Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 24th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    • 19,721Posts
    • 31,876Thanks
    Spendless
    Teenagers first holiday without parents
    • 24th Sep 17, 9:16 AM
    Teenagers first holiday without parents 24th Sep 17 at 9:16 AM
    My 17yo son is about to go on his first hol without us next month. He is meeting up with an American friend of his who is flying over and they are spending a week in London and York.

Accommodation is booked. Travel needs sorting. Any experiences they want to do, likely to book before they go, hopefully finding some discounts. Son has saved some money, but we are giving him some too (early 18th present). I'm a bit clueless to how much cash he'll actually need, they'll need to pay for most if not all meals.

Anything else he hasn't thought of?
Page 4
    • bluebear36
    • By bluebear36 6th Oct 17, 4:59 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    bluebear36
    Near the Omni, and whilst its a lunchtime special its large portions, its where locals go, Other places do 3 courses for around £12-£15 in evening often including a drink, but this place I may go in 3 times a year and owner recognises me each time, considering hes been there for 40 years and still exists it means hes doing something right!

£20 is lucky to cover a evening meal!! i'd have to push to spend that much like walk into the first place I find and go for something expensive on menu. but its all down to common sense really, get a curry at take away and it may cost £7, the same curry at a restuarant may be double that price but no better or bigger portions, part of what I was writing was to imply more common sense, if he does get £15 a day, and splashes it on a single curry and rice and has no spending money then its his own fault for not planning, giving him say £10 will make him think about stretching it more.

But I wasn't the person who mentioned Nando;s i.e junk food so I gave cheaper similar junk food options.
    Originally posted by dekaspace
    I've lived in Edinburgh over 30 years and have never heard of anywhere that cheap. I'm intrigued - what's it's name?

I've just been out for lunch in a pub/restaurant on the outskirts and it was £25 for 3 courses plus a soft drink. £20 is small change for good quality food.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Oct 17, 6:27 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I've lived in Edinburgh over 30 years and have never heard of anywhere that cheap. I'm intrigued - what's it's name?

I've just been out for lunch in a pub/restaurant on the outskirts and it was £25 for 3 courses plus a soft drink. £20 is small change for good quality food.
    Originally posted by bluebear36

Jolly's on Elm Row, its either £6.30 or £6.50

Desserts can vary, had pears in wine before, had home made apple pie before mains I either get a half and half or a normal main meal, always get nice roast potatoes and salad or chips with it.

Not to everyones taste but never had a problem there and the owner 3 years own still remembers me each time I go in.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Oct 17, 6:28 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I didn't realise that I had to reply to everyone as not to upset some people. I'm well aware of how to budget and eat cheaply thanks. Im not sure that 17 year olds are going to be wandering up and down trying to find a curry for a fiver.

I did say earlier in the thread that there are two wetherspoons in York and plenty in London.

Remind me never to respond to one poster on here again if this is the reaction you get.
    Originally posted by annandale

Oh grow up, you were the one that started it now you talk about MY reaction.

Don't argue if you then turn it around and make yourself the victim.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 6th Oct 17, 8:19 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    annandale
    Making myself the victim. On an Internet forum where people are talking about curry.

Right you are then. It's you who started banging on about your three course meal in Edinburgh when they are going to London.

Jog on.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Oct 17, 8:32 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Making myself the victim. On an Internet forum where people are talking about curry.

Right you are then. It's you who started banging on about your three course meal in Edinburgh when they are going to London.

Jog on.

Avoiding the situation there and turning it around on me,

It was you that decided to challenge me and seem to be too dense to realise whilst I was talking about Edinburgh I was implying you can get cheap food everywhere and just used my experience of a city to give something called a EXAMPLE.

Jog on yourself as you love to edit reality to suit your own warped perceptions.

Don't expect much from someone from Annandale in the first place.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 6th Oct 17, 9:02 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    annandale
    I'm not from annandale. What an odd thing to say.

Really odd.

Are you from a town called dekaspace?
    • annandale
    • By annandale 6th Oct 17, 9:03 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    annandale
    Someone is getting 20 pounds a day for food! Shock! Let them eat gruel while I go on about cheap curry.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 6th Oct 17, 9:20 PM
    • 37,864 Posts
    • 34,252 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Not sure when he is off on this holiday, but a few practical tips:

Make sure his mate's phone is enabled to work in the UK!

Make sure they don't flash cash: maybe put some in different pockets and replenish their main wallets when they're in their hotel / hostel room.

Make sure they EACH have contact numbers for both families on their phones, and on a piece of paper in their wallets.

Make sure you've got contact numbers for the American family, and vice versa.

Make sure they agree what to do if they lose each other.

Make sure they know they can phone you, whatever goes wrong. But accept that they may not tell you everything, and sometimes you're better off not knowing ...

Maybe ask that if they are aware of an incident, they text to say "we're OK, nowhere near X" - and that they forgive you if you text after an incident, just so you know.

Yes, it's all based on personal experience ... DS1 in London with school friends on 21/07 That Year - I never knew but my sister was actually in London on 07/07 - and I was stuck in hospital. That was the first day I was sufficiently compos mentis to listen to the radio. I couldn't get off the ward to phone him. DH reasoned that we'd hear soon enough if he wasn't OK. Meanwhile I got the award for the Least Caring Mum because all his friends' mums had rung within about 10 minutes ...

Then there was DS2 inter-railing with friends. Phones not working (not enabled for roaming but it took 24 hours to work that out.) A long email: "We've lost Fred ... and I think I've lost my passport." They'd split up and agreed to meet back at the station to move on to the next city, somehow they missed each other, Fred had got on the train, and they hadn't. That was when I'd have liked them to have had Fred's parents' phone number ... to give me if nothing else!

And as for not knowing: DS1's phone battery died when he was seeing how far he could hitch-hike for charity. I'm really glad I didn't know what was going on in Poland and Russia ...
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 2 shawls, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 1 seaman's hat ...
    Current projects: 1 shawl, another seaman's hat
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 6th Oct 17, 11:42 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Someone is getting 20 pounds a day for food! Shock! Let them eat gruel while I go on about cheap curry.

Please tell me where I said that, since I did you are making up """""""" to try and justify your actions, either that or not smart enough to realise what examples were.

I notice you mentioned some examples of how to eat, why were yours more valid than mine

Toff

I'm not from annandale. What an odd thing to say.

Really odd.

Are you from a town called dekaspace?

You mean I made something up or said something wrong

Wow as you NEVER do that right?!
    • *max*
    • By *max* 7th Oct 17, 12:00 AM
    • 2,817 Posts
    • 13,228 Thanks
    *max*
    Good god....couldn't you two take this ridiculous tiff somewhere else?
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th Oct 17, 12:02 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Good god....couldn't you two take this ridiculous tiff somewhere else?
    Originally posted by *max*

Im happy to end it, but they are the one stirring over silly things.

Though you should blame them more for stirring than me responding.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 7th Oct 17, 9:49 AM
    • 8,989 Posts
    • 13,052 Thanks
    meer53
    Im happy to end it, but they are the one stirring over silly things.

Though you should blame them more for stirring than me responding.
    You don't have to reply.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 7th Oct 17, 12:48 PM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    annandale
    Let's clear this up. Dekaspace is upset because I responded to him and not to everyone else on the thread. The last time I looked on a forum you could reply to anyone's posts you wanted..

In return I'm referred to as stupid, more than once. And I wasn't the only person who thought his intervention of how dare they get 15 quid a day when some people buy food with that was ridiculous.

It's a holiday. It's not a budgeting lesson.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 7th Oct 17, 10:54 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    Let's clear this up. Dekaspace is upset because I responded to him and not to everyone else on the thread. The last time I looked on a forum you could reply to anyone's posts you wanted..

In return I'm referred to as stupid, more than once. And I wasn't the only person who thought his intervention of how dare they get 15 quid a day when some people buy food with that was ridiculous.

It's a holiday. It's not a budgeting lesson.

Lets be clear, you pick and choose things you want to be true then challenged me and when I repsond you were criticising my responses.

By the way I said not smart enough, well I guess you really can't be if you think thats the same thing as being stupid.

Just as you weren't smart enough to make up the idea that I thought "how dare they" when I was just giving a simple opinion.

YOU were the one that made something out of nothing

YOU were the one that had a problem with me having a opinion that it was a good idea to eat cheaper

YOU were the one who then made it about you and talked about not responding to me in the future.

I just responded to YOUR responses.

Notice with everyone else I gave calm clear answers.

Don't bait people then act like you are the one hard done by and twisting things.

I don't care that you didn't respond to others, I cared about you CHALLENGING things I said, no problem with difference of opinion but you were directly disregarding my opinions and acting as if I wasn't allowed them.

Now if you don't respond to me now, I wont respond again either, and crazily enough I hope we both can put this behind us.
    • annandale
    • By annandale 8th Oct 17, 12:25 AM
    • 926 Posts
    • 1,982 Thanks
    annandale
    I wasn't baiting you. I'll avoid your posts in future. Cheers.
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 8th Oct 17, 1:25 AM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I wasn't baiting you. I'll avoid your posts in future. Cheers.

Well thats just childish as it places the blame on me, either way if thats the way you want to leave it.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 8th Oct 17, 11:00 AM
    • 8,989 Posts
    • 13,052 Thanks
    meer53
    Well thats just childish as it places the blame on me, either way if thats the way you want to leave it.
    I don't know how old you are but having to have the last word is quite childish.
    • cloudy-day
    • By cloudy-day 8th Oct 17, 11:04 AM
    • 233 Posts
    • 550 Thanks
    cloudy-day
    FFS nice job on derailing the thread you pair!

OK, you're both right and the other one is a nasty meanie.

Moving on.....
    • eamon
    • By eamon 8th Oct 17, 2:08 PM
    • 1,567 Posts
    • 1,108 Thanks
    eamon
    Well I hope that both young lads have a smashing time. If they do illegal things then don't get caught or tell anybody about it!
    • dekaspace
    • By dekaspace 8th Oct 17, 2:48 PM
    • 3,690 Posts
    • 3,034 Thanks
    dekaspace
    I don't know how old you are but having to have the last word is quite childish.
    Originally posted by meer53

Shame you didn't think for a moment its not about that

If it ended as THEM saying "ok, we agree to disagree" it would be fine.

Just as you have wrote a baiting response (which is also offensive) then turn it around on me

Ok heres one reason

I have autism (waits for people to tell me thats a excuse)

Nice to take a moral high ground eh.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,771Posts Today

5,981Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @bearface83: @MartinSLewis check out the @Missguided new 60% off offer. Upping the cost of items almost double to make us think it?s a?

• RT @efitzpat: Thank you SO SO much @MartinSLewis for your Student Loans refund advice! I just got a grand refunded right before Xmas! Whoop?

• Have a lovely weekend folks. Don't do anything (fiscally) that I wouldn't do!

• Follow Martin