Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Dullville
    • By Dullville 23rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    • 125Posts
    • 118Thanks
    Dullville
    UC, JSA and ESA
    • 23rd Sep 17, 5:35 PM
    UC, JSA and ESA 23rd Sep 17 at 5:35 PM
    In a full service universal credit area.
    My friend is on CB JSA with the disability premium top up so she receives £243 per fortnight.
    Obviously she has health issues hence the disability top up, she's on DLA care(high) and mobility (low)
    She's is struggling with health at the moment and when she signed on last Monday, the chap at the job centre saw she was not in good shape and advised her to get signed off and move on to UC.
    The advisor was unsure if she would be worse off financially as UC was so complicated and thought she could apply for New Style ESA and still receive the same amount of money.
    He advised her to google it and see what she thought!
    I have googled it with my friend and I'm not sure if the advise given was correct, we couldn't even work out if she could apply for new style ESA or just UC.
    During her 6 months of unemployment she has had 1 period of extended sick for 10 weeks as she had been sectioned as was in hospital.
    So if there are any UC experts who can shed any light on what the best route to go down it would be much appreciated.
    Does the disability premium apply on UC and ESA and is there options to work part time on UC and claim WTC.
    She is seeing a disability advisor at the job centre next week to try and help her.
    Thanks.
Page 2
    • Dullville
    • By Dullville 11th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Dullville
    Dullville,
    When it comes to a UC question, listen to Alice. I don't know much about UC.
    I only claim to know about ESA.

My opinion, and this is only an opinion because it relates to JSA, is that she is already on JSA IB
    (she has a disability premium -which is only paid on JSA IB), she has within that JSA Conts.
    JSA conts will expire after 6 months.
    I don't see any reason why, when JSA Conts expires she would move on to UC...
    she already has JSA IB, so in my opinion she will stay on JSA IB with her premium, obviously has to keep looking for work.

Re: living alone

They live under the same roof but are seperated, -if she has not already done so-
    I would ask JSA to apply for Severe Disability Premium
    while she still has her JSA claim open. It won't do any harm.

Where it asks "do you live alone" she should obviously explain the situation.
    Personally I don't think she will qualify because they do live in the same house,
    and there is no individual tennancy agreements that seperate them.
    But once requested a decision will be made
    and then she can ask to speak to the Decision Maker if they refuse SDP.
    Originally posted by epitome
    Hi Epitome.
    Just to update you she has done exactly as you have suggested and applied for the SDP and enclosed a covering letter and sent proof of legal separation so she is awaiting a reply.
    She sent this off over 2 weeks ago, is this normal not to even had an acknowledgement by now?
    Last edited by Dullville; 11-10-2017 at 8:02 PM.
    • Dullville
    • By Dullville 11th Oct 17, 8:16 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Dullville
    Thread update!
    Gets a bit more complex.
    My friend has now been signed off by her GP for 5 months as she was in hospital for a few days over the weekend.
    Her next signing on day is next monday and her GP has dated her fit note for the following Tuesday as he thought it would be easier for her to sort her benefits as he asked her when the next time she signed on.
    I will go with her on Monday just so I can prepare her with what will happen, so will all she have to do is tell the advisor she is closing her claim and hand her fit note in?
    Will the JC give her a ESA form to fill in or will she do her UC claim there and then?
    Obviously JSA is out of the question now as she has been signed off for 5 months!
    Also to anyone who has any experience of claiming these types of benefits which is the less stressful one to apply for?
    Thank you.
    • epitome
    • By epitome 11th Oct 17, 9:15 PM
    • 2,855 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    epitome
    Thread update!
    Gets a bit more complex.
    My friend has now been signed off by her GP for 5 months as she was in hospital for a few days over the weekend.
    Her next signing on day is next monday and her GP has dated her fit note for the following Tuesday as he thought it would be easier for her to sort her benefits as he asked her when the next time she signed on.
    I will go with her on Monday just so I can prepare her with what will happen, so will all she have to do is tell the advisor she is closing her claim and hand her fit note in?
    Will the JC give her a ESA form to fill in or will she do her UC claim there and then?
    Obviously JSA is out of the question now as she has been signed off for 5 months!
    Also to anyone who has any experience of claiming these types of benefits which is the less stressful one to apply for?
    Thank you.
    Originally posted by Dullville
    She can ask the jobcentre to use any remaining allowance of Extended Period Of Sickness and remain on JSA. If this is not possible due to using it all or having too many periods of sickness, they will close JSA.
    If she is in a Full UC area, she cannot apply for ESA. and would have to phone the UC helpline to claim UC (with medical condition).
    Whilst she is on the phone to UC making a claim to UC...she also has the option of claiming ESA Conts New Style, but this has to be done on the UC helpline and you have to (if you want it) specifically ask for it.

As I understand it, it would make no difference between UC sickness and ESA CNS (i.e. amount paid will be £73.10 for both), except the usual perks you get with a conts claim, on income that is taken into account and the ability to be on a course of full time education. etc etc.

Hi Epitome.
    Just to update you she has done exactly as you have suggested and applied for the SDP and enclosed a covering letter and sent proof of legal separation so she is awaiting a reply.
    She sent this off over 2 weeks ago, is this normal not to even had an acknowledgement by now?
    Originally posted by Dullville
    It is very normal if you have posted it, to take 2 - 3 weeks before it will be looked at. Had you scanned it at a jobcentre appointment it would have been done by now.
    • Dullville
    • By Dullville 12th Oct 17, 5:07 PM
    • 125 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    Dullville
    She can ask the jobcentre to use any remaining allowance of Extended Period Of Sickness and remain on JSA. If this is not possible due to using it all or having too many periods of sickness, they will close JSA.
    If she is in a Full UC area, she cannot apply for ESA. and would have to phone the UC helpline to claim UC (with medical condition).
    Whilst she is on the phone to UC making a claim to UC...she also has the option of claiming ESA Conts New Style, but this has to be done on the UC helpline and you have to (if you want it) specifically ask for it.

As I understand it, it would make no difference between UC sickness and ESA CNS (i.e. amount paid will be £73.10 for both), except the usual perks you get with a conts claim, on income that is taken into account and the ability to be on a course of full time education. etc etc.

It is very normal if you have posted it, to take 2 - 3 weeks before it will be looked at. Had you scanned it at a jobcentre appointment it would have been done by now.
    Originally posted by epitome
    Thank you very much Epitome.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

129Posts Today

1,488Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin