Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    • 2,225Posts
    • 10,648Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    • 24th Sep 17, 1:22 PM
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally 24th Sep 17 at 1:22 PM
    My DH and I have been in debt for 34 Years, apart from brief periods, ever since I was offered my first credit card at the tender age of19.

Our debts were caused by us being impulsive spenders and not being very skilled at budgeting or managing our money, so we know it is our own fault. We always believed that one day we would have more money, mysteriously, and that this would bail us out .

Our full light bulb moment came when we realised, "What if we never have any more money than we do right now?"

A couple of years ago we were coping with the minimum payments, but didn't have enough to overpay on any of them. We were forking out £1300 a month in minimum payments, and the interest alone was £1000 a month .

But then in 2015 our small business started to bring in less, and a family bereavement, and illness affected our ability to work. We could no longer afford the minimum repayments and we were scared we would lose our home. We were stricken with stress and depression .

Step Change shone a light in the darkness for us and they arranged for us to make token payments of £1 a month to our creditors. This saved our sanity and we were reassured that our home was unlikely to be taken from us.

My DH recently turned 55 and drew out his pension so that we could make full and final offers to our creditors. All but one accepted an offer of 50% of what we owed (which is all we had to offer). We are continuing negotiations with the final creditor and hope to be debt free by Christmas .

Being so close to being debt free has made me realise what a heavy burden the debts have been all these years, like living our lives wearing lead boots.

Once we are debt free we will still need to live very frugally because we have no emergency fund or savings, and our income can be irregular. I hope that starting a diary will help to focus me on frugal living, avoid impulsive spends, and keep my spirits up. Because frugal living can be a lonely and isolating experience.

This site and Step Change has helped me so much, and I hope that my diary will help to inspire others that it's never too late to change your life .
    Last edited by HairyHandofDartmoor; 18-11-2017 at 9:49 AM.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
Page 49
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 27th Nov 17, 9:21 PM
    • 461 Posts
    • 5,643 Thanks
    117pauline
    I think any big family celebration is draining although very enjoyable so it isn't surprising you didn't manage much work.

Today I managed to get out - a hospital appointment, 2 shops, library and chemist - go me! Ended up sleeping for four hours when I got home though.

Glad you had a good time, well worth the travel
    Take care honey
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 17, 9:26 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,973 Thanks
    beanielou
    pauline~~If any consolation I have slept all afternoon & I havent been out.
    & I have no milk
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 2 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 27th Nov 17, 9:32 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks SA, and Pauline. You did well to go out today Pauline and no harm in having a nap afterwards .

I'm glad to be home and I am tired, but it feels like an anticlimax today so I feel a bit flat . I'll have to plan Christmas now so I have something to look forward to.
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 27th Nov 17, 9:32 PM
    • 617 Posts
    • 3,500 Thanks
    redofromstart
    No milk!

You will be out of cheese next
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 27th Nov 17, 9:34 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That would be a disaster
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 27th Nov 17, 9:49 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,973 Thanks
    beanielou
    No milk!

You will be out of cheese next
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    That would be a disaster
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    Not too bothered about the cheese

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.*** ***Keep plodding***
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Nov 17, 8:30 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Happy Tuesday everyone. I got involved in a really good book last night so didn't put my light out until midnight and now I'm regretting it as I'm tired .

Today's plan is ring the hair dressing college and see if they can fit me in today, as I'd like a pre Christmas hair cut, catch up on laundry, clean out the furry moron as coudn't do it at the weekend and get some work done.

Unfortunately I feel tired and unmotivated . I need to kick myself into action but it's cold and gloomy and I feel tired .
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 28th Nov 17, 5:00 PM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 43,503 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Redo you have to stop making jokes about people running out of cheese - it's traumatising me! As for you Beanie - wash your mouth out! Not bothered about cheese indeed...pfft!

HH I can identify with the getting caught up in a good book and ending up late to sleep thing - might have done that myself last night...oops! Glad to hear the wedding was good and you caught up with so many folk!

Hair cut.Hmmm. Yes. I've got to brave that one, too!
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Nov 17, 6:53 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,973 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope you got a hair appointment.
    Mine is like a bush!

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't put a book down Essex . What were you reading? I was reading Secret Smile by Nicci French.

Well I didn't ring the hair dresser as I felt too tired to be bothered . I meant to get it trimmed before the wedding but didn't manage that either, so I must try harder . I really want to get it done before Christmas.

I did manage to clean out the furry moron, empty the bins and do some laundry though .

DH and I got some work done, but then gave ourselves the afternoon off as we still felt shattered. Hopefully after an early night tonight, ahem, I'll feel on top of things tomorrow. I can't wait for the weekend and it's only Tuesday .

Have a great evening everyone.
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 28th Nov 17, 7:18 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,973 Thanks
    beanielou
    Glad you gave yourself the afternoon off.

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 28th Nov 17, 7:19 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Me too beanie, I think we needed it
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 28th Nov 17, 9:50 PM
    • 890 Posts
    • 4,544 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    I get carried away reading in the bath and end up putting the hot top on again.

Have a good sleep tonight , get your hair appt booked tomorrow, something to look forward to.

Glad the trip was a success.
    Nov 2017 CC1 £3329 CC2 £600

Debt Free Nov 2019: earlier if I have my way
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 29th Nov 17, 9:32 AM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Cumbria.

We managed an early night last night but DH is feeling low this morning . He's worried that the business isn't bringing in enough money, and he's worried about his brother, plus he thinks he's not going to live very long . I tried to point out that he's only 55 and there is time to improve the business, but he's not convinced .

Now he's got a parking ticket because he couldn't find anywhere to park last night and parked on the pavement, so now we have a £35 fine to pay .

It makes me wonder why I bother to scrimp and save .
    • EssexHebridean
    • By EssexHebridean 29th Nov 17, 3:54 PM
    • 8,227 Posts
    • 43,503 Thanks
    EssexHebridean
    Gah - that's rotten HH. Although I confess I wish they'd start issuing tickets to those who pavement park near me - I'm not talking just two wheels on the kerb here, but all four, and totally blocking the pavement. I've already come within a whisker of watching one child get knocked flying as a result... Our turning is narrow enough that anything bigger than a standard car HAS to pop two wheels on the kebr though which is fine - and thankfully nobody worries about that.

My Book was "Voyager" from the Diana Gabaldon "Outlander" series - I've read them all umpteen times before but still get totally caught up!

Hopefully your DH is feeling a bit brighter today - it is hard to see a family member going through something like your BIL has and not start drawing comparisons.
    MORTGAGE FREE 30/09/2016
    Sainsbugs 0% card: 22/12/16 £1229.00/£656.45 (20/11/17)
    SOA Calculator for DFW newbies: Stoozing.com SOA Calculator
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 29th Nov 17, 7:16 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 2,684 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Hi,

full on weekends have this way of draining people. I hope you had a fab time. I wish I had time to read at the minute. I love reading and can spend hours reading, and have had many a late night too! Harry Potter was one such late night that I remember well. Thankfully, I had the day off work the next day.

Hopefully you've recovered now. x
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 25th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 29th Nov 17, 7:35 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I'm very annoyed with DH as I wouldn't have parked there . The pavement is very wide and has parking bays built into it, but has pavement at each end. No idea why they don't turn these into bays too. So our car was not blocking acess, or putting pedestrians into any danger or even inconvenience.

However, I would not have parked there because I know you're not supposed to. But DH got back late from collecting one of the DC, drove around for ten minutes unable to find a space and finally risked parking on the pavement. Inevitably we get a ticket. I'm still really angry and upset about it, as £35 is a lot of money to us and it was AVOIDABLE . I haven't rowed with DH but am silently seething and he knows I am not happy about it .
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 29th Nov 17, 7:39 PM
    • 2,225 Posts
    • 10,648 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Thanks Nicnak, I read before I go to sleep as otherwise I'm too anxious to sleep. Thinking about what's happening in the story distracts me from my RL problems. I quite often go up at 9.00pm so I have time to read and still get to sleep early. I love reading Harry Potter too .

Your books sounds like sci/fi fantasy Essex, although I don't know the author.

DH is still feeling down so that makes two of us . Sorry to be a misery guts, but I'm having a bad day today . It's a combination of the parking fine, a customer not renewing one of their services with us yesterday and BIL .
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 29th Nov 17, 7:44 PM
    • 616 Posts
    • 3,016 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    We are all allowed an off day. I know what you mean about the parking fine, I never park anywhere I shouldn't but I know plenty of people who do, I would be devastated about a fine, it is a lot of money but all we can do is learn from it and move forward, unfortunately these things happen and I'm sure your DH won't do it again.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 29th Nov 17, 7:46 PM
    • 49,020 Posts
    • 181,973 Thanks
    beanielou
    Sometimes life can just seem pants.
    Keep plodding xx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,027Posts Today

7,724Users online

Martin's Twitter