Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 24th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 73Posts
    • 12Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    Wet ceiling?
    • 24th Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    Wet ceiling? 24th Sep 17 at 6:43 PM
    So the roofers took our tiles off and left them off for 4 weeks for some reason, slow process of work due to all rain etc anyway our bedroom paint on the ceiling has started to peel and the board above has a crack down the centre and is soaking wet. I haven't been in the loft as we dont have ladders or anything but i imagine above the board is all wet.

Question is - Will this just dry out and be okay? Or will this cause problems?

What would the solution be?

We are in rented at the moment as waiting for exchange date but would like to know the ceiling is safe.
Page 1
    • missile
    • By missile 24th Sep 17, 11:20 PM
    • 9,021 Posts
    • 4,388 Thanks
    missile
    • 24th Sep 17, 11:20 PM
    • 24th Sep 17, 11:20 PM
    That is ridiculous, and no a water damaged ceiling will not be OK.
    "A nation's greatness is measured by how it treats its weakest members." ~ Mahatma Gandhi
    Ride hard or stay home
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 23,680 Posts
    • 89,641 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 25th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    • 25th Sep 17, 9:04 AM
    That isn't acceptable. They should have placed a membrane over the roof, so even with the tiles off, it would be rain proof for at least 6 months.

Have you kept your landlord/their agent updated?
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 25th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:14 PM
    They did put a foam sheet thing down but it obviously hasn't kept all the rain out - I think it would probably have been okay for a week or so - I have contacted them so hopefully they will come out and sort it soon.

Thanks for the advice and assistance.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 25th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:15 PM
    That is ridiculous, and no a water damaged ceiling will not be OK.
    Originally posted by missile
    What I don't understand is that it is just one of the three bedrooms it has effected and only on the front of the house wall - Why not all the others? Maybe the piece of material covering roof just wasn't fastened down properly there - Could that have been the case?
    • Davesnave
    • By Davesnave 25th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 23,680 Posts
    • 89,641 Thanks
    Davesnave
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 25th Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    What I don't understand is that it is just one of the three bedrooms it has effected and only on the front of the house wall - Why not all the others? Maybe the piece of material covering roof just wasn't fastened down properly there - Could that have been the case?
    Originally posted by Spendingqueen
    More than likely. With any tarpaulin or non fixed sheet, there's a chance that it will move, a dip will develop and then water runs into that, weighing it down further. Had that on the garage early on and learned from it.

That's why it's best to stretch and fix a membrane across the roof timbers, especially as one ought to be used anyway under the tiles.

We did our whole roof that way, in sections, leaving the membrane for protection over weekends etc. Never had any leaks, and we're by no means experts. Mind you, I'd never do it again!
    'A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they'll never sit in.'
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 3rd Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:04 PM
    Is the solution just to plaster over it from underneath?

The man is finally coming to see it today so will see what he suggests - I think at least 2 of the boards are cracked - What is the proper solution? I imagine with it being housing association whatever they want to do will be the solution anyway/
    • FreeBear
    • By FreeBear 3rd Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 1,394 Posts
    • 1,995 Thanks
    FreeBear
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:39 PM
    The "proper" solution will be to remove the damaged plasterboards - Not just the ones that have cracked, but any others that have got wet. New plasterboard screwed in place, then the whole ceiling skimmed.

Anything less is just a short term fix.
    Her courage will change the world.

Treasure the moments that you have. Savour them for as long as you can for they will never come back again.
    • Spendingqueen
    • By Spendingqueen 3rd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 12 Thanks
    Spendingqueen
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    • 3rd Oct 17, 1:55 PM
    Apparently the insulation in the roof has dried out and they will be patching up the board and decorating as required!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

213Posts Today

2,011Users online

Martin's Twitter