Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Scoobs2006
    • By Scoobs2006 21st Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Scoobs2006
    Smart Meters. Are they worth it?
    • 21st Sep 17, 6:43 PM
    Smart Meters. Are they worth it? 21st Sep 17 at 6:43 PM
    Just wanted peoples experiences of Smart Meters. Im having these installed on both gas & elec.

Do the meters help financially?
    Do the meters make yoi more aware of your energy usage

Cheers in advance
Page 2
    • The Big Bamboo
    • By The Big Bamboo 24th Sep 17, 9:10 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    The Big Bamboo
    There is no current proof that the situation will be any better when they (finally) start installing SMETS2 meters - the centralised data collection system is unproven and, initially ,my suspicion is that SMETS2 meters will revert to being dumb on swapping suppliers until a) ALL suppliers have started installing them b) most of the meters in an area are SMETS2 compliant and can form this area network and c) the SMETS1 meters have been upgraded (if even possible) or more likely replaced.
    2025 anyone ??
    Originally posted by brewerdave
    I’m in the transition period of moving to Avro Energy from Br.Gas;…when my switch is complete on 10th October my Br.Gas smart meters, that I’ve had since Feb.2016, will be stuck ‘dumb’ I’m afraid.

I think(??) that my little Br.Gas ‘Smart energy monitor’ will still work to a degree that allows me to see the Elec/Gas meter readings without the need for me to go outside and brave the elements.

I’m a little ambivalent when it comes my overall experience of Smart meters with Br.Gas;…I rather stupidly and naively believed the advertising hype about how ‘Smart Meters’ would lead to accurate bills and no more wildly fluctuating monthly estimated D/D’s. “Don’t worry,..we’ll do it all for you,…just leave it to us!” they said. “Come Join The Party!” was another slogan that was in use at the time.

Well, silly me believed what Br.Gas told me;…I foolishly “did leave it all to them”…and what a !!!!-up it was. If you want accurate billing, even with Br.Gas ‘Smart Meters’ fitted, you still need to actively micro-manage your own account on a very regular basis to ensure they’re charging you appropriately. I didn’t monitor my account and to my great surprise I’ve got a credit of £500 that’s built up since I joined the ‘Smart Meter Party’. So much for accurate monthly D/Ds!

I think the overall concept of Smart Meters is sound;…however, the implementation and the roll-out programme has been something of a dogs-dinner since the day they started. The fabled ‘Universal Smart Meter’ that’s been mooted for several years still seems something of a distant pipe dream.

How much the whole programme has, and will, cost is anybody’s guess.

When I think of the Smart Meter roll-out programme the old phrase “a camel is a horse designed by a committee ” springs to mind.
    • Pedro1877
    • By Pedro1877 24th Sep 17, 3:13 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pedro1877
    TBB. When the switch is done you will still have all the info on your monitor, the only thing that will not be accurate is the price in £. You will still have your instant gas and electricity meter readings and the Kwh useage available. The only difference is that it will not send auto readings to your new utility supplier/s.

I was also with BG and I think they informed me that they wanted to change the DD amount a couple of times but I argued that my calculations were far more accurate than their algorhythm as I knew that I switched my gas completely off for 4-5 months and how could they know that. They obligingly left my DD the same throughought the year and when I left a month ago I have a small credit which hopefully they will refund me within the six weeks.
    • Pedro1877
    • By Pedro1877 24th Sep 17, 6:06 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pedro1877
    Correction to the above. I have just read on the http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5692120&page=14#topofpage thread (Post #277) that BG have switched off one poster's connection between meters and monitor. It lasted 5 days after the actual switch was completed. Today is 5 days after my switch and mine is still working. I do hope that the British Gas Rep. on this forum reads these posts and can explain. I do not care that the £ info is inaccurate as long as I can read my meter readings and the Kwh useage info.

I have also emailed energyclub to ask them if they can contact BG for an answer.
    Last edited by Pedro1877; 26-09-2017 at 11:41 AM.
    • Pedro1877
    • By Pedro1877 26th Sep 17, 4:57 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pedro1877
    Also tweeted their CS and received these replies:

Hi Pedro, as it stands the you'll lose Smart functionality after you change supplier. This is something which is being worked on & the system which will ensure you don't lose functionality will come in nearer the end of this year. Your new supplier will be able to arrange the fitting of new Smart meters which will work with their system. Thanks, Jim

Hi Pedro, sorry but you will lose functionality as Jim has already advised. Your meters send the reading info to your supplier which also sends the use to your monitor. This won't happen if or when you change. Thanks, Paul

Last edited by Pedro1877; 26-09-2017 at 6:22 PM.
    • MeterMan
    • By MeterMan 26th Sep 17, 5:55 PM
    • 272 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    MeterMan
    Correction to the above. I have just read on the http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5692120&page=14#topofpage thread (Post #277) that BG have switched off one poster's connection between meters and monitor. It lasted 5 days after the actual switch was completed. Today is 5 days after my switch and mine is still working. I do hope that the British Gas Rep. on this forum reads these posts and can explain. I do not care that the £ info is inaccurate as long as I can read my meter readings and the Kwh useage info.

I have also emailed energyclub to ask them if they can contact BG for an answer.
    Originally posted by Pedro1877
    The IHD is very likely to stop working at some point, but it only records the reading in KWH, you will need to read the gas meter in order to give the reading in m3
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 26th Sep 17, 7:43 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 488 Thanks
    House Martin
    The IHD is very likely to stop working at some point, but it only records the reading in KWH, you will need to read the gas meter in order to give the reading in m3
    Originally posted by MeterMan
    BG gas IHD gives the metric reading.
    Not sure if it also converts to kwh because I only look for M3., hope it does nt do the kwh conversion because that will get them phoning/submitting that reading in sometimes, just like the Eon IHD does !
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 26th Sep 17, 8:10 PM
    • 2,394 Posts
    • 640 Thanks
    AndyPK
    do they use a fixed (estimated) value for the calorific value ?
    • janbeno
    • By janbeno 27th Sep 17, 11:45 AM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    janbeno
    I was with British Gas on a MSE collective fix, whilst on this I had a smart meter fitted. I have just changed to the EDF on another MSE collective fix and I was told before I swapped that my smart meter was compatible and I would just have to phone up to have the EDF signal started. I have now found out that NONE of the energy suppliers smart meters are compatible! Millions of £'s have been spent of our money fitting these meters and now apparently all these meters will have to be replaced with a newer compatible model a smet2? in the next 6 months. I am furious that so much money has been wasted and this government once again has sanctioned a vast money pot for the utility companies. I will not be getting another smart meter.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 27th Sep 17, 11:57 AM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    Hengus
    I was with British Gas on a MSE collective fix, whilst on this I had a smart meter fitted. I have just changed to the EDF on another MSE collective fix and I was told before I swapped that my smart meter was compatible and I would just have to phone up to have the EDF signal started. I have now found out that NONE of the energy suppliers smart meters are compatible! Millions of £'s have been spent of our money fitting these meters and now apparently all these meters will have to be replaced with a newer compatible model a smet2? in the next 6 months. I am furious that so much money has been wasted and this government once again has sanctioned a vast money pot for the utility companies. I will not be getting another smart meter.
    Originally posted by janbeno
    The Government has asked the industry to come up with ways of updating existing SMETS1 meters such that they can connect to The Data Communications Centre hub. There is no suggestion that the industry has the resources/time to exchange the millions of smart meters that have already been installed. At the time, the reason for going down the SMETS1 route was sound - unfortunately, the whole project has suffered from massive delays with no shift - as yet - in the 2020 rollout timescale.

From the July 2017 DCC Report:

SMETS1 Enrolment and Adoption

DCC also made good progress towards
    developing solutions to support the Enrolment
    and Adoption of SMETS1 meters. DCC is
    managing a programme to consider how first
    generation SMETS1 meters can be enrolled into
    its infrastructure which will allow energy
    suppliers and other authorised parties to
    communicate with both SMETS2 and SMETS1
    meters via DCC systems.

In 2016, DCC undertook important work
    engaging with industry, leading to an Initial
    Enrolment Project Feasibility Report (IEPFR) in
    November 2016. The public consultation for the
    report closed in January 2017. The IEPFR
    outlining enrolment options is due to be
    published later in 2017.
    Last edited by Hengus; 27-09-2017 at 12:02 PM.
    • janbeno
    • By janbeno 27th Sep 17, 12:04 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    janbeno
    The Government has asked the industry to come up with ways of updating existing SMETS1 meters such that they can connect to The Data Communications Centre hub. There is no suggestion that the industry has the resources/time to exchange the millions of smart meters that have already been installed. At the time, the reason for going down the SMETS1 route was sound - unfortunately, the whole project has suffered from massive delays with no shift - as yet - in the 2020 rollout timescale.

Surely all this should have been sorted BEFORE the rollout of smart meters ? The meters should have been made compatible from day 1, not have to be replaced . As I said previously it is the consumer that is footing this debacle.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 27th Sep 17, 12:17 PM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 2,582 Thanks
    Hengus

Surely all this should have been sorted BEFORE the rollout of smart meters ? The meters should have been made compatible from day 1, not have to be replaced . As I said previously it is the consumer that is footing this debacle.
    Originally posted by janbeno
    This project is by no means a recent development. The logic of allowing suppliers to install foundation meters was to allow the industry time to determine which meters performed well (in terms of reliability) and which didn't, and to allow them to develop IT systems that could accept smart metering. In parallel, Capita was contracted to set up the Data Communications Company alongside which the industry put together the 800 pages or so of the SMETS2 standard for meters. This got delayed for various reasons (not least cyber security). I agree that it hasn't been a well-managed IT project but history shows that when Govt is involved things invariably go wrong.
    • janbeno
    • By janbeno 27th Sep 17, 12:31 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    janbeno
    This project is by no means a recent development. The logic of allowing suppliers to install foundation meters was to allow the industry time to determine which meters performed well (in terms of reliability) and which didn't, and to allow them to develop IT systems that could accept smart metering. In parallel, Capita was contracted to set up the Data Communications Company alongside which the industry put together the 800 pages or so of the SMETS2 standard for meters. This got delayed for various reasons (not least cyber security). I agree that it hasn't been a well-managed IT project but history shows that when Govt is involved things invariably go wrong.
    Quick Reply
    Thank You0 QuoteMulti-quote
    • janbeno
    • By janbeno 27th Sep 17, 12:40 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    janbeno

Actually this is the main gist of my complaint, the mind boggling ineptitude with consumers cash. I realise that the smart meter roll out has been around for a while, but it still brings me back to my original question. Why not get it right 1st time? Would it not have been sensible to confine the test smart meters to a region to get it right before it going nationwide? Obviously some companies have made a small fortune at our expense. Also thank you for your very concise replies.
    • Pedro1877
    • By Pedro1877 1st Oct 17, 12:53 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pedro1877
    Well they have finally cut my smart energy monitor off, 11 days after my official switch date and rendered it less than dumb, just useless. What a scandal after all those TV ads and all the surrounding hype/BS. What a stupid waste.

My monitor is now displaying "Connecting to smart meter ..." and "Lost network, please contact customer services if problem persists"
    • janbeno
    • By janbeno 2nd Oct 17, 2:46 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    janbeno
    Pedro1877 Well they have finally cut my smart energy monitor off, 11 days after my official switch date and rendered it less than dumb, just useless. What a scandal after all those TV ads and all the surrounding hype/BS. What a stupid waste.

My monitor is now displaying "Connecting to smart meter ..." and "Lost network, please contact customer services if problem persists"
    I lost information from my SM 4 days after, it has now gone in the bin. I am sure that I will be asked by EDF to have a SM fitted by them? I didn't actually find any real benefit from my SM as I did regularly check my meter readings myself.
    I found that BG didn't use the information properly as it dropped my direct debit by £15 after I
    changed it upwards to their calculation, they then dropped it back down again. I hadn't realised only when I was checking my bill I saw it, then they decided I wasn't paying enough so they wanted £40 a month more! If they had left my dd at the level I had set it this wouldn't have happened. I now have to check my online account far more regularly than I should have to. I will continue to do the same with EDF.
    • Raxiel
    • By Raxiel 2nd Oct 17, 5:02 PM
    • 371 Posts
    • 183 Thanks
    Raxiel
    Well they have finally cut my smart energy monitor off, 11 days after my official switch date and rendered it less than dumb, just useless. What a scandal after all those TV ads and all the surrounding hype/BS. What a stupid waste.

Originally posted by Pedro1877
    I've only ever heard about Ex British Gas meters/IHD's doing this. Seems incredibly petty of them, my E.ON kit has continued to work for 9 months purely as an energy monitor, just without costs. (Allegedly the costs should return when they take over again in a couple of days).

I do wonder if these BG monitors will start working again if and when they are ever adopted into the DCC network.
    • Pedro1877
    • By Pedro1877 4th Oct 17, 1:59 AM
    • 26 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Pedro1877
    Does anybody have any accurate knowledge as to why BG HAS to switch the SM monitor/display off? I don't know the ins and outs but I wonder why they can't just turn off receiving my info at THEIR end and leave my monitor running.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,033Posts Today

6,600Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @LordsEconCom: On Tuesday Martin Lewis, Hannah Morrish & Shakira Martin gave evidence to the Cttee. Read the full transcript here: https?

• Ta ta for now. Half term's starting, so I'm exchanging my MoneySavingExpert hat for one that says Daddy in big letters. See you in a week.

• RT @thismorning: Can @MartinSLewis' deals save YOU cash? ???? https://t.co/igbHCwzeiN

• Follow Martin