Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 24th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    • 2,929Posts
    • 43,907Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    Female 30-somethings - where do you buy clothes?
    • 24th Sep 17, 7:38 PM
    Female 30-somethings - where do you buy clothes? 24th Sep 17 at 7:38 PM
    I'm increasingly finding that I feel too old for shops on the high street and I'm not quite M&S age yet (despite popular opinion, I still think it feels 'old').

So where do 30-somethings shop these days?

I like H&M but their sizing is crazy.
    I like Oasis for their prints and slightly more mature cuts.

I've pretty much exhausted the high street, so I'm interested in any online stores I might have overlooked/not heard about.
    #TeamCarter
Page 2
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Sep 17, 5:17 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 17,067 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I might have to start scouring charity shops. I'm a size 6 though, so clothes in my size tend to be few and far between.
    Originally posted by OneYorkshireLass
    So is my wife. I have just had to convert a spare bedroom into walk in wardrobe, shoe store and dressing room. She also has a wardrobe and a chest-of-drawers in our bedroom.

Size 6 clothes can't be that hard to find.
    Advice; it rhymes with mice. Advise; it rhymes with wise.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th Sep 17, 5:22 PM
    • 18,023 Posts
    • 45,919 Thanks
    Pollycat
    So is my wife. I have just had to convert a spare bedroom into walk in wardrobe, shoe store and dressing room. She also has a wardrobe and a chest-of-drawers in our bedroom.

Size 6 clothes can't be that hard to find.
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    But does she shop in charity shops?

That's what the OP was talking about in the post you quoted.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Sep 17, 5:42 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 17,067 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    But does she shop in charity shops?

That's what the OP was talking about in the post you quoted.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Reading it again I can see what you mean. I thought she was speaking generally.

To answer your question though. No, my wife doesn't often shop in charity shops. Usually in desperation or an imminent fancy dress do. The last time was at Easter when she was looking for a reasonably priced bikini out of season in Bude. As a last resort she tried Cornwall Hospice Care (free plug) and, against all odds, found a perfect size 6 Next bikini in the string style she prefers (more adjustability, apparently). Even better, it was only £3.
    • Nicki
    • By Nicki 25th Sep 17, 5:53 PM
    • 7,529 Posts
    • 26,334 Thanks
    Nicki
    Hope the bikini was BNWT. Most people wouldn't buy preloved undies or their equivalent
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 25th Sep 17, 6:14 PM
    • 12,898 Posts
    • 17,067 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Hope the bikini was BNWT. Most people wouldn't buy preloved undies or their equivalent
    Originally posted by Nicki
    This has been mentioned before. For £3 I doubt it was. However, my wife isn't most people but if it hadn't been spotlessly clean, she wouldn't have bought it and I doubt the shop would have offered it for sale.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 25th Sep 17, 9:12 PM
    • 10,244 Posts
    • 18,658 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    I'm not in my thirties yet (27 as of tomorrow!) but the same applies to me. I tend to shop in Superdry and Hollister.. which aren't very MSE but they are the only places I find what I like and for my age (though Hollister is probably too young really!). I barely ever buy clothes so I tell myself it's okay that I shop in the too expensive Superdry
    Originally posted by Trina90
    Iím 36 and I love Hollister! I have a blue hoodie and a grey one with black sleeves that I absolutely adore and wear loads. I wear the menís ones though as I donít fit into the ladies stuff (yet Iím slimming) I love Superdry too- I have a lot of obscenely expensive hoodies from there my favourite is a black and grey zip one. I also have two flowery backpacks from Superdry and some gorgeous glittery bobble hats from there. Iím fortunate that I have access to a fantastic outlet store though. I love Jack Wills as well, and am fortunate to have student discount!
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! ❤️DMU MA English begins 09/17
    WFC and pleased to be sponsor for the 2nd season ❤️ 🐝
    Will always miss you Elle and will never forget you, brightest star in the sky 😢
    • asajj
    • By asajj 25th Sep 17, 10:20 PM
    • 4,099 Posts
    • 10,206 Thanks
    asajj
    Originally posted by Nicki
    As far as I'm aware they aren't allowed to sell them preloved anyway.
    £2015 in 2015 / £2015

No buying unnecessary stuff.
    Clearing out by selling on Ebay, donating to charity etc.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 25th Sep 17, 10:44 PM
    • 18,023 Posts
    • 45,919 Thanks
    Pollycat
    As far as I'm aware they aren't allowed to sell them preloved anyway.
    Originally posted by asajj
    Sell what?
    Bikinis, underwear or both?

Which regulation specifies that?
    • jenniewb
    • By jenniewb 27th Sep 17, 2:21 AM
    • 12,214 Posts
    • 11,517 Thanks
    jenniewb
    I can't afford to shop there often (unless a well meaning relative/friend/etc gifts me a voucher) but a few stores I like are Other Stories, Zara, Anthropologie, All Saints, M&S Autograph, Sweaty Betty, Jigsaw, Reiss and Ebay (for obvious reasons!).

I can wear Primark, Gap in the sale and H&M but find things wont last very long before seams seem to wash themselves open, fabric becomes misshapen or holes appear from nowhere. Having said that I still own pyjamas from Primark that are easily nearly 10 years old and they're fine.

If money were no object I'd be buying into the latest trends from everywhere, but money is a very limited object! And I mostly look for classics to keep updated. I do think it pays to get the classics right and then the rest is easier to pull off, in addition, you feel more comfortable, more confident and spend less in the long term.

I like the idea of Uniqlo but they seem to only work for very petite/small people or people who are taller (above 5'5") but with very short arms. I've no idea why they've not fixed this yet but if Uniqlo do fit you I'd look at what they have for basics.
    Mango looks as though it would be a good place to shop but always feels so manic and messy that I end up walking out. I don't mind this if I'm in Primark because there is the unsaid understanding that this is the compensation you pay for cheaper items. But when Mango are not so cheap, it just feels like I'm in a store where no one cares and the items are equally not cared for and it puts me off.
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 27th Sep 17, 4:36 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 43,907 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    I've also found that certain Primark pieces just keep washing and wearing. I bought a winter coat a few years ago and that's still going, also some dresses too.

I'd forgotten about Mango, I shall take a look there.
    #TeamCarter
    • catherine/kate
    • By catherine/kate 27th Sep 17, 7:25 PM
    • 102 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    catherine/kate
    I'm 33, fairly slim and tall. I dress in a pretty classic style (pencil dresses, tidy skirts). M&S size 8 is too big for me so even if I wanted to it's not an option! I think we are quite an under-catered market.

I tried Asos and Boohoo, but just ended sending it all back because it didn't fit.

My go-tos are Dorothy Perkins, H&M (they usually have a couple of things that are not too weird and fashionable), New Look (see H&M) and Phase 8 (who have a couple of things that are not too old lady-ish) with a smattering of Primark.

My colleague (late 30s, size 14) swears by Everything £5 and Next, but I find Next just a tiny bit too ageing (and sizes pretty big) at the moment, and not great value for money.

I find Mango sizes come up very small and short.

Good luck!
    • Olliegami
    • By Olliegami 27th Sep 17, 9:27 PM
    • 375 Posts
    • 767 Thanks
    Olliegami
    I buy all my clothes from charity shops. It's just so easy, and I can spend about £20 and come away with 6 or 7 things - which would barely buy me a top in some of the 'cheapest' big name shop.
    • Bath cube
    • By Bath cube 2nd Oct 17, 9:07 AM
    • 155 Posts
    • 76 Thanks
    Bath cube
    I love oasis for cute print tops. Dorothy perkins is my main go to for dresses. I like asda george for casual tops. I'm a size 12 was a 10 some years ago but that's life. Size 6 wow that's small that size person must not eat much.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Oct 17, 9:34 AM
    • 18,023 Posts
    • 45,919 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I love oasis for cute print tops. Dorothy perkins is my main go to for dresses. I like asda george for casual tops. I'm a size 12 was a 10 some years ago but that's life. Size 6 wow that's small that size person must not eat much.
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    I think you're very wrong there, bath cube.

Just because someone is a small size doesn't mean they don't eat much.
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 2nd Oct 17, 6:08 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 43,907 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    Originally posted by Bath cube
    I'm just about to eat a roast dinner, with apple pie for afters ...
    I've often had shop assistants question whether I'm anorexic. Most unpleasant. They wouldn't say to a large(r) person "wow, you must eat loads!"...
    #TeamCarter
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 2nd Oct 17, 6:10 PM
    • 18,023 Posts
    • 45,919 Thanks
    Pollycat
    I'm just about to eat a roast dinner, with apple pie for afters ...
    I've often had shop assistants question whether I'm anorexic. Most unpleasant. They wouldn't say to a large(r) person "wow, you must eat loads!"...
    Originally posted by OneYorkshireLass
    That's shockingly personal. And incredibly rude.
    Do you have a great put-down response to that?
    • OneYorkshireLass
    • By OneYorkshireLass 2nd Oct 17, 6:19 PM
    • 2,929 Posts
    • 43,907 Thanks
    OneYorkshireLass
    That's shockingly personal. And incredibly rude.
    Do you have a great put-down response to that?
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    Not really. I once said that I just have good genes. To which the assistant looked down at my jeans ...
    #TeamCarter
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 6th Oct 17, 10:53 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    lillie421
    I would suggest Monsoon as they sell clothes for all ages but their sizings aren't ridiculous! H&M, Zara are good too. I love River Island as they do have clothes suitable for all ages and all fashion types. It can be slightly expensive but worth it, the quality of clothing is good.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,245Posts Today

7,169Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin