Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 22nd Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    • 7,087Posts
    • 5,478Thanks
    daveyjp
    Bye bye Uber London?
    • 22nd Sep 17, 11:11 AM
    Bye bye Uber London? 22nd Sep 17 at 11:11 AM
    London licence not to be renewed due to lack of any corporate responsibility (or acting like charlatans?) leading to public safety concerns.

I for one am not surprised.
Page 1
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 22nd Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 57 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 22nd Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    • 22nd Sep 17, 12:34 PM
    Good on the courts and Sadiq Khan. We need to tackle these rotten companies that talk about "cost and choice" whilst agressively pursuing profits at their employees expense. Ryan Air, Uber, Sports Direct... who's next?
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 22nd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 2,178 Posts
    • 1,918 Thanks
    giraffe69
    • 22nd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    • 22nd Sep 17, 5:04 PM
    They don't press gang people to work for them. No doubt they are not perfect but,at least, in London they provide a cheaper alternative which in my (limited) experience comes promptly and costs a great deal less than a black cab. You don't have to listen to the drivers political views either. Of course Black Cab drivers hate the attack on their monopolistic practices. They'd much rather be free to charge the earth.
    • surfsister
    • By surfsister 24th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 7,225 Posts
    • 10,691 Thanks
    surfsister
    • 24th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    • 24th Sep 17, 8:08 PM
    700,000 have signed a petition 'To defend the livelihoods of 40,000 drivers - and the consumer choice of millions of Londoners - sign this petition asking to reverse the decision to ban Uber in London.'
    #SaveYourUber

https://www.change.org/p/save-your-uber-in-london-saveyouruber
    • jon81uk
    • By jon81uk 25th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 766 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    jon81uk
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:05 AM
    Great article on why this has little to do with the price or the app and all to do with unreported rape here

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2017/understanding-uber-not-app/
    • Spelunthus
    • By Spelunthus 25th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Spelunthus
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    • 25th Sep 17, 10:59 AM
    Uber can appeal. They can also address the issues that the Licensing Board raised. All they have to do is improve their practices and they'll get their license back. All this comment about "Luddites" and "Black Cabs" is fake news smokescreen. A Regulator is meant to regulate, well done TFL and Sadiq Khan.
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 25th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 4,182 Posts
    • 5,314 Thanks
    jack_pott
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    • 25th Sep 17, 11:02 AM
    TFL tell Uber to abide by the regulations.
    Uber ignore them.
    TFL withdraw Ubers licence to operate.
    Within 3 days Uber are knocking on TFLs door wanting to talk about complying with the regulations.
    Job done.
    • t0rt0ise
    • By t0rt0ise 6th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 1,791 Thanks
    t0rt0ise
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:33 PM
    They don't press gang people to work for them. No doubt they are not perfect but,at least, in London they provide a cheaper alternative which in my (limited) experience comes promptly and costs a great deal less than a black cab. You don't have to listen to the drivers political views either. Of course Black Cab drivers hate the attack on their monopolistic practices. They'd much rather be free to charge the earth.
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Of course the black cab drivers aren’t free to charge the earth. They have to charge the rates set by TfL.
    • megaginge
    • By megaginge 6th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 287 Thanks
    megaginge
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    • 6th Oct 17, 5:38 PM
    If I can get an Uber for 8 quid with one button press in an app, or have to hail a black cab for the privilege of paying £30 for the same journey, it's flipping obvious what I as a consumer will do.

Perhaps Uber is "too" cheap due to the way they treat their drivers, but the black cab industry is a monopoly that in this day and age benefits no individual (Especially not the squeezed black cabbie himself, whom justifies I'm sure in his mind the prices due to his having to wait at a rink for an hour for the fair! That is NOT the customer's problem).

I don't care about whether or not the conservatives are right and this is anti business or whatever else, I just want a cab that I can book via an app that I can know isn't lying to me about their arrival time, that is as cheap as reasonably possible. Uber offers this. I want Uber.
    Hello There.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Oct 17, 8:17 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    London licence not to be renewed
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    What does that matter.... as long as they are registered somewhere then they can legally work in London.

Am seeing lots of empty Black cabs..... which always makes me happy.
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Great article on why this has little to do with the price or the app and all to do with unreported rape here

https://www.londonreconnections.com/2017/understanding-uber-not-app/
    Originally posted by jon81uk
    Rape? The article says (an alleged) sexual assault. It seems bizarre beyond belief that the woman couldn’t be arsed to report her allegations to the police.

As you seem so hung up on rape in the taxi trade maybe you’d like to give use your take on John Worboys who picked up women late at night in his TFL licensed black cab drugged and then rapped them. He was convicted of 23 such rapes and sexual assaults but the police believe there could have been over 100.
    • daveyjp
    • By daveyjp 8th Oct 17, 8:43 PM
    • 7,087 Posts
    • 5,478 Thanks
    daveyjp
    What does that matter.... as long as they are registered somewhere then they can legally work in London.

Am seeing lots of empty Black cabs..... which always makes me happy.
    Originally posted by Mr_Singleton
    Are you saying an Uber from any other city can take jobs in London?

Where can this be confirmed?
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 8th Oct 17, 9:37 PM
    • 681 Posts
    • 1,496 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Are you saying an Uber from any other city can take jobs in London?

Where can this be confirmed?
    Originally posted by daveyjp
    Yes, I thought it was well known.... no different from a London black cab taking a fare to say Woking could then pick up a fare in Woking back to London without having to be licensed in Woking.

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2017/feb/17/uber-exploiting-loophole-to-spread-tentacles-across-uk-gmb-union-says

I know it’s very trendy to be !!!!!in’ about Uber but minicabs have been doing it for years.
    Last edited by Mr_Singleton; 08-10-2017 at 9:42 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,388Posts Today

7,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I was surprised to see the three people in front of me in the newsagents were all shocked their old £1 coins were no longer taken.

• RT @natdebtline: If you?ve been visited by a bailiff since April 2014 we want to hear your story for our #bailiffreform campaign https://t.?

• Well so far it seems there's one thing remainers and leavers agree on - the EU is getting the better of the negotia? https://t.co/70z5ffpG8S

• Follow Martin