Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,274Posts
    • 11,057Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
Page 9
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 8th Oct 17, 11:46 AM
    • 2,247 Posts
    • 14,302 Thanks
    parsniphead
    There nothing like a good visit to the tip. Or am I just being weird.

So many people on the diarys decluttering. I wonder who will be the first to finish.

Have a fantastic day.
    Nothing gets better until you get better.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Oct 17, 11:57 AM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hi Hairy Hands!

I just read through your diary and so many similarities between us with the way debt has accrued and the challenges of living to a budget. Well done on negotiating those Full and Final payments and I hope so much you get good news tomorrow from your last creditor.

I will subscribe and try to give you some of the care and support you have given me to get through my very dark times. Thank you so much for that - literally life saving and the value of these forums is down to people like you taking the time to support others xx
    Originally posted by MiMi66
    Aww thank you Mimi

It's good if we can help each other and this forum is great at giving practical and emotional support.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Oct 17, 12:02 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    There nothing like a good visit to the tip. Or am I just being weird.

So many people on the diarys decluttering. I wonder who will be the first to finish.

Have a fantastic day.
    Originally posted by parsniphead

Not weird at all parsnip, I love going to the tip I 'd be there all the time if I could drive, but DH is less keen. It's so fascinating seeing what other people are dropping off

There do seem to be a lot of people de-cluttering on here. I guess debt is a form of clutter so it's a similar journey.

I don't think I will EVER finish de-cluttering as new clutter seems to mysteriously appear all the time It's a work in progress
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Oct 17, 1:37 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    The clutter has departed the house, a wash is in the machine, I've cleaned the bathroom, DH is busy painting and the sun is still shining.

All is right with the world
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Oct 17, 2:21 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    We spent £7 in Morrison's on the way back from the tip, on 16 pints of milk and DH wanted a pack of four wooden coat hangers and some chocolate.

The milk may last a couple of days if we're lucky

My back feels a bit sore after cleaning the bathroom and loading up the clutter earlier so I'm going to rest it for a bit.

We have a big day tomorrow as DH can ring the final creditor. I have to be prepared for them to say no, but I know I'll be very upset if they do
    • please-let-me-be-lucky
    • By please-let-me-be-lucky 8th Oct 17, 4:11 PM
    • 8,407 Posts
    • 47,275 Thanks
    please-let-me-be-lucky
    Best of luck for the call tomorrow Xx
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0

NSDs achieved in December 1/5
    Lbs lost 10/107.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 49,066 Posts
    • 182,240 Thanks
    beanielou
    The clutter has departed the house, a wash is in the machine, I've cleaned the bathroom, DH is busy painting and the sun is still shining.

All is right with the world
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Good
    Did you really say 16 pints of milk?
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 17, 7:20 PM
    • 49,066 Posts
    • 182,240 Thanks
    beanielou
    & hope phone call goes well tomorrow.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • Reb2016
    • By Reb2016 8th Oct 17, 7:27 PM
    • 165 Posts
    • 401 Thanks
    Reb2016
    Decluttering is great, iíve done a lot of that over the past year, and cleaning is sooo much easier.

at the fury moron

Good luck on the call tomorrow I have my fingers crossed.

Reb
    Light bulb moment 6th June 2017 £13333.63 Debt now 11837.25
    DFD was October 2020 40 months now 21st Dec 2019 26 months Overdraft £720/£2250
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 8th Oct 17, 7:42 PM
    • 632 Posts
    • 3,579 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hoping tomorrows call goes well.

I find sneaking stuff to the tip quite satisfying but I am fighting a losing battle against the clutter here.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Oct 17, 9:56 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Good
    Did you really say 16 pints of milk?
    Originally posted by beanielou
    I certainly did It's a constant source of amazement to me how much milk we get through in this house Mind you I don't buy squash or juice so pints of milk get drunk, and then there are my many cups of tea, especially now I've given up the coke
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 8th Oct 17, 9:58 PM
    • 49,066 Posts
    • 182,240 Thanks
    beanielou
    I certainly did It's a constant source of amazement to me how much milk we get through in this house Mind you I don't buy squash or juice so pints of milk get drunk, and then there are my many cups of tea, especially now I've given up the coke
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Wow.Is.All.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 8th Oct 17, 10:01 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thank you lucky, beanie, Reb and redo . I'll let you know how the phone call goes. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Oct 17, 10:52 AM
    • 1,191 Posts
    • 6,685 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Good luck with the phone call!

P.S. Love the description of your bunny!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    My debt free diary - " Paid off the £31,000 - BUT still scrimping!"
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 9th Oct 17, 1:03 PM
    • 8,232 Posts
    • 43,627 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Just popping in to say I hope the phone call goes well and gives the right outcome!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£702.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 9th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 49,066 Posts
    • 182,240 Thanks
    beanielou
    Any news then?
    I take it not?

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Oct 17, 7:15 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks SG and Essex and beanie. Not much to report sadly

DH rang the creditor and they have received the letter, but it hasn't been added to their system yet. When it's been added (which could take another week) then DH's account handler will be able to approach a manager for a decision

Bearing in mind that the letter was posted first class recorded delivery a week on Friday, you would think they could have got it onto their system by now. They are the slowest of our creditors by far ( the other six proceeded lightning fast compared to this lot)

Still, at least it wasn't a no

In other news I've done three surveys today and have decided that my survey money will be added to my Christmas/car expenses fund, which currently totals £11. It's a start

Hope everyone had a productive day
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 9th Oct 17, 9:19 PM
    • 915 Posts
    • 4,646 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Love your name Hairy. I love the tip as well , great feeling coming away with less clutter. Thank you for your comments on my diary . I managed not to spend anything in Lakeland , but did have a browse. Am now the owner of 10 l of magnolia thanks to Hiddens tip about paint in B&M .
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Oct 17, 10:29 PM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're very welcome Cumbria

You did well to resist in Lakeland Your place is going to look amazing once all that magnolia has gone on the walls.
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Oct 17, 7:22 AM
    • 2,274 Posts
    • 11,057 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I forgot to mention that yesterday was a NSD, however today won't be because we're nearly out of... milk Plus we'll need to give DS3 his bus fare for college, but shouldn't need to buy anything else.

Yesterday I felt very miserable after the phone call to the creditor, because we may have to wait another week before we get a decision . I cheered myself up a bit by going over how much debt we have already paid/written off.

I also wrote a list of reasons to be cheerful, which turned into quite a long list in the end. I've noticed that one setback can make me feel as though everything is awful, so writing the list did help to give me some perspective, as did some chocolate

Anyway I felt more positive later in the day. We've waited years to be debt free, so what's another week or two?

Today's plan is walk followed by work. Dinner will probably be mince from the freezer with whatever value sauce we have in stock, tomatoes, onions, kale and spinach on value pasta.

Have a good Tuesday everyone
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

959Posts Today

5,754Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin