Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kilgore55
    • By kilgore55 21st Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    kilgore55
    Uncancelled Direct Debit
    • 21st Sep 17, 8:02 PM
    Uncancelled Direct Debit 21st Sep 17 at 8:02 PM
    I have recently discovered that I have a Direct Debit with BT that dates back to 2002 for a property that I have not lived at since 2003. I have spoken with BT who have offered be 10 months of payment back as a gesture of good will but this would amount to about 10% of what I have paid since leaving the property. I have not used or needed the line in question, as I have had other phone lines with other companies that were BT lines, and was shocked to discover that I had this direct debit. I cannot remember setting up the account or if I ever contacted them to cancel the account.

As a result I have also not received and notifications about changes to service or increases to the Direct Debit. If I had of know about the Direct Debit I would have cancelled it sooner but I do have problems with my memory and this was the first bill that I ever had in my name.

Has anyone else had any experience of similar situations with trying to reclaim Direct Debits such as this? If so how successful were you? At the moment BT and I are at deadlock and I do have a letter that allows me to go to the ombudsman if I wish.

Thanks in advance.
Page 2
    • baldelectrician
    • By baldelectrician 7th Oct 17, 12:45 AM
    • 2,116 Posts
    • 1,318 Thanks
    baldelectrician
    Do a subject access request with bt
    This should provide you with all the evidence prior to taking further action
    baldly going on...
    • iniltous
    • By iniltous 7th Oct 17, 8:57 AM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 475 Thanks
    iniltous
    I think you should accept some personal responsibility, when you left the property you didn't advise BT to cancel the account/direct debit, and didn't notice the DD on your bank statements ( and presumably the BT bills they sent or emailed ) for 15 years !...obviously from your point of view, you have paid for a service that you couldn't have used, but from their point of view they continued to supply service all that time, they couldn't possibly know you left the address unless you told them, and it's not their job to monitor the usage on the line.
    Strange thing is, unless the property was empty for 15 years, didn't anyone move into that property , and if they did , didn't they have phone service ?
    Last edited by iniltous; 07-10-2017 at 9:02 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

377Posts Today

3,131Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin