Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Rhiannon
    • By MSE Rhiannon 21st Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    • 50Posts
    • 85Thanks
    MSE Rhiannon
    Beauty advent calendars 2017 - are you buying one?
    • 21st Sep 17, 4:43 PM
    Beauty advent calendars 2017 - are you buying one? 21st Sep 17 at 4:43 PM

Are you thinking about getting a beauty advent calendar this year? Which ones are you looking out for?

There's up to 50% off beauty advent calendars at Superdrug (see our blog 'Beauty advent calendars out now – bargain buy or breaking the bank?') but do you use them as intended or do you split them up as gifts?

Forumite american dreamer has already suggested some on the shop but don't drop board, but feel free to let me know if there's any I've missed and I'll add them in
    Last edited by MSE Rhiannon; 21-09-2017 at 4:50 PM.
    Keeper of: Supermarket coupons, Birthday freebies, School holidays & Cheap perfume guides.
    Follow us on Twitter & Facebook to grab the latest MSE Deals.
Page 2
    • poppy_f1
    • By poppy_f1 5th Oct 17, 11:41 PM
    • 2,604 Posts
    • 3,244 Thanks
    poppy_f1
    nope, im not 100% convinced they are good value, bought the benefit one and boots one the past few years but theres a lot of the stuff i wont use so they outweigh the ones i will use
    • tanyab
    • By tanyab 6th Oct 17, 9:40 AM
    • 46 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    tanyab
    They all give a full rundown of Products when you click on the item online and on the back
    of the item should you buy it instore.
    Talking about instore the Marks and Spencers one is brilliant as when the calendar came out last year there was a member of staff standing next to the Advent Calendars holding a tray which contained all the products in the calendar. You could play with them and try them out (they were all marked testers) so you really knew if the Calendar was for you or not. Brilliant idea in my opinion and I hope they do the same this time.
    • lillie421
    • By lillie421 6th Oct 17, 10:57 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    lillie421
    If it's not got chocolate in, it's not a proper advent calendar.
    Otherwise for me it's an expensive gimmick full of stuff I'd never use.
    Originally posted by elsien
    TOTALLY agree. Although the idea of a beauty advent calendar is great, I am just too much of a lover for chocolate
    • ElusiveLucy
    • By ElusiveLucy 6th Oct 17, 12:52 PM
    • 607 Posts
    • 3,296 Thanks
    ElusiveLucy
    I had the M&S calendar last year and still have most of the products unopened so won't be getting one this year
    What goes around comes around.....I hope!
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Oct 17, 11:06 AM
    • 8,809 Posts
    • 21,112 Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    What's your favourite beauty advent calendar out of the ones you've had before?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    • indiepanda
    • By indiepanda 13th Oct 17, 3:14 PM
    • 965 Posts
    • 6,439 Thanks
    indiepanda
    What's your favourite beauty advent calendar out of the ones you've had before?
    Originally posted by MSE Andrea
    I've been pleased with the contents of both of the ones I've had before, which is the M&S one and the You Beauty one. They have some really nice products and very few that I wouldn't want to try.

Am not purchasing this year as I have had a tendency to keep travel sizes for travel... but to get through everything I have from calendars and beauty boxes by traveling, I think I'd need a year of holidays .

I've now sorted everything out into drawers mixing full sizes and travel sizes of the same kind of thing (e.g. body and hand creams in one drawer, body wash and soap in another, hair stuff in another) and am focusing on using up open stuff first and then will work through the rest.

I reckon I might need toothpaste next year... possibly body scrub late next year and maybe some serum. That's about it!

I think with all of these things (i.e. beauty boxes as well as calendars) you need to be disciplined to get value out of them and not end up drowning in clutter... get rid of everything that doesn't suit you straight away and plan properly to use the rest and not buy anything else in that line till you've tried it.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 13th Oct 17, 3:49 PM
    • 10,879 Posts
    • 22,761 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR
    I am beginning to think the Beauty and the Beast one does not even really exist.

It has been out of stock for weeks.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,655Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter