Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 20th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 3Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    Sports Direct Credit Note Expiry in US Date Format
    • 20th Sep 17, 5:09 PM
    Sports Direct Credit Note Expiry in US Date Format 20th Sep 17 at 5:09 PM
    I can't see anything else on in the forums but other people must have had this problem:

I have a credit note from a Sports Direct 'refund' This states the following:

expiry: 07/10/2017

This would appear to indicate the 7th October 2017 i.e dd/mm/yyy format, the credit is still valid.

I have just tried to spend this, but have been told I can't as the date is in the American format instead meaning the expiry date was actually July the 10th 2017.

At no point does it say anywhere or has anyone mentioned that the expiry date should be in the US format. What is more confusing is that the sale is in the UK format so the note is using two date formats.

I am taking this complaint to Sport Direct, but what are my rights in terms of them honouring the validity the date as written?
Page 2
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 8th Oct 17, 12:39 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    Just a quick update for anyone in the same situation, I managed to get the Credit Note validated at the last minute!

Following contact with staff at the Stores@SportsDirect.com email address, I received a response from Rebecca saying that she had checked their system and could confirm that the credit note was valid.

Taking the credit note (and a copy of the email) into store, it worked and I could reclaim the remaining credit.

Now from previously going to store and with the staff there phoning the head office themselves and telling me there is nothing I could do, clearly something has changed which Sports Direct have not informed me of, but at least the problem was resolved. Someone has probably updated the expiry date in their system, but Sports Direct still don't want to admit there was a problem.

I hope this helps anyone who finds themselves in the same situation Sports Direct can and will honour the expiry dates as they are written, unfortunately it does take quite a lot of effort in contacting various staff at Sports Direct in the end to get this right!

One final bit of advice I have noticed is that if no case number is quoted in any responses from Sports Direct, then they will not help you, or pass the details of your conversation onto anyone else so you have to start the process with someone else there again!

If anyone else has come across this, please post here as I bet a lot of people have been affected by this.
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 8th Oct 17, 12:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    I should add that I never received a response from writing an official complaint letter in the end
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 8th Oct 17, 1:05 PM
    • 11,297 Posts
    • 14,837 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    Probably because Mike Ashley can't pay decent money and therefore hire people who can read and write letters

But that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?
    Married to an immigrant.
    • powerful_Rogue
    • By powerful_Rogue 8th Oct 17, 2:16 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 4,726 Thanks
    powerful_Rogue
    Probably because Mike Ashley can't pay decent money and therefore hire people who can read and write letters

But that's just my opinion, take it for what it's worth.
    Originally posted by MothballsWallet
    Bit harsh.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 9th Oct 17, 7:51 AM
    • 7,511 Posts
    • 5,408 Thanks
    pmduk

One final bit of advice I have noticed is that if no case number is quoted in any responses from Sports Direct, then they will not help you, or pass the details of your conversation onto anyone else so you have to start the process with someone else there again!
    Originally posted by 2017_M.S.E
    That applies with most automated customer service Departments. It's always in your interest to keep using the same case number
    • 2017_M.S.E
    • By 2017_M.S.E 9th Oct 17, 6:03 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    2017_M.S.E
    That applies with most automated customer service Departments. It's always in your interest to keep using the same case number
    Originally posted by pmduk
    Absolutely. And SD would tell me they were looking into my issue, but would then ignore me when I requested a case number!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

128Posts Today

1,470Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @furyboy86: @MartinSLewis I read your email, and decided to check my account interest rates. My main account = 0.0%(!) and my cash ISA =?

• Yes. Theyre being paid. They're responsible. Especially for a scam that's been reported over 20 times andseen vulne? https://t.co/Q0pHZ7iH3W

• Quite right.Broken system as the six week delay forces the most vulnerable into debt at a crisis moment https://t.co/951fogq5ej

• Follow Martin