Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • KatherineCardill
    • By KatherineCardill 23rd Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 7Thanks
    KatherineCardill
    Suing ViaGoGo, watch this space...!
    • 23rd Sep 17, 8:53 PM
    Suing ViaGoGo, watch this space...! 23rd Sep 17 at 8:53 PM
    Hello all,

I was recently mug enough to buy Michael Macintyre tickets from ViaGoGo - the usual story: I got pressured into buying (countdown clock ticking etc), extortionate fees, yuddah yuddah.

I regretted it immediately, and belatedly started reading all the online reviews... now I'm not even confident my tickets will arrive!

As you all know, alas there's no way to talk to them, no email address, only automated responses from their Customer Services page, they don't allow cancellations ... Again, yuddah yuddah.

Cue some hasty research into my consumer rights, and if I don't get a refund I'll be taking them to the Small Claims Court. It's early days yet but I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, here's an extract from my first written letter to them, with details of the relevant legislation. Feel free to use this wording yourselves.

=========

"I remind you that ViaGoGo is in breach of its legal obligations in this matter:

• You failed to provide obligatory information in a “durable medium” (ie by email or in writing), specifically:
      • You failed to provide confirmation of the contract. See Part 2, Chapter 1, Section 16(1) of The Consumer Contracts Regulation (Information, Cancellation and Additional Charges) Regulations 2013.
      • You failed to provide your geographical address, or any other effective means of communication, thereby making it impossible for me to contact you quickly or efficiently. See Part 2, Chapter 1, Section 13(1) and Schedule 2(c) of the same regulation.
      • You failed to provide the required information relating to my right to cancel the contract. See Part 2, Chapter 1, Section 13(1) and Schedule 2(l) of the same regulation.
    • You denied your obligation to allow me to cancel the contract, despite the contract falling within the scope of the above regulation (see Part 3, Sections 27 and 28)
    • You failed to provide the means of cancelling the contract, as required under Part 2, Chapter 1, Section 13(1)b of the above regulation.
    Therefore, in compliance with the Model Cancellation Form given in the above regulation, I hereby give notice that I cancel my contract of sale of the following goods:
    Order ID: XXX
    • Ordered on: XXX
    • Name of consumer: XXX
    • Address of consumer: XXX
    Please reimburse me the full cost (£XXX) of this transaction, including taxes, fees and delivery costs."
Page 1
    • CatDaly
    • By CatDaly 2nd Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CatDaly
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    Any news?
    • 2nd Oct 17, 1:43 PM
    I did the exact same thing on Friday, and I am now wondering if there is any way to get a refund?
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 2nd Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 542 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:34 PM
    How is your knowledge of Swiss law? That's the jurisdiction under which your contract falls.
    • Lorian
    • By Lorian 2nd Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 4,084 Posts
    • 2,221 Thanks
    Lorian
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 2:40 PM
    Radio 4 news lunchtime said a number of customers have recently been successful in getting their banks to do charge-backs. There is apparently some twitter or facebook group called something like "via gogo victim" where there will no doubt be more information. I was only half listening
    • waamo
    • By waamo 2nd Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    waamo
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    • 2nd Oct 17, 8:08 PM
    Viagogo are ticket touts. I've never heard of a tout being sued, especially a Swiss tout.
    This space for hire.
    • KatherineCardill
    • By KatherineCardill 7th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 6 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    KatherineCardill
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 7th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    OK so having received no reply by phone / email / writing (well we didn't expect to did we!), we're at Step 2: Formal warning of intent to sue.

The letter went in the post today and I've given them 14 days to respond.

For those of you who think there's no chance of success, fear not! Viagogo are subject to the same distance selling regulation as anyone else (see Consumer Contracts Regulation 2013). Match.com are based in Denmark and they're notorious, but I took them through the same process and they coughed up.

So a little more optimism please ladies and gents. I'll keep you posted when it's time for Step 3!
    Last edited by KatherineCardill; 07-10-2017 at 9:49 PM.
    • waamo
    • By waamo 9th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 2,063 Posts
    • 2,474 Thanks
    waamo
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 4:00 PM
    Match.com have a UK address and physical presence which means you can use the UK court system.

Viagogo has no UK address or physical presence making things a whole lot harder.
    This space for hire.
    • IAmWales
    • By IAmWales 9th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 1,472 Posts
    • 3,084 Thanks
    IAmWales
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    • 9th Oct 17, 6:02 PM
    Have you even bothered to read the terms and conditions?

This Agreement shall be governed by and interpreted in accordance with the Swiss laws. You consent to the exclusive personal jurisdiction and venue of Swiss courts. viagogo AG is registered in Switzerland, Company No. CH-270.3.014.628-0 with the registered address: Boulevard Georges Favon 43, 1204 Geneva, Switzerland
    Where are you going to sue them?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

329Posts Today

2,903Users online

Martin's Twitter