Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,927Posts
    • 16,990Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £36.76/Loss of Income Fund £0
Page 73
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Jan 18, 5:06 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,664 Thanks
    beanielou
    I have been eating chocolates that I dont even like & shortbread.
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 2nd Jan 18, 5:16 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy New Year HHOD , sounds like you had a good new year. Easing into work is a good idea. I like that you bought yourselves a few bits in the sale , well deserved now you are debt free.
    Originally posted by Cumbria lass
    Thanks Cumbria

I have been eating chocolates that I dont even like & shortbread.
    Originally posted by beanielou
    You need to get all the bad food out of the house beanie (eather by eating it or binning it) and then don't buy any more. That's the only thing that works for me.
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Then save up for repairs to the house.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Jan 18, 5:44 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,664 Thanks
    beanielou
    Thanks Cumbria

You need to get all the bad food out of the house beanie (eather by eating it or binning it) and then don't buy any more. That's the only thing that works for me.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Too mean to bin it
    It was all in a hamper I got at Chrimbo so once it is gone it is gone.

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 2nd Jan 18, 5:52 PM
    • 2,386 Posts
    • 11,230 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Hello HH,

Happy New Year.

I like your sensible approach to handling the weight gain. I am struggling with weight gain too.
    You seem to be adjusting to being debt free and treating yourself now and then.

My mind seems to be buzzing with the things I 'need' once I am debt free

Have a relaxing evening
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/December 2017=2,510
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 2nd Jan 18, 7:15 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks . I know how to lose the weight as I've done it before and know what works for me, I just need to apply some will power which is the hardest part .

We're on a very tight budget so still need to be very careful with our spending, but the immense pressure of the debts being gone is such a relief .

You look like you don't have far to go with paying yours off.
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 2nd Jan 18, 8:20 PM
    • 526 Posts
    • 6,249 Thanks
    117pauline
    As I didn't "do" Christmas, I have few excuses for gaining weight. I think mine is down to eating immediate food like full fat yogurt etc to excess. Looking back, I can now see I smacked and grazed for the three weeks.

I'm impressed with the New Year office clear out. There's something wonderful about clearing the decks for the coming year.

How is your brother in law?

Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 2nd Jan 18, 9:20 PM
    • 1,427 Posts
    • 8,254 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    We've still got an old laptop and two computers that DH says we can't throw away until he's sorted them out (they've been cluttering up the office for over a year ) and big stacks of paperwork to go through, but it does look a lot better . We'll do the tip trip tomorrow and go through some of the paperwork too. When it's finished I think we'll feel more motivated and inspired to define our work goals for 2018 and get existing work completed ..
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Donít let OH fob you off about the computers Hairy - why is it that men can never happily throw away anything electrical or electronic!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Save for New Kitchen!
    Surveys: PA: £15.78/£20; One Poll: £15.40/£40: Opinium: £10.50/£25; Panelbase: £5/£10; You Gov: 1625/5000 points (£50)
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 2nd Jan 18, 9:33 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You don't want to know how much computer and electrical stuff we have in tbe void SSG, it drives me potty .

BIL has finished radiotherapy before Christmas Pauline and starts chemo this week. We're hoping it's effective but time will tell.

It sounds like lots of people want to lose weight after Christmas, we need an MSE exercise class and diet plan .
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 2nd Jan 18, 9:40 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,664 Thanks
    beanielou
    There is a very friendly MSE SW thread.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 2nd Jan 18, 10:03 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I can't follow diets like that unfortunately beanie as I like to go off piste and do it my own way. That's also the reason I can't follow recipes . We can cheer each other on though .
    • mummytogirls
    • By mummytogirls 3rd Jan 18, 7:35 PM
    • 5,815 Posts
    • 20,298 Thanks
    mummytogirls
    Hows your healthy eating gone today HHOD? xx
    Mummytogirls x

£23164.32 - 12/12/10
    £6069.37 - 02/01/18 - 73.80% paid off
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 3rd Jan 18, 7:45 PM
    • 719 Posts
    • 3,936 Thanks
    Nicnak
    I've consumed my body weight in chocolate and alcohol over the festive season, I need to ensure I am not going down the slippery slope of weight gain again!
    September 6th 2017 - Updated 21st January 2018
    Credit Card £0 now: £1796 Tesco Loan £7500 = £676 Consolidation £15,000 = £14,725 Total = £25,330 £17,197 32% gone EMF #252 = £500/£1000
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Jan 18, 8:35 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Hows your healthy eating gone today HHOD? xx
    Originally posted by mummytogirls
    I've consumed my body weight in chocolate and alcohol over the festive season, I need to ensure I am not going down the slippery slope of weight gain again!
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    My healthy eating was going really well until I remembered we had some icecream left in the freezer from new year's eve . But that really is the last of the unhealthy food, so no more temptation. I didn't buy any chocolate, cake, biscuits, crisps or desserts at Mr T today . I used to spend a fortune on stuff like that.

So today I had porridge for breakfast, a cheese sandwich and a satsuma for lunch, a banana as a snack, and sausage rolls wiith baked potato and grapes and strawberries for dinner . Oh and icecream .

It's going to be another AFD though .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Jan 18, 8:48 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    My Mr T shop was over budget today, but the freezer was completely empty apart from vegetables and mince, and we needed laundry powder, bin liners, cleaning wipes and mouth wash etc. So the total came to £87.79 which is not great. I need to do better next week .

DH has gone mad but it's a good sort of madness. He's put the arm back on my swivel chair, mended DS1's shelf and put the handle back on my wardrobe .

We also dropped off the air conditioner, floor fan and four rubbish bags at the tip. Then we did some shredding. We have two bags full of shredding, but decided if we do ten minutes of shredding a day we will eat the elephant .

I also got a PA survey and am up to £8 and £2.50 pending .

So quite a successful day ŗpart from the overspend .
    • Sun Addict
    • By Sun Addict 3rd Jan 18, 9:03 PM
    • 4,996 Posts
    • 31,026 Thanks
    Sun Addict
    Sounds like a productive day I'm on another AFD too
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 £106.40
    Jan NSDs 6 Jan AFDs 7
    Weight loss 2.5/10LBS Emergency Fund £1685.31/£10,000
    April holiday £0/£900
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 3rd Jan 18, 9:11 PM
    • 49,570 Posts
    • 186,664 Thanks
    beanielou
    Well done Mr HHD

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 3rd Jan 18, 9:41 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Yes I hope he keeps this up
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th Jan 18, 8:19 AM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Thursday everyone .

Today's plan is more de-cluttering in the office, check for surveys, get work done, and do some laundry. Nothing exciting but all needs doing.

DS3 is back at college today, but looked surprisingly alert this morning .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th Jan 18, 8:03 PM
    • 2,927 Posts
    • 16,990 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    We managed some work and some de-cluttering of papers today.

In addition we popped out and bought a new lamp shade to replace the one in the kitchen that was tattered and faded. Whilst we were there DH decided that he needed a new paint roller and a brush, so about £7 spent. I popped into Mr M then for DS3's chicken breast and DH requested coleslaw, so another £5 gone

After work DH put some hooks up in DS3's room and DS3 did some cooking with the chicken breasts when he got home from college. All very industrious .

No surveys today and definitely not a NSD, but it will be an AFD.

I feel tired after getting up at 7.00am (it's been 8.00am during the holidays) but I'll get used to it. I also feel a bit flat today, but I think it's anticlimax after the Christmas activities .
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 4th Jan 18, 8:33 PM
    • 1,108 Posts
    • 6,036 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Getting back into your routine will soon get rid of your post Christmas blues! Productive day for you though .
    Jan 2018 CC1 £3099 CC2 £258

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

5,371Posts Today

9,559Users online

Martin's Twitter