and the second time mix in the plastic bottle in the box. I stick to colours near my own colour so the natural blonds, even had a few people who thought the colour was my own and I didn't colour.
    Originally posted by donnac2558
    I have got two applications out of one box as well, and now I generally stick to one that's a couple of shades lighter than my own hair. It seems to give my hair shine and bounce, and perks it up. I cut my own hair as well, so my hairdressing costs are minimal.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • choille
    • By choille 27th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 5,545 Posts
    • 27,073 Thanks
    choille
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    • 27th Sep 17, 11:54 AM
    I also cut & colour my own - haven't been to a hairdresser in 20 years so must have saved a fortune. I don't know what it would cost in a salon.

I only started colouring my hair a few years ago & now often just use root touch up every 6 weeks or when ever it needs doing. My hair looks natural & is in good condition & costs very little to run!
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 6th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    lillie421
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    • 6th Oct 17, 11:02 AM
    I dye my own hair as it is A LOT cheaper than getting it done at the hairdressers and I just find it a lot easier to do it myself around my lifestyle rather than making an appointment and spending a few hours in the hairdressers. I would suggest maybe using a more expensive hair dye if you are wary of the cheap ones and be sure to do a patch test! Good luck
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 6th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Litchielou
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 4:20 PM
    Took the plunge and dyed my hair this morning (nice and easy) at the moment I am very pleased with the results. It was as the name suggests easy. Only gone a couple of shades lighter not to dramatic yet.
    • kpwll
    • By kpwll 7th Oct 17, 9:05 PM
    • 1,568 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    kpwll
    I've used Nice n Easy for years (blonde) and find it doesn't dry my hair out.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 7th Oct 17, 11:17 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Litchielou
    After one day my hair feels lovely wish I'd gone a few shades lighter but I was scared incase it went wrong. Next time I will be brave.
    • thor
    • By thor 8th Oct 17, 7:05 PM
    • 5,182 Posts
    • 1,852 Thanks
    thor
    I have never dyed my hair but have been looking at the cheap ones in the pound shops. They state that you can only use them once so that if you only use a little amount and have dye left over you have to get rid of it. Is there a reason for this?
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 9th Oct 17, 2:50 AM
    • 12,212 Posts
    • 11,517 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I wasn't sure if you'd finished needing advice/suggestions OP, but incase you were still reading or it's of any use to anyone else reading, I just wanted to add a few suggestions.

1. Make sure you ALWAYS do a patch test beforehand or at least before you test a new brand or type or every 6 months. No you were not showing a reaction last time you ran a dye through, but it doesn't mean your body has not changed and is now going to react. The number of times I've heard from people directly who had dyed their hair for years then all of a sudden they reacted and badly enough to need emergency treatment (think blisters and lots of pain and you understand) and I'm not even involved in hair dressing!

2. If you want to go lighter any time in the next year, don't use a dye with metalised colouring. It will be a big problem to remove and will mean you get an uneven colour. Lots of brands had metal in their dyes, L'Or!al Feria which used to be a brand I used a lot has metal in the dye.

3. Henna is great...until you want to flip back to man-made dyes. Simply put, the man made dyes will not adhere and will end up uneven. Tide marks are another issue with this.

4. DIY dyes are very drying and will mean your hair becomes drier and look frizzier especially if you choose to go lighter. You can help yourself out here by making sure you do a weekly moisturising mask in addition to a protein or damage-repairing type of treatment.

5. Try to dye hair that has been left for a day post washing, not straight afterwards for the sensitivity of your scalp and to help the colour adhere better. Also -obviously don't use products in your hair when washing it if you intend on dying it the next day. It isn't the end of the world if you do, but wax or silicon based products can affect how evenly things take. Some brands are strong enough for that not to matter but not all are and you wont see for about a week after the colour has been done.
    • Litchielou
    • By Litchielou 9th Oct 17, 7:25 PM
    • 106 Posts
    • 597 Thanks
    Litchielou
    3 days after dying, i washed hair today and it feels lovely. The colour is great glad I didn't go any lighter even though at first I wish I had.
    • suejb2
    • By suejb2 9th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 1,880 Thanks
    suejb2
    Dye
    I have never dyed my hair but have been looking at the cheap ones in the pound shops. They state that you can only use them once so that if you only use a little amount and have dye left over you have to get rid of it. Is there a reason for this?
    Originally posted by thor

If you mix the two bottles together they start to react and cannot be kept, more than likely the bottle will erupt. I used Naturtint, the less chemical one I could find and you can mix a bit of each bottle at a time, I only have short hair so the box lasted ages. You can also mix colours together to personalise the final result.
    Life is like a bath, the longer you are in it the more wrinkly you become.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

147Posts Today

1,441Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin