Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 20th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    • 633Posts
    • 3,083Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    This Duo's debt free journey
    • 20th Sep 17, 8:43 PM
    This Duo's debt free journey 20th Sep 17 at 8:43 PM
    I had a previous thread but having problems locating it so thought I would start a fresh one. Brief intro, the duo is me and my little one, just over a year ago my debt was at a figure of around £12k, as of today it stands at £6124.40. This is made up of 2 loans (one car) and one credit card which is 0% until April 2019.

My aim is to save up over the next 6/8 months so that I can overpay 6 months worth on the loan with the shortest term, this will clear the loan completely as the last payment is December 18. Then I will tackle the second loan which is due to end April 19, I aim to clear this by around December 18 and then clear the 0% card last but well in time for the 0% ending.

I can't do much until January, I'm currently studying and therefore get my income 3 times per year which I use to overpay, I have just cleared £1500 which is all I can manage until my next payment. This includes a monthly saving to my Help to Buy ISA. I have around £4k in my ISA but I am reluctant to use this to clear my debts as I will earn more back on this then I will save in interest with the governments 25% bonus.

I have gone over all of my monthly bills and I am certain that I cannot make any further savings than I have made recently. I am currently listing as much on ebay as I can to give me a little extra money for treats that I haven't included in my budget up to December.

Will update my signature shortly but as it stands my debt free date is April 2019, I aim to bring this forward to Dec 2018 at the very latest.
Page 2
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 30th Sep 17, 10:48 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    The last two weekends I've felt run down, I don't know whats going on with me. Feeling rubbish is really not good for my debt free targets, I find I always go for the easy (more expensive) option, for example I am extremely tempted to order takeaway this evening as I don't feel up to cooking. I usually have a leftover meal in the freezer for occasions like this but I don't think I have anything after being so unprepared this week.

I need to go over my finances today to see how much damage has been done so I will be reporting back later on, I just had to come here to get some focus and now that its written here then I have to do it! Back later.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 30th Sep 17, 3:54 PM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Cycling even a couple of days will save you a massive amount each month.

Hoping you feel better soon. I am full of a cold and feeling awful. Luckily, I have left over lasagne in otherwise it would definitely be a takeaway night as i'm too achy and feeling sorry for myself to cook too.

You might find a rain coat on eBay as well to match your other bargain. I bought an expensive coat last year, which I am hoping lasts me about 5 winters to justify the cost.

I need to find motivation today, but just can't. At least it means I won't be spending as I can't be bothered to get up.
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 25th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 30th Sep 17, 4:10 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Cycling even a couple of days will save you a massive amount each month.

Hoping you feel better soon. I am full of a cold and feeling awful. Luckily, I have left over lasagne in otherwise it would definitely be a takeaway night as i'm too achy and feeling sorry for myself to cook too.

You might find a rain coat on eBay as well to match your other bargain. I bought an expensive coat last year, which I am hoping lasts me about 5 winters to justify the cost.

I need to find motivation today, but just can't. At least it means I won't be spending as I can't be bothered to get up.
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Found some leftover bolognese in the freezer so we are having that, I'm really glad because I just don't want to cook and I don't even want to answer the front door even for takeaway.

I got a coat from amazon as I needed it to come quickly, only cost me £17 and I used my amazon vouchers from swagbucks. I've just discovered that you can get access to a locker on campus, they are given out on a first come first served basis but priority is given to those who don't live on campus, £20 deposit but you get that back when you give the key back. I'm really hoping I get one as this will really help keep me motivated to cycle in, the worst thing about cycling in is having to then carry a big bag around uni.

I know what you mean about motivation, I have a huge to do list and I just can't find the motivation to do any of it, I'm in a 'oh I'll do that tomorrow' kind of mood but I have plans for tomorrow.
    Loan:1780.49 2207.38 Car Loan:2039.22 2419.64 0% CC:984.98 1063.48 Overdraft: 860 Overpayment:1781 Total: 7445.69 DFD Dec 18
    SPC 586
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 30th Sep 17, 4:19 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Ok so now I have a total of £407.05 to last me until the first week of January including Christmas, this was previously £556.74 so in 10 days I have spent £150. This has been on a food shop and some spends on cycling gear, the rest has just been down to a lack of planning.

I'm really hoping that I will be able to find some time between mum duties and uni to find some extra money to boost it a little. I'm beginning to think that my debt payments in this quarter may have stretched me a little too much but I'm still going to try, if I could overpay the same each quarter (£1800) then I could potentially be debt free this time next year! I know that I couldn't be this stretched for a whole year but its a nice thought and it makes me feel that my goal DFD of Dec 18 isn't impossible.
    SPC 586
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 30th Sep 17, 4:30 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Ouch that sounds like a tight budget. Can you break it down to a daily amount so you know if it's realistic?

Maybe you need to rest and recharge your batteries today and then get back on track tomorrow. Sometimes your body is telling you to rest and its wise to listen to it, to ward off infections, etc.

Glad you found something to eat so you don't have to cook tonight . Hope you manage to get a locker as every little counts on your tight budget.

You're doing really well. Everyone has their bad days but you'll feel better if you rest today. I always suffer from low mood when I'm tired.
    My Diary http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5716867
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 October 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build an Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund
    Emergency Fund 1 = £818/Emergency Fund 2 = £203.76
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 30th Sep 17, 4:49 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Ouch that sounds like a tight budget. Can you break it down to a daily amount so you know if it's realistic?

Maybe you need to rest and recharge your batteries today and then get back on track tomorrow. Sometimes your body is telling you to rest and its wise to listen to it, to ward off infections, etc.

Glad you found something to eat so you don't have to cook tonight . Hope you manage to get a locker as every little counts on your tight budget.

You're doing really well. Everyone has their bad days but you'll feel better if you rest today. I always suffer from low mood when I'm tired.
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    It is a very tight budget, I plan on signing up to a couple of challenges in October to try and both boost income and also keep spends down. Its about £100 per month if I allow £100 for Christmas presents. This £100 will have to cover food, fuel for the car and any other day to day spends, everything else I have covered.

Thank you, I think today will be a recharge day, we haven't done much at all with our day, managed a couple of things around the house but thats it. For the past week or two I feel like I have just had a permanent headache.
    SPC 586
    • Nicnak
    • By Nicnak 1st Oct 17, 11:42 AM
    • 559 Posts
    • 2,782 Thanks
    Nicnak
    Going you get that locker so you can manage that budget. That really is a tight budget to stick to.

Right behind you following your journey and hong you get debt free when you want. Equally though, don't over stretch yourself. I find if I do that then I have a big blowout. It feels unmanageable and I just think why should I bother. The coat wasn't expensive at all.
    September 6th 2017 start Updated 25th NOV 17
    Credit Card £430 now: £1181 Tesco Loan £7500 = £6700 Car loan £17,500 = £9,875 Total = £25,330 £17,756 EMF #252
    Sealed pot challenge #589
    Pay off all your debts by Christmas #170
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 2nd Oct 17, 4:19 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Going you get that locker so you can manage that budget. That really is a tight budget to stick to.

Right behind you following your journey and hong you get debt free when you want. Equally though, don't over stretch yourself. I find if I do that then I have a big blowout. It feels unmanageable and I just think why should I bother. The coat wasn't expensive at all.
    Originally posted by Nicnak
    Thank you, I also find that if I stretch myself too far then I will have a blow out.

So I cycled in to uni again today so saved myself around £3 on parking and fuel. Spent £4.22 on food but my budget is still around the same as I had £5 back from a friend that I had forgotten about. I'm really struggling with a few things at the moment so I'm just doing what I can for now, haven't managed to list anything on Ebay yet and I am slacking with my surveys but I just don't have the time or motivation to do it.

Oh to add, payment for my loan has been taken today and interest added to car loan, I will update my signature shortly. Also received my £50 cashback from changing my broadband so I have put that in the bank but it is already in my budget.
    Last edited by DebtFreeDuo; 02-10-2017 at 4:22 PM.
    SPC 586
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 2nd Oct 17, 9:27 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    You're making progress DFD. Sometimes it feels like one step forward and one step back, but you are heading in the right direction so you will get there in the end .

You will also feel less tired as you get used to the cycling and your fitness increases.
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 3rd Oct 17, 5:15 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Not much to report today, only spent £2.50 on parking which I knew I would have to spend. I can't cycle on Tuesdays because of having to drop the LO off. I can't wait for January to be able to make another dent in this debt although I have to make it through Christmas without using the credit card first!
    SPC 586
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 4th Oct 17, 6:15 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    I don't think I counted my cashback from my broadband in my previous budget so the damage wasn't quite as bad as I thought, my budget to last until January is £429.77 although my birthday is between now and then and I usually get some money from my dad, I'm hoping I can put this in the debt repayment pot rather than on day to day spends but I know its there if needed.

Today wasn't too bad overall, the only negative of the day is that I couldn't cycle, I really wanted to but because I haven't been taking care of myself properly I felt really light headed this morning and decided that it wasn't worth the risk to save £2 on parking. Total spends for the day are £13.36 (11.36 food, 2.00 parking), when I compare my spends so far this month on food to a usual month I am doing extremely well, previously I probably would have easily spent £50 by now but I'm making my previous shop last and I am also working on getting the freezer contents down.
    SPC 586
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 4th Oct 17, 6:52 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 5,675 Thanks
    117pauline
    Dear Duo

I have just read through your diary and wanted to say I am going to be one of your cheerleaders on the side lines.

Just a couple of observations

Cycling - very impressed and I bet your body will thank you even if your aching muscles don't. I know it won't help your budget at all but I think you should record how many times you achieve it. Then you will see how much you have saved on parking which will help encourage you more.

It sounds you are running on empty and that's when it becomes hard to stick to your intentions. Do you have a stash of saved up toiletries etc that you could perhaps use to have a couple of pamper evenings.

Your birthday - please plan at least a little treat for yourself, on or near the day. Even if it takes an extra couple of weeks to get debt free.

What do you do for you? Self care sounds sounds indulgent but it is vital. Make a list of things that make you feel better and use it. You can have all sorts on the list and have one that includes cheap treats for you and your little one.

Good luck
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 4th Oct 17, 7:34 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Dear Duo

I have just read through your diary and wanted to say I am going to be one of your cheerleaders on the side lines.

Just a couple of observations

Cycling - very impressed and I bet your body will thank you even if your aching muscles don't. I know it won't help your budget at all but I think you should record how many times you achieve it. Then you will see how much you have saved on parking which will help encourage you more.

It sounds you are running on empty and that's when it becomes hard to stick to your intentions. Do you have a stash of saved up toiletries etc that you could perhaps use to have a couple of pamper evenings.

Your birthday - please plan at least a little treat for yourself, on or near the day. Even if it takes an extra couple of weeks to get debt free.

What do you do for you? Self care sounds sounds indulgent but it is vital. Make a list of things that make you feel better and use it. You can have all sorts on the list and have one that includes cheap treats for you and your little one.

Good luck
    Pauline
    Originally posted by 117pauline
    Thank you for such a lovely response, I do actually have a section on my budget spreadsheet where I have input the cost of everything for the bike vs the savings on car parking and fuel, I'm determined to make it pay for itself within a few months which it should do, even only cycling twice a week should save enough to pay for everything by the first few weeks back to uni after Christmas.

I do need to do something soon for myself, I feel like my emotions are all over the place at the moment and I feel a little broken, unfortunately I really don't know where to begin in repairing myself other than to just keep swimming, I'm sure I will get there soon. Thank you again, your words mean a lot and have perfect timing.
    SPC 586
    • 117pauline
    • By 117pauline 4th Oct 17, 8:20 PM
    • 464 Posts
    • 5,675 Thanks
    117pauline
    So your task tomorrow to come up with five things that will start your self care list. Just something simple but has to be pleasurable.

When your head is scrambled sometimes anything is better than nothing. Something small, just five minutes even will start you down the self care route. Just treat yourself as you would your best friend. We tend to listen to that nasty self sabotage voice rather than treating ourselves with care.

Being outside is something that gives me peace and helps me deal with the world.

Take care
    Pauline
    Don't get it perfect - Get it going
    Better Than Before
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 4th Oct 17, 8:47 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Good advice from Pauline You're doing really well and I know how great that makes you feel, but make time to rest and recuperate as well.

A good call not to cycle if you're feeling light headed.
    • Tea&Kittens
    • By Tea&Kittens 5th Oct 17, 11:11 AM
    • 170 Posts
    • 641 Thanks
    Tea&Kittens
    Be kind to yourself, Duo
    Excellent advice from Pauline!
    October: NSDs 6 / 17 NSDs in a row: 1 / 5
    I started my debtfree journey on 07 September 2017: Total: £20,521 £19847
    Barclaycard: £14659 £14435 Oct 2017 HSBC Credit Card : £3112 £3012 Oct 2017
    Overdraft: 350 £0 Oct2017 MBNA : 2400
    A journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step. I'm on my way!
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 5th Oct 17, 12:16 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Thank you all, I took the day of uni today (not missing anything too important) hoping this would help towards caring for myself, going to spend the evening getting on with lots of work once I have tackled the house stuff today, I have a huge to do list and I'm hoping by completing it I will feel a little better.
    SPC 586
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 5th Oct 17, 7:59 PM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    Finally done some surveys on PA and I'm already up to around £6 in 1 day, so much better than swagbucks! Also gained another £11.84 today through ebay and swagbucks, another £5 swagbucks voucher also on the way. NSD today too! Going to put all extra income into my budget so its not so tight.
    SPC 586
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 5th Oct 17, 8:39 PM
    • 2,300 Posts
    • 11,192 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    That's brilliant DFD
    • DebtFreeDuo
    • By DebtFreeDuo 6th Oct 17, 9:46 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 3,083 Thanks
    DebtFreeDuo
    So your task tomorrow to come up with five things that will start your self care list. Just something simple but has to be pleasurable.

When your head is scrambled sometimes anything is better than nothing. Something small, just five minutes even will start you down the self care route. Just treat yourself as you would your best friend. We tend to listen to that nasty self sabotage voice rather than treating ourselves with care.

Being outside is something that gives me peace and helps me deal with the world.

Take care
    Pauline
    Originally posted by 117pauline
    Its a little late but I've been trying to work on self care, yesterday and today I took the day off uni, I'm feeling really stressed about uni at the moment and feel much better for taking a little time out, I have got my head around so much more being at home than I do at lectures.

Had a nice long bath this morning and went for a walk yesterday to clear my head. I've also decided that me and the boy deserve some good quality time together so I am going to come up with a nice treat for tomorrow, not too costly and I'm not entirely sure what just yet but I'm really missing him at the moment and some good time together will really help.
    SPC 586
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,297Posts Today

5,301Users online

Martin's Twitter